What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: suggestions for deck..  (Read 2526 times)

boxer95

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
suggestions for deck..
« on: January 11, 2005, 08:20:01 pm »
Hello all, we have decided on the caldera hot tub, I can't wait to get it....

we have a screened in porch type of a deck. we just had it re inforced to accomodate our tub.

Right now it has indoor outdoor carpet on it and we need to know if we should remove it underneath the hot tub. it has wood underneath it and I am afraid of dryrot happening.

what type of surface can we put underneath our hot tub? my husband was saying we need to put some drainage holes in and he wants to drill some holes but I am not sure if we need some sort of proffessional drainage installed or can we just drill a few holes. our deck is up pretty high, on the 2nd floor so I am not sure how we go about doing our drains. also how many would you say we need.

its a beautiful spot for a hot tub, its right off our master bedroom and we have a gorgeous private view of the tree's and a hillside. I can't wait!!

thanks for any tips you might have for us:)

Lisa

Hot Tub Forum

suggestions for deck..
« on: January 11, 2005, 08:20:01 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: suggestions for deck..
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 08:35:42 pm »
I would remove the carpet. What type of wood is the decking made of? If it's outdoor rated  plywood (I don't know if they make pressure treated plywood) or pressure treated wood it should be OK. If it was built as a regular deck first, it should have regular decking boards with spaces (1/8" to 1/4") between them; this would be fine to let the water out.

But if it's regular wood - you probably should do something. Cutting drain holes may work, maybe slits. Talk to the dealer, Also how is the tub going to get into the screen house - if your going to use any professional to dismantle it maybe they can come up with an idea.

Good Luck!

mhraracing

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 09:10:14 pm »
Not that I am a structual engineer - but putting a 6000 pound spa on a second story sreened in deck seems like a project.
You stated that you had it reinforced....did you ask the people who reinforced the deck the same questions ??

As for the carpet - I would remove it also....and as Vinny stated the 1/8 spaces between the boards should be plenty for drainage.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

UnderTheStars

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 12:17:18 pm »
Ditto what mhraracing said.  115 pounds per square foot doesn't sound like much but added over 81 sq' of tub (a 9' x 9') . . .that's more than my Toyota weighs.  Imagine parking your car up there and it falls through your second story deck!   Oooh Baby!

Ditto what else he said:  Talk to the guys that reinforced the deck (you did have this professionally done, right?  if not, re-read the first paragraph.)  Too many variables with your set-up. . .The orig. joist framing could be treated or not, the second round of re-inforcement could be treated or not, the floor under the carpet could be either.  (Yep, you can purchase treated plywood.)  Anyway, just echoing the thought, get someone versed in construction involved and make sure they know the dead load you are planning.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Stars

boxer95

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 08:01:07 am »
Just to let you all know, I had my deck preffessioanly re inforced by a deck company and I paid a lot of money to have  work done. they assure me it will hold the tub so I am goign to trust them. Iam still a bit nervous, but this is the PERFECT spot for a hot tub, enlosed, private and right off the master bedroom, I can step out of bed and into my tub....... with views to go with it.... anyhow thanks for the info!;0;0

UnderTheStars

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 08:49:54 am »
Hey, that's great!  Call your deck company and ask them to fill you in on what kind of wood (treated/non-treated) the existing and new work is.  If it's all treated, I'd be pretty tempted to drill some weep holes & just let any splash-overs drip down to the ground.  If you go that rout, use a level "pre-tub" to find low spots or which way the deck floor slopes.  Any water that spill out will run down hill. . .that's where you want the weep holes.  -  Just my random thoughts  :)

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:31:18 am »
Congratulations on your spa selection. I think you made a good decision. There are quite a few good spas out there. As far as your deck, I also believe that the carpet must go. It will get musty and mildewed  over time. Make sure that your deck can handle the load, with a full bather load in the spa you could be in excess of 5000 lbs or about 120 lbs. per square foot.
Good luck with your spa and welcome to the "hot tub club". ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:31:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42