What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Frog  (Read 5071 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Spa Frog
« on: February 02, 2005, 03:34:46 pm »
My dealer is now carrying the Spa frog.   Comments from users? What are you paying for them?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Frog
« on: February 02, 2005, 03:34:46 pm »

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Re: Spa Frog
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 03:48:03 pm »
Think we're paying $26.95 from our dealer.  They sell the one with the LeisureTime name on it but it's the same thing.  (the actual unit has the little 'frog' on the top)  

So far it's been great.   We only went a couple months without but since we've been using it we seem to use a bit less chemicals and the water has been easier to keep clear.  

Now that we're thinking of switching to dichlor I may consider the Nature2 as that's what most people seem to mention.  Not sure if there's of a difference between them.  The frog is the only one that is compatible with bromine though I think.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 03:58:35 pm »
the frog is bromine and silver based minerals...it is compatible with di chlor...it is nature two that I understand that is not...

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 04:08:27 pm »
I used the spa frog (LeisureTime version) until Sundance introduced the SunPurity (N2), both with dichlor.  Same results with both.  The frog can be used with bromine or chlorine, N2 with chlorine.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 04:18:50 pm »
Hmm, I think my dealer said $19.99, maybe I will try it the next time I stop by.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 04:47:59 pm »
19.99 sounds like a great price to me.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 04:49:26 pm »
that is a great price....the minerals normally are more than that.....

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 09:36:09 am »
I noticed recently that there are alot of manufacturers that have incorporated the SPA FROG into their plumbing system. It seems to be a no-brainer when all you do is replace cartridges on a monthly basis for the bromine and every 4 months for the mineral cartridge.
Convenience is the name of the game here. ;D

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 11:28:56 am »
I noticed recently that there are alot of manufacturers that have incorporated the SPA FROG into their plumbing system. It seems to be a no-brainer when all you do is replace cartridges on a monthly basis for the bromine and every 4 months for the mineral cartridge.
Convenience is the name of the game here. ;D

I know Marquis was the first to make it standard on all of their spas....Catalina offers it as a upgrade ...who else is now incorporating into their systems...

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 11:38:38 am »
The spa frog is a great system once people understand it! like any other system there are specifics to follow at start up and you will be fine.

My only complaint is the fact that you can't see when your out of bromine other than when your levels start to drop in water testing. I was on the phone with them yesterday and they are going to at least start putting replacement cycle on the bottle so that you will know when to change it.

Chances are if you go through your bromine in 3 weeks to start you will stay in the 3 to 4 week cycle and need to have a new cartridge on hand...

UnderTheStars

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 12:35:08 pm »
Hey wmccall!  I think the spa frog is great.  Used it initially 'cause it came w/my start-up stuff.  When it was time to change it, I did a lot of web research and decided to stay w/the frog rather than N2.  (no reason other than it was working for me and they are two different products.)

I'm using chlorine, the frog, and HS ozone unit.  I only add enough chlorine (1/4 tsp) to bring the level up to .5ppm. and that's when I exit the tub.  I've also left the tub alone for a full week several times.  If not using the tub, the ozone & frog have been enough without anything else.  (no shock before or after.)  I'm sure that will raise some eyebrows but I've got 6 months on this system with no problems.

What I don't know is why the frog is not sold/used more widely - it works great.  I couldn't buy it locally and ordered from Doc.

hottubber

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 01:18:03 pm »
At the Atlantic City Pool/Spa show, there were a few other manufacturers which are currently comtemplating adding the Frog to their program. ;D
I don't recall which manufacturers specifically, but the word is out there that the Frog is doing a fine job for the dealers that sell it. They may want in.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 01:25:35 pm »
My only complaint is the fact that you can't see when your out of bromine other than when your levels start to drop in water testing. I was on the phone with them yesterday and they are going to at least start putting replacement cycle on the bottle so that you will know when to change it.

Chances are if you go through your bromine in 3 weeks to start you will stay in the 3 to 4 week cycle and need to have a new cartridge on hand...

First off, I love the in-line Frog system. It, along with Ozone has made me a true believer in using Bromine.

Not being able to see your level is definitely a negative as is the cost of the bromine cartridge...  but my biggest complaint is the disposal of a bromine cartridge every 3-4 weeks. I've contacted them about the possiblity of implementing a cartridge recycle system or some kind of way to refill the spent cartridges to which they replied that there are no plans for such options and that there are "no adverse ramifications to disposing of an empty cartridge" (they forgot to include 'IMHO')
e

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 01:48:49 pm »
At the Atlantic City Pool/Spa show, there were a few other manufacturers which are currently comtemplating adding the Frog to their program. ;D
I don't recall which manufacturers specifically, but the word is out there that the Frog is doing a fine job for the dealers that sell it. They may want in.

Thats what I thought that many are considering it....but as of yet none other than Marquis has it on all of their spas...

hottubber

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 02:40:07 pm »
And it is a beauty!!! Isn't it ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 02:40:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42