What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about tub height  (Read 3211 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Question about tub height
« on: April 09, 2005, 10:45:06 pm »
I am planning to make the top lip of the tub about 18" high off the deck

As I was ordering my tub, I took down some measurements of the seat heights of where we would get into the tub. One seat is approx 23" below the lip and the other was approx 27" below.

I was thinking that 18" is the middle of the tub so it shouldn't be. Do you think it'll be a problem getting in or out of the tub? It would be a step up/down of approx 5" and 9".

Thanks for your input!

Hot Tub Forum

Question about tub height
« on: April 09, 2005, 10:45:06 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Question about tub height
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:21:37 pm »
Find out how high from the lip of your spa the steps that come with it are, and use that as a rough guide.  
Proably varies by spa.
Brewman
Brewman

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 02:23:21 pm »
 I know one of the "selling points" of one of the spas I was looking at, was that the entry steps were the same height as the cool down/ entrance seat. That way one could straddle the two when entering the spa.

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 03:32:06 pm »
WATCH OUT!!!!!! I was told by my dealer that 18 inches was the "right " height for safety purposes and ease of entry! After I installed it at 18 inches I went looking for a spa cover lifter  to accomidate my situation. Every spa cover dealer looked at me like I had 3 eyes when I called/emailed them about a cover lifter for that! I have a master spa so I couldn't attach cover lifter to sides of spa without putting reinforcement behind plastic side  panels. I couldn't find one to attach to the deck with 18 inches sticking up. So make sure you can get a cover lifter for your situation! Good luck!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 04:19:29 pm »
Thanks to all for the info!

Brewman,

I didn't think of that but I think the steps are around 12" - 14" high (they're just regular plastic steps) so I guess I'll be OK.

johnvb,

Actually I was thinking the same thing. Originally I was thinking about "walking" right into the tub but it may be better to straddle the tub and get in.

Drifter,

Thanks for the warning. I talked to the dealer about it and the Covermate III will work OK. Artesian uses wood behind their skirting, I think Master is all metal.

Thanks again!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 05:48:30 pm »
Our across the street neighbor has her spa sunk into her deck, and I don't believe that she has a cover lifter.
I think she just folds it over and somehow leans it up against the deck railing.
Brewman
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 05:57:09 pm »
Brewman,

The Covermate III is similar to the Sundance cover lifter. It has pistons to help it up and has a wind lock on it to prevent it from crashing down on us. I also like the idea that it will provide us some privacy while elevated.

The dealer said that with the Covermate III, they will have to install it and leave off 1 screw to the  equipment access panel but that it's not a problem. I believe it installs under the acyclic lip of the spa.

Vinny

J._McD

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 11:36:55 pm »
First consider service access.  

Knee high is a good choice, very convenient to sit on the edge and swing your legs in, this will give you a firm footing when you enter.  

Consider what you will be looking out at.  You do not want to be lower than an obstruction that will block your view plus you don't want to look at a brick wall.

Good point about the cover lifter, you don't want to be suprised, your dealer can give you measurments needed for clearance.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 06:55:53 am »
First consider service access.  

Consider what you will be looking out at.  You do not want to be lower than an obstruction that will block your view plus you don't want to look at a brick wall.

I asked the question about service earlier in the year and I'm planning on putting a "trap door" into the deck to service the tub.

The tub's going to be put on a deck, so there won't be any obstructions. Actually the cover will be blocking a view to the neighbor's yard - LOL!

Thanks for the info!!!

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 10:46:00 am »
it's good to have a privacy barrier.  Trap door access can be a problem if you are in the snow belt.  Moisture swells up the wood and freezes the trap shut.  

Design the trap to be in sections, they get really heavy when you taking them out or putting them back.  Customers also get upset IF you leave any pry marks or chip the wood so think about how easy it is to open you need to have a good grip on the lift.  Forget about the "finger holes" your fingers aren't that strong.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 05:39:37 pm »
We recently suffered a great trajedy here in West Palm Beach when a certain famous pro golfer's grandchild drown in his sunken spa.  Really.  Think real hard about it.  If you sink the spa into the surround, you are giving up a whole lot of advantages that portable spas offer:  Safety, service access (remember service is not always confined to just the access panel), ability to trade up, accessory compatibility, to name a few.

Regards,

Bill

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 08:45:48 pm »
J._McD,

The main deck will be between 38" to 54" tall. I figured I could get under the deck and lift out the door with some help. I wasn't thinking of snow and ice but I guess I'll have a lot of hot water to melt it if need be. ;D

Bill,

I know about the tragedy in Florida. I don't have younger little ones (10 years old is my youngest) and he knows how to swim. I wouldn't want to put the tub flush because of the tripping hazard and even I would trip on it. I have size 13 BOZO feet and have been known to knock things around with my feet.

Hopefully the weight of the cover alone is a deterrent and I plan on using the locks IF I have younger kids around. But I know nothing is a guaranty.

I've thought about it and after reading a lot of posts it seems that most leaks are in the equipment bay unless the tub is prone to leaking. With that said, I'll have access to 3 sides. And the 4th would be a sqeeze!

This will probably be the only tub I will ever own, at least where I live now. Once my boys grow up (and that's happening too soon) and leave the house, my wife and I will probably downsize and IF my tub ownership is as great of an experience as I'm hoping, maybe I will get another.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Vinny

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 08:45:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42