What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa reviews  (Read 3907 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Spa reviews
« on: April 23, 2005, 10:38:57 am »
There are a few reviews in the Reviews section that were obviously done by people who do not own the spa they reviewed.  It is my opinion that the Reviews section would be better served to remove those reviews that fit that description.  Is the validity of the reviews, especially the averages of the reviews that used, compromised if non-owner reviews are present?  I think so.  What do you think? ???
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

Spa reviews
« on: April 23, 2005, 10:38:57 am »

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Re: Spa reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 10:55:17 am »
I agree.

Personally, I don't really find the review section all that helpful - the idea is good, but it's efficacy is flawed.

These reviews are either 10 or 0.  Most of the reviews come from new owners who are still in that euphoric stage of newbie - ism.

I don't think you should be able to review your tub until after a certain time period - say one year. This allows the newness to fade and the chance for any real problems to surface (if any). Also, there are many reviews that are quite suspect (as you mention).

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 12:37:43 pm »
I agree that unless someone buys the spa they shouldn't review it. I think it's unfair that someone who spent 20 minutes in a spa to give it a review. I had a bad experience with the local Hot Spring dealer - does that mean HS is garbage - NO!

I also think that it would be nice that all the initial reviews have a follow up review. I agree that the initial review is going to be **WOW**  since you just bought the tub so maybe a 6 month review and possibly a longer term might serve better (I think Bill has done this). It's not until you live with something that you find out it's nuances. I bought my car and after having it a while I started saying "why did they do that" but my initial reaction was "WOW, what a great car". Would I recommend the car - YES but I would also let people know what I find "annoying".

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 12:58:49 pm »
I posted about this a few months ago.....That some reviews are only after a wet test...and with some wet tests if you do not have the proper guidance from your sales person you may not be getting the full benefits of the spa....I think ownership is the only real way for a credible review....some disagreed with me....but I think over all it is much more fair.....

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 04:37:22 pm »
There are a few reviews in the Reviews section that were obviously done by people who do not own the spa they reviewed.  

Windy,
Just to play Devil's advocate, how can you conclude they didn't own the spa? Any example?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 05:54:02 pm »
I don't think you should be able to review your tub until after a certain time period - say one year.

Jc

I agree with  your sentiment and logic, but a year would be too long as models change annually.  In my review I did one at 3 months, then posted updates at periods of times afterward.  I wish a user could modify thier reviews and state how long they have owned it in their review.  Viewers should be able to take the newness factor in account when they read those.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 09:46:47 pm »

Windy,
Just to play Devil's advocate, how can you conclude they didn't own the spa? Any example?

Check out Arctic Yukon, Sweetwater Palermo, Hot Springs Sovereign, MasterSpas LS850 just to name a few......very evident to me which are not owners......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

windsurfdog

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 09:56:12 pm »

I agree with  your sentiment and logic, but a year would be too long as models change annually.  In my review I did one at 3 months, then posted updates at periods of times afterward.  I wish a user could modify thier reviews and state how long they have owned it in their review.  Viewers should be able to take the newness factor in account when they read those.

Terminator, I'm planning an anniversary review of my LSX since my experience with the tub has been consistent from installation to now (knock on metal framing  ;)).  I think anniversary reviews are pertinent moreso on the manufacturer's response(s) to any problems or the complete lack of problems over a year's time.  I believe this tells new buyers a lot about manufacturers and their lines in general.  I feel that reviews should not necessarily be editable by reviewers but that a mechanism should be available for appending to the reviews by the original reviewer.

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 10:53:08 am »
Someone check my temperature... Windsurf is starting to make sense to me.    ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

Guttboy

• In San Antonio looking for a spa....
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 12:13:54 pm »
I posted about this a few months ago.....That some reviews are only after a wet test...and with some wet tests if you do not have the proper guidance from your sales person you may not be getting the full benefits of the spa....I think ownership is the only real way for a credible review....some disagreed with me....but I think over all it is much more fair.....

I also agree that you ought to be an owner and place updates for reviews...but how can you control that?  Perhaps deleting the review if it has not been updated after the initial purchase?  Hmmmm very hard to figure that out.

I do find wet test reviews helpful....I have written a few but as I have found....when you wet test a second time or more your opinion of the spa may change!  This happened with my Sundance reviews.

I will always offer this advice to folks....

1)  WET TEST
2)  Compare brands and models that you may not have considered...you may find one that really fits your needs.
3)  Narrow down the competition to 2 or 3 spa's that you like if possible.
4)  WET TEST AGAIN!!!!!!!!

I probably would never have wet tested a spa until stumbling upon this forum and that advice has been INVALUABLE.

windsurfdog

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 12:18:12 pm »
Someone check my temperature... Windsurf is starting to make sense to me.    ;)

I've got this rectal thermometer...... ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 12:18:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42