What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Our First Spa Breakdown  (Read 5435 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Our First Spa Breakdown
« on: April 17, 2005, 09:10:27 pm »
Well, it finally happened.  
We went out to use the spa on Saturday evening, and were greeted by the "FLO2" error message on the panel.  This is for our Sundance Optima.  According to the owners manual, this is a flow switch error, requiring the services of a tech.  
So this morning I called our dealer, and they said they'd send someone out, but asked if we were open to trying some simple DIY stuff first.  I agreed, and was told to gently tap on the flow switch to see if it freed itself.  
They told me where to find the switch, and sure enough, just tapping the switch with my fingers was enough to get thing flowing again.  Saved having to wait for a repair tech.
So I learned something new today.
Brewman
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 09:11:04 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

Our First Spa Breakdown
« on: April 17, 2005, 09:10:27 pm »

J._McD

Re: Our First Spa Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 10:11:28 pm »
Brewman, I am glad to hear that, service can be that simple.  

First, we should live in a perfect world and never have a problem, but the flow switch is a safey switch that prevents further damage.

There are several things that will trigger a flow message that are easily corrected.  May all of your troubles be simple ones.

Having a dealer to talk to and get direction can be a very significant part of what you purchased, that will make you hot tub experience enjoyable for a very long time. ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 11:18:16 am »
They told me where to find the switch, and sure enough, just tapping the switch with my fingers was enough to get thing flowing again.  Saved having to wait for a repair tech.
 So I learned something new today.
Brewman

You are now certifiable!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 02:23:10 pm »
I've been called that before, but not in relation to spa stuff!
Brewman
Brewman

tam3331

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 06:38:57 pm »
We encountered the dreaded FLO2 message right after draining and refilling the spa for spring cleaning.  (the spa was working 2 days earlier)  I have contaced my local dealer and they stated they would send out a technician next week.   I read your DIY tip and I was wondering where you located the sensor switch.  By the way we have a Cameo 2003.  Also, you may want to know we have no pump action.  The display is working (letting us know there is power) however, when pushing the buttons, nothing happens.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 06:56:15 pm »
Is the flow switch a microswitch or a vane contraption?  If so, tapping it is definitely a way to free it.  But, if so, it could easily stick the next time it cycles from off to on or on to off....  not so?

I'd hope eventually spa manufacturers will use flow switches that measure water flow by the sort that have no moving parts but measures the actual moving water via hydrodynamics (these cost too much nowadays, I conjecture...).
--
Lee

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 08:53:23 pm »
The flow switch was just to the immediate right of the service panel.  I think it's in line with the water leaving the heater.  But it's been a while since I went in there.
I think it might be vane type, there was a little propeller looking thing that started spinning around once it freed up.  
 And it was a very gentle tap, not a big smack or anything.  I could see thru the plastic housing, and it looked like the propeller thing was stuck by some debris (calcium?).  It's been working fine ever since.
Brewman
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 09:10:31 pm »
Ah, that's good.  Could be a hunk of crud was stuck on it, it came off, and now it's good for another 100,000 revolutions.  :)
--
Lee

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 10:26:47 am »
If you take your index finger and your middle finger and make the V sign like victory, it would represent the normal open position of the flow switch.  The motion of moving water will closer one "finger" to the other making a magnetic connection.

The purpose is to protect components of the spa from further damage when someting is detected, i.e. "not enough water flow" or an air lock which would be no water movement throught the plumbing.  This would produce a "flashing flo" message and would disable the heater system.

Cause could be 1) dirty filter, 2) sucked in an air bubble during filter change, 3) sucked debris into pump thus restricting water flow, 4) low water level, sucked air bubble.  ALWAYS, turn the motor off during filter changes and change filters regularly = NO problem.  Solution, release air lock, remove filter, re-establish water flow.  Could be a bad circulation pump also.

On the other hand, if you get a "solid" flow ( it doesn't flash back and forth to temp then flo consistently), or "FLO2" the switch did not open when when the water flow stopped and the operation brains in the circuit board have thus detected a problem and have rendered the functions inactive in order to prevent subsequent damage.

Cause could be 1) debris in flow switch, twig, calcium, flakes, etc.  2) bad flow switch, (seldom but possible).  Something is not allowing the vane to naturally open when water flow has stopped.  Solution, whack it upside the head once or twice, if problem continues call your dealer.

It is nice to know that 70% of our service issues can be accomplished and resolved on the phone with a little DIY advice.  

It never ceases to amaze me how many people naturally assume it to be the dealers problem and do not even look into the equipment area out of curiosity.  Then you take the time and travel the required distance to find a dirty filter restricting water flow and they feel it should be covered under warranty.  

Congratulations, Brewman for accepting ownership and helping your dealer help you.  You are a 10 in my books.  There may be a time they must come out, but your assistance benefited you first and the dealer second.  If it was a different problem, they would be better able to anticipate the problem, the solution and arrived prepared to keep you in Hot Water and loving it.

All Service should be this easy. ;D

Tip of the day: Check and inspect your equipment area twice a year.  You never know what your are going to find.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 11:32:36 am »
Thanks for the kind words, J.
This particular FLO2 error was the solid one- nothing would activate, pumps, blower, etc.... Like you said, the flow switch was doing it's job.  Easy enough to solve, spa was quickly back in action, and I learned a new trick!
I have to credit my dealer's service people for a lot on this.  They walked me thru the process, after first asking if I was comfortable trying.  They'd have sent someone out if I was't able to find the switch, or if tapping didn't work.  Glad I saved them the trip.

Brewman
Brewman

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 03:21:42 pm »
I also have to add that one reason (among others) that I'm leaning heavily towards SD (beyond all the evidence from the good folks here) is the quality of their documentation.  The manual of the other spa I had said nothing about how to drain it totally, for example, in case of emergency, in freezing weather, and didn't even have the manuals online.  That sort of attention to customer service goes a long way towards addng pre-sales points when doing research.

As an engineer and all-around advanced (IMHO) DIYer, I'd much rather fix something myself if possible and hope the dealer/manufacturer would recognize that the owner isn't a moron and can often be trusted to do simple things like mentioned in this thread to (1) get him off the ground ASAP again and (2) save the dealer time and money in a service call.

Kudos to either/both SD and its dealers for their training and attitude!  (Now if I could I *find* one... :) But that's another thread, as those following my saga know....)
--
Lee

txwillie

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 09:59:36 pm »
As an engineer and all-around advanced (IMHO) DIYer, I'd much rather fix something myself if possible and hope the dealer/manufacturer would recognize that the owner isn't a moron

I'm also an engineer by profession. Most sales people and especially contractors think I'm a total prick because for the most part (at least with contractors) I know much more about what they are doing than they do. Example: this week I had both A/C units in my house replaced. I design HVAC for a living (really big complicated stuff like the Center for Nano and Molecular Science and Technology at UT Austin) and the fools installing my 6 tons of A/C get pissed when I point out stuff they did that wont even meet code.

Whatever.

Can you tell it is raining in Dallas today?

txwillie

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 11:14:29 pm »
Hi Tam331:

Here's what it looks like!

Drewski

8)

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 11:00:47 am »
That's a pressure switch.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 11:00:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42