What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Grandee vs. Niagra  (Read 2794 times)

popsicle

• 2005 HS Grandee
Grandee vs. Niagra
« on: March 11, 2005, 08:52:57 pm »
Before I start my question, let me thank you all in advance.  Those of you who spend so much time helping people who are new to spas/tubs are very helpful and I have already learned a ton by spending hours reading through the various threads on this forum.

I have pretty much narrowed my search down to the HS Grandee and the Caldera Niagra.  Similar size.  Similar seating configuration.  Within $1K of each other pricewise.

I've received some information that "adding air to the water using a blower is not a good idea" and that "blowers are breeding grounds for bacteria".  The Caldera spa does have a blower on it.  Any thoughts?

Also, I observed that the Caldera spa uses one filter cartridge as opposed to the three in the Grandee.  Seems a little undersized for that much water.

From what I've read, both companies are well-respected (owned by the same bigger company) and I may be deciding between something nice and something else nice, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask.

Thank you.

Hot Tub Forum

Grandee vs. Niagra
« on: March 11, 2005, 08:52:57 pm »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
Re: Grandee vs. Niagra
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 10:13:50 pm »
popsicle,

I have not looked at the niagra, so I can't comment on it in particular.  

A blower will generally cool down the spa.  Even blowers that use the warm air from the insulation in thermo-pane style tubs will go through that "supply" pretty quickly.  Some people really like the blower because it does cool the tub down, and is nice in the summer.  I don't know of anyone who says the bubbles are theraputic.

People who like them like the cool-off factor and some people say they help with aromatherapy.  Others report no difference.  

People that don't like them quote one more pump that can fail, or a barely used feature you pay for.

Most people don't care either way.  If the prices are both good, don't let it be a factor in picking a tub.  I have never heard that blowers are "breeding grounds for bacteria".  A well santized tub is a well sanitized tub, regardless of the blower, IMO.

I own a HS grandee and love it.  My grandee has 5 filters, not 3.  We rotate which filter is on the circulation pump, and enjoy having > 1 filter.  In another few years when the filters look like they are starting to "go" we will upgrade to the tri-x filters by HS, which truly sound cool.

-Ed

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 10:19:56 am »
I have never heard that blowers are "breeding grounds for bacteria".  A well santized tub is a well sanitized tub, regardless of the blower, IMO.

Most tubs with blowers automatically run the thing once or twice in a twenty-four hour period. This empties the air plumbing system of water, and then lets it refill with fresh water. These systems were added to avoid the problem of bad water sitting in the air lines for long periods of time - and breeding things which don't belong in human lungs.

So I would say that modern tubs have blower systems which are not breeding grounds, but older ( and some really cheap new tubs ) are, or were.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:38:31 am »
Both the Niagara and Grandee models that you are

referring to are very nice. I think you'll be happy with

either one. I personnally like the air blower feature, not

that it is used alot, but if you don't have it, you can't

use it in the summer, it gives a nice feel to the water

with the aromatherapy. That is just my take on it.  To

date I don't see it as a breeding ground for anything.

Good luck with your decision. ;D

smartymose

• Finally got our Grandee!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 01:20:23 pm »
Popsicle --
You are down to the same 2 tubs that we were.  We went and purchased the 04 Grandee.  Felt better with some of the features, the filter system as mentioned(ours also is a 5 filter system, motomassage, and slightly bigger for the family),  and overall the dealer.  Which is a critical point in any tub purchase, IMHO.  

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, they both have great feature/functions.  

Now, if only the temps could rise a little for the concrete to be poured, I'll be really happy!  

Still waiting on the weather to enjoy tubbing...Smartymose

I know.... PATIENCE!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 01:48:01 pm »
... and overall the dealer.  Which is a critical point in any tub purchase, IMHO.  

Good point.

I'd go with the Granagra.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ArcherC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 06:24:01 pm »
I guess I will throw in my 2 cents because I sell both of these spas and really like them for different reasons. Having said that, to me the most important things for you to look at when comparing these models are the dealer and the wet test. The features on the spa will make some difference but if it were me buying the spa as a consumer, I would go with the dealer that has the better reputation and service department. If both company's look equal, I would say wet test both and see which fits you better. If you have already done that and still cannot decide then here are the features that each of these spas offer over the other.
Grandee:
100% no bypass filtration, and optional upgrade to Tri-X.
SpAudio ready if interested.
2 Moto Massages. (Deciding factor for some)
Optional Remote Control, Navigator.
Soothing Seven Jets
Drain on bottom of Floor.
Titanium Heater.
Geneva:
Larger Pumps, 2 2.5HP VS. 2 1.65HP
Atlas Neck massage system.
External Multi Colored Fiber Optic Lighting.
Multi Colored lighting in hand Rail and behind water fall.
Air Blower, some consider this an upgrade, others do not.
Standard Ozonator.

Now you just need to decide which features are most important to you.
I hope this helps in some way.
Caleb

popsicle

• 2005 HS Grandee
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 08:08:11 pm »
Thank you all for responding.  I hear you on the point about the importance of the dealer.  I like, and hear good things about, both so I'm going to do the only thing a self-respecting man can do in this situation...
let my wife make the decision between the two.

Popsicle
ps.  i hope you get enough warm days to get your pad poured Smartymose.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 08:18:30 pm »
I can't stress this enough,

WET TEST!!!

Get the suits, get your wife, and get wet!  I'm sure that will help make the decision!

Both are great tubs!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 08:18:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42