What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Consumer Reports & Ozone  (Read 3513 times)

Rmack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Consumer Reports & Ozone
« on: April 01, 2005, 05:11:09 pm »
Just read an article in consumer reports testing ionizing air cleaners and the dangers of ozone that is produced in the process.

Recent studies of ozone's cumulative effects also raise concerns. A 14 year study of 95 urban areas in the U.S. found a clear link between small increases in ozone and higher death rates according to the article.

Ozone Raises Other Threats
   While ozone dissipates indoors, it can create other pollutants in the process. Research suggests that ozone reacts with the terpenes in lemon - and pine - scented cleaning products and air fresheners, creating formaldehyde-a carcinogen-and other irritants. Those byproducts can be absorbed by beds and carpets, and be released over an extended time frame. Research has also found that ozone reacts with terpenes to create additional ultrafine particles, which are hard to filter and can go deep into lungs.

The full article can be found in the May 05 Consumer Reports.

Ron

Hot Tub Forum

Consumer Reports & Ozone
« on: April 01, 2005, 05:11:09 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Consumer Reports & Ozone
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 05:13:54 pm »
Ron,

That is a great article ....but I am unsure if any of it applies to ozone in a Hot tub environment ...

alwaysperky

• Hail the flashlight king!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 08:27:45 pm »
I've been so puzzled by the fact that Consumer Reports will compare everything from electric tooth brushes to BBQ grills to cars, to................., but to date haven't taken on the challenge of doing the same with spas. After learning and listening to all the rhetoric from the manufactures over the last 6 months, I'd find it an amazingly interesting study.  Wouldn't you? Can you see the team assigned to it too?.............dang, we've got to spend the next 6 months testing spas. Ok Bob,Ok Betty slip into those Speedo's and get started!  Tough duty! ;D ;D
Must be too complicated for them. Thank goodness the world has this forum to help navigate through it all.

Greenraisin

• See you down life's highway!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 02:02:32 pm »
I suspect "testing" spas is something like "testing" art. It's different for everyone who sees it or uses it. Just reading all the opinions on this forum would be enough to convince them they don't want to tackle this!

It would be nice, though, to see the results of a good comparative analysis of the reliabilities, efficiencies, etc… Then folks could decide which ones  “performs” best and then see which one of those feels the best!
Do you think they would take volunteers for this one?

hair

• artesian gives lust, jealousy gives regret
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 05:03:24 pm »
i bought a panasonic cordless phone consumer reports rated as a "best buy" according to their studies.  well the phone sucked!  the battery was completely dead in 3 months.  i had to go out and buy a 20 dollar metal hydride battery, since i had no problems.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 05:03:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42