What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: And the (Cal Spa) Saga Continues.....  (Read 6954 times)

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
And the (Cal Spa) Saga Continues.....
« on: March 16, 2005, 11:54:36 am »
I finally got all my blisters repaired and the spa was working fine for a few months but now it is has developed a significant leak. The water level drops about 1" per day and this occurs whether or not the pump is running. I have filled it twice and left the pump off and the water level always drops all the way down to the (2) bottom suction outlets. This tells me that one or both of the drain outlets is the cause.

My understanding is that the only way to access the piping for these outlets is from the bottom. This apparently involves raising the spa off the ground and crawling underneath, digging out all of the foam insulation and looking for the leaks. There isn't any water visible inside the equipment area and since the spa has full foam insulation the other 3 access panels reveal nothing but packed foam.

So, does anyone have any experience to share with respect to making these types of repairs?

Or, perhaps I should just ask again if anyone would be willing to "Take My Cal Spa Please......." :-/

Hot Tub Forum

And the (Cal Spa) Saga Continues.....
« on: March 16, 2005, 11:54:36 am »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: And the (Cal Spa) Saga Continues.....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 11:58:17 am »
If possible I would tip it on end. That is what I do and it makes it fairly easy to repair the suctions.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 12:02:14 pm »
gary,

I'm not sure that yorag knows that the suction are leaking. I would put the spa on cement blocks, 2 high in each corner and refill the spa. You can get under the spa this way and probe with a hollow aluminum rod to the area that water is coming from. Once found, dig gingerly through the foam to expose the leak.
I am not a service tech., but this is the way I've done it in the past. Does that make any sense? It has worked for me.

hottubber... ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 12:06:44 pm by hottubber »

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 12:10:11 pm »
That certainly seems like the easiest solution, however I am concerned about whether or not the cabinet will support the weight of the spa when it's on it's side. Plus, I wouldn't be able to locate the leak when it's on it's side either. ???

I think the idea behind raising it up is that you can put a little water in it and actually see where the leak is.
I am just not thrilled with the thought of putting the spa up on blocks, crawling underneath, digging out foam and then trying to make repairs.  :'(

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 12:15:40 pm »
That certainly seems like the easiest solution, however I am concerned about whether or not the cabinet will support the weight of the spa when it's on it's side. Plus, I wouldn't be able to locate the leak when it's on it's side either. ???

I think the idea behind raising it up is that you can put a little water in it and actually see where the leak is.
I am just not thrilled with the thought of putting the spa up on blocks, crawling underneath, digging out foam and then trying to make repairs.  :'(

"you need to know when to hold 'em and
know when to fold em.
Know when to walk away,
And know when to run."

:-[
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 01:51:37 pm »
Might try some dye in the water as it should help you before, and during your dig through the insulation. Also makes pin pointing the leak easier. Never done it but have read about that method before.

"A 100 shot of Nitrious is like a hot chick with an STD........you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences....."

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 02:45:19 pm »
Might try some dye in the water as it should help you before, and during your dig through the insulation. Also makes pin pointing the leak easier. Never done it but have read about that method before.

That's a good idea! Thanks!

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 08:31:13 pm »
The first thing I would do is..... call your local qualified service technician, he will know what to do! ;)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 10:37:21 pm »
They have those?   -- Just kidding since I use to be a service tech -- not on spas though

r100rs

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 12:09:14 am »
It would be my guess that all the time the spa sat empty while waiting for Cal to answer with a fix for your shell allowed water to freeze in the lower lines comming from the lower intakes. This would cause the flex tubing to form cracks that may not have sufaced immediatly but eventually gave and started leaking.

I would do what both Gary and Hottubber suggested; tip the spa up on end and poke around until you find the wetter foam, start digging there. The foam will be darker where the leak has been the longest. If you don't find it right away put the spa on blocks and start where you dug moving inward until you find the leak.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 08:47:39 am »
Yorag,
I hate to say it but, this is one of those situations where the white flag is required. Absorb your losses and move on. It doesn't seem that your Cal problems are going to stop here. There are alot of good brand spas available today, as you are now well aware. Do you really want to continue the Cal saga?
I am sure all of us here would like to see you happy again in your spa, I don't think it will happen with this one...
good luck and Happy St. Patty's day..

hottubber... ;D

txwillie

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 10:00:34 am »
Chas and Hottubber are right. Look at what you have, an old tub that has been nothing but problems, with a shell that has been patched in maybe a dozen or more places (I got tired of reading the "take my......" post) and now something leaks, could be plumbing, could be the shell. I am by no means any kind of expert on spas, just an owner here, but it was time to let it go back when you had the blistering problem.

txwillie

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 12:54:50 pm »
The weather here in California (SF Bay Area) hasn't been cold enough to freeze this winter, so I doubt that any of the flex pipes broke as a result of freezing. More than likely, a connection has come unglued or seperated. It was fine for about a month, then just started losing water.

It's not as simple as just going out and buying a new one and having it installed. 1) We can't afford to spend $6,000 right now on a new spa. 2) I have a hefty property tax bill and income tax bill that need to be paid next month. 3) Now that someone has built a $1,000,000  home directly behind mine, I no longer have easy access for installation and removal, a new spa would have to be rigged into my backyard with a crane.
I'd rather try to repair what I have than to be without a spa altogehter for an extended period of time. Unless of course one of you local California spa dealers wants to make me a super deal on a new one including removal and disposal of the old one...... ;)

BIG_PAPA

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 01:20:00 pm »
This may not be the answer your looking for,but have you thaught about buying a new spa?

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 02:32:29 pm »
This may not be the answer your looking for,but have you thaught about buying a new spa?

Did you even bother to read the last post before asking this???

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 02:32:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42