What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Odors?  (Read 7937 times)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
Re: Odors?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 07:26:33 pm »
Yes they do.  I use baking soda.  Just an oz at a time until I get the TA within range.  It has worked for me.
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 07:26:33 pm »

nicker

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 07:30:02 pm »
I have had the smell recently too, smells like sour milk.

Anyway its because your chemicals are out, as you have found out.   It will tell you on the product how much to add depending on how low your levels levels are.  Your dealer should have mentioned what you have an what it is fore.  I would add what you need and run the tub for a cycle and then re-test about an hour or so after that.   When I first got my tub I spent hours finding out about water chemistry (I am still learning lots).  I started testing my water every day until I felt more comfortable, now I check every other day.  Get in a routine with your tub..it makes it easy. I have everything on a calendar.  Filter changes, water change etc.

As for fill/drain.  Depends on use really.  I have heard some actually only change once a year unless they really have to.  I am leaning towards 4 times, maybe three.   I live in a cold climate so I want to avoid a winter change if possible.  I think if you have to start adding LOTS of chemicals to keep things in check its time for a water change.

I would stop into your dealer and see if somthing that knows a little more can show you what you should be doing with the chemicals.  My dealer outlined everything. And it wouldn't hurt to bring in a water sample for more in depth testing every so often.

Good luck.  It does get easier

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 09:30:44 pm »
I added baking soda and now have the TA around 100.  It also seemed to raise the ph.  Is that possible or did I misread the ph level the first time.  Either way, it looks like I am on the right path.  Thanks again.

salesdvl

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 10:54:59 pm »
.... and limit my Guinness intake to single digits. ;)

OK there's no reason to start talking crazy now....   8)
Measure once, cut twice.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 07:10:09 am »
Yes, it should raise the ph as well.  Just remember, small increments.  Patience is a virtue in water care!!!  ;)

Not that I have a whole lot of patience, but the moderator around here convinced me that slow is the way to go when adding chemicals!

Post again if you have any other problems!  Even if we get to razzing each other, we are all here to help!   ;D  I was a newbie last year, and I survived!  You will, too!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

ISHAYKU

• Go UConn!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 01:22:43 pm »
You are right, that is crazy talk.  Thanks for talking some sense into me! ;)

OK there's no reason to start talking crazy now....   8)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 01:49:32 pm »
 Is that possible or did I misread the ph level the first time.

It is possible, but how did you take your PH reading? I can take the two strips from the same container and use them in the same water and get two different readings. I just can't get consistent PH measurements with strips.  I can however, get a fairly good TA reading with strips.

Lori mentioned going slow. The primary reason for that is PH.   If you add baking soda to the water and she suggests, and I do, within minutes you can read the proper alkalinity, but it can take 12-18 hours for the PH to stabilize when you make changes.

Another common newbie mistake is to try to get all the readings to a specific number. Remember all of these values have acceptable ranges.  If raising your TA just above the desired point gets you above the minimal acceptable PH level, then rejoice, don't sweat hitting exact numbers.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 01:50:45 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 11:16:12 am »
I've not run across a water problem so far that cannot be solved with a healthy dose of sanitizer.  I've seen it pretty funky.

It may even take a few days to clean it up, but keep the sanitizer level up and it should clear up.

Of course, do this within reason.  If it makes you gag when you open up the cover... by all means... change the water.

But  cleaning my filters, dosing with chlorine and running the filter cycle a little longer than normal works if you don't have the time or inclination to change the water at that particular time.

Tim

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 11:19:13 am »
Oh Ya....  make sure all your "other" chemical readings a OK (Balanced).

One other thought...  I have seen some people mention that their spa cover gets a nasty odor too.

Make sure it's not water-logged.  Dry it out and wash the exterior of the cover with a water /bleach solution to make sure no fungus or mildew is starting to take over.

Tim

txwillie

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 05:14:23 pm »
I've noticed a sort of "plastic" smell when I lift the cover. What is that? I use bromine/spa frog and have an ozonator. My sanitizer, PH and TA are all in the appropriate ranges.

txwillie

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 06:53:58 pm »
me too!  I don't know what it is - but we use the same stuff as you - bromine, frog, ozone...

Jodi
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 06:53:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42