What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Power Questions (wiring) please help!!!!  (Read 5412 times)

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
Power Questions (wiring) please help!!!!
« on: April 22, 2005, 10:21:53 am »
Hi Everyone!!!!

Ok my frustration level is THROUGH THE ROOF!!!!!

I am trying to get my home wired for the spa (still unsure which brand but have a really good idea).

The builder is quoting me a $710.00 price to prewire the house for a spa.  It is a 220 Volt 50 Amp prewire that has the panel where I want it at the house.

The one dealer stated that I needed a "double pole 50 amp GFCI #6wire with 4 wires".

I also would place this "prewired builders panel" within 20' or less from the spa but no closer than 5' due to code.

How much can I expect an electrician to charge to  run the wire from the panel to the spa area?

This is getting pretty frustrating as I am trying to minimize cost and get the job done properly.  

I am pretty confused and would like some input if you all have the time....thanks a bunch!!!!!

Best wishes!

Mike :)

Hot Tub Forum

Power Questions (wiring) please help!!!!
« on: April 22, 2005, 10:21:53 am »

BobRex

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Power Questions (wiring) please help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 10:49:03 am »
Well, my bill was $360 including all parts  for a 60amp service.  This was part of the electrical package for a brand new house, so it probably was cheaper than a retro.

#6 wire sounds right, but verify the 4 wires.  My Cameo only needed 3 (ground, hot, neutral).

Keep in mind that you also need to run from the outside panel to the spa with either sealtite or rigid conduit.

shabba34

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 10:52:00 am »
The 4 wire run from the main is correct for 50 amps.  I would imagine that the quote you have should include the whip running from the sub-panel to the spa IMO.

Guttboy

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 10:56:43 am »
The price does NOT include the conduit to the spa area whatsoever.  It is just the panel on the side of the house.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 10:57:07 am »
Mike,

Electrical hook up will vary depending on the town and state that you live. In New Jersey a typical electrical hook up will run about $625.00 for up to 50'. This would be done by a state licensed electrician. Price would typically include a 50 or 60 amp GFCI breaker, dual pole disconnect and trenching. Permits are paid for by the homeowner.
good luck with your project.

hottubber... ;D

Guttboy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 11:02:02 am »
Thanks Hottuber....just trying to minimize having two separate electricians working the deal and paying both.

If it can be done without the need for prewiring and comes in cheaper then Im going with a separate electrician....gonna have to make a bunch more calls because each Electrician I have met with has confused the heck out of me.

shabba34

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 11:07:05 am »
My electritions charge at flat fee of 500 for a complete job. ???
I'm sure it's different throughout the whole country.

dirtrubber

• red on the head
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 12:02:02 pm »
When I built my new house I had the electrician set a meter base with a generator connection and 6 empty breaker slots, this was only a hundred dollar up grade made wiring for the tub much easier and cheaper no need to run wire to main panel inside,

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 01:00:27 pm »
I just went through this with my new house and it cost me plenty.  First, pick your spa, don't get wiring done until you know what spa you are going with.  I had my house pre-wired for 50 amp service, then at the last minute had to switch to a different spa and needed one 20 amp service and one 30 amp service.  Yes it adds up to the same total amperage, but the wiring requirement is different.  

Frankly, having done it with two electricians (i.e. house wiring separate from the spa), I would caution you not to do it the way I did.  Wait until you buy the spa, have one guy do the whole job all at once.  There is a lot less room for confusion, double charges, wasted effort, graft, and corruption.

Regards,

Bill

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 01:22:29 pm »
I agree with Bill, make sure of your spa model before you wire, unless you go with the standard 50 amp. 220v four wire configuration.   Our spa uses a 60 amp. 3 wire configuration- doesn't need the neutral.  
So proceed at your own risk there.  As for cost, it does seem a little pricey from a new construction perspective, but you may have little choice.  It's much easier to to this before the walls are sealed up.  
I suppose you could try and see if the builder would bend on price, or if they'd be ok with your own electrician if you found a cheaper bid.  
Brewman
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 02:53:10 pm »
Mike,

Here's my take on SOME electricians. This is from the recent price quoting for my own project.

They hear your getting a tub. Your obviously spending some $$$$$$$ to buy it so ... your not an elderly person living on a fixed income. They know that you need their services and since they can possibly make some extra money and obviously you have that extra money, they charge a little more. BTW, I see nothing wrong with professionals giving a break to elderly fixed income people - I think it should be standard practice!

Anyway, you need something they have and your going to have to pay for it. I was told that here in NJ a 200 Amp upgrade is about $1500 to do. All the electricians came in from $1650 to $1800 and I know that my upgrade is going to be a piece of cake! Then the tub install was quoted at about $800. This is to run about 30 feet of wire and go out the back of the house underneath the deck that's being built.

I believe that if a tub wasn't involved the electrical upgrade would have been cheaper (then again without the tub, I wouldn't need the upgrade - the catch 22).

Just my take on it - may be wrong.

Good Luck!

Vinny

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 03:52:46 pm »
Plan for a 60 amp service. Years ago when I purchased my first Coleman we went with 60 even though the spa required 50.

Last Feb. I upraded my Coleman to a new 706 and it requires a 60 amp service.

My electrician told me if we had to change the breaker out it would have been more expensive. Even more so than the cost of the new breaker.

Spahappy :D

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 08:03:10 pm »
I just went and got all my supplies.  I was given the gfci dual polie 50amp from the dealer for free.  I also got the 6 3 wire which is three wires and a neutral.  that was 100 canadian, I also got a 60amp breaker for my box. for 19can.  

So 120 for everything and my dad is an electrician and he has been ordered to put it in for me.  Im pretty lucky.

My question is, is there a way to hook all of this up so it is cheaper on your monthly bill?  I dont know for sure, just thought I would aske

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 08:58:51 pm »
So 120 for everything and my dad is an electrician and he has been ordered to put it in for me.  

You ordered him to do it? And he doesn't smack you upside your head!

I guess being a police officer and carrying a gun has it privileges  ;D LOL

fletch49

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 09:04:58 pm »

My question is, is there a way to hook all of this up so it is cheaper on your monthly bill?  I dont know for sure, just thought I would aske

You could always tap into the neighbors power supply...or better yet., just knock on his door and ask him how he's stealing power to supply his grow op, as grow operations seem to be a bit of an out of control plague in Ontario.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 09:04:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42