What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: used spa  (Read 2488 times)

robert

used spa
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:19:33 am »
My neighbor has a used cal spa for $400. I dont know the year , but it still works( heater, pump,controls) and the tub itself looks good. The only problem is the wood surround is falling apart and needs to be replaced. I am a carpenter and can build a new one though. The only markings I could see  is a large CAL embossed  in the tub center.      Any advice?

Hot Tub Forum

used spa
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:19:33 am »

fletch49

Re: used spa
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:46:17 am »
$400, and it doesn't leak, it turns on and off and it has heat? Giddy up! I wouldn't put it inside, it's bound to leak in the very near future.  I wouldn't spend much money fixing it up either.

New tubs run around 5-10k and up, so if your not really in the market for a new tub, but wouldn't mind sitting in hot water and having a drink....go for it.

Make sure it's safe. I'd look for a UL or ETL rating on it, and make sure old neighbour hasn't taken it upon himself to rewire the tub or something like that.  

robert

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:25:50 am »
Thanks SPAZZ, I think I will take a chance on it.
I will post my "fun" with it.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 11:41:30 am »
I think that for $400. you can't go wrong. Make sure you have a chainsaw for when you are ready to dispose of it. Look at it this way, you say it runs, heats and holds water,...and it's a Cal Spa? :P
Regardless of the brand, I would move forward with it. When you get serious about buying a new one, you will know what you want.
ggod luck...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 11:32:37 am »
Go for it, and take lots of pictures.

Is it insulated? Key question.

If it's not insulated, you may want to try the old "shipping pellets or house insulation in trash bags stuffed into the cabinet" method. Also, if you are building a new cabinet for it anyway, (and if it's not insulated) you should put some foam board all around the inside of the new woodwork, and sneek some in between the two-by's on the bottom of the tub.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

robert

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 12:12:00 am »
Thanks chas , It is insulated. I took the side cover off and is it in bad shape! I have not bought it yet but he let me look it over. The motor is so corroded that I cant beleive it still runs , but it does. It looks like its been just sitting in water. The thing is, the tubb itself is in perfect condition. The motor will have to be replaced.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 12:12:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42