What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: water chemicals for dummies!! help  (Read 7694 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
water chemicals for dummies!! help
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:17:53 am »
Well I figure, while I am waiting for my tub, I might as well learn as much as possible.

The dealer says that I will need bromine, shock, ph up and down, and something for alk.   Now he showed me a product that also softens water which makes the water better.  

I looked at the wall and there is all kinds of other products.  I was told that with an ozonator you do not need the chemical that makes the water clear.  

What about bubbles suds how to deal with that issue.

I guess what I am asking if someone can be so kind as to post an idiots guide to caring for your spa.  I would like to know that basic water caring guidelines so that when my tub comes and the dealer is explaining the setup, I will not feel like a dummy.

Thanks alot.  

Hot Tub Forum

water chemicals for dummies!! help
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:17:53 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: water chemicals for dummies!! help
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 09:29:03 am »
Just a quick thought. Does your dealer offer water testing. It might help to take a sample of your tap water in to see where you stand now.    My thinking is if your tap water is 7.0 as mine is, you might never need PH down.   Will your tub come with a starter kit so you can learn what you will need?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:37:18 am »
I do get a starter kit with my tub.  They said that they will also give me a tutorial while they are setting it up.  I just would like to feel comfortable with the chemicals rather than just jumping in.

As for my water, I am an aquarium nerd as well.  Last time I tested my water in this area I belive that ph was around 8 to 8.2.  I live in hamilton ontario canada if that helps.  I could be wrong.  I will try and find my old aquarium testing kit and take a look.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 04:39:25 pm »

autoplay

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 09:31:04 pm »
I would go with Di-chlor verses Bromine.  Investigate all avenues prior to committing. Also,steer clear of Baqua spa sanitizers.  I don't care personally, for sanitizing in hydrogen peroxide.

Lastly,as someone mentioned,check out Vermonters post on a different spa board. He has a formula which I hear,is FO0LPR0OF :)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:08:39 pm »
thanks for the advice.  I will go and check it out as soon as I finish this post.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 10:13:12 pm »
 ??? ??? ??? ???what is di-chlor?  I thought you need bromine. ??? ??? ???

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 10:57:23 pm »
Dichlor is stabilized chlorine. Don't let anyone scare you off of Bromine. Works great!

As Autoplay said....stay clear of Baqua products. HP is for wounds, not hot tubs IMO. :P

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 10:57:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42