What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pre-Installation Checklist  (Read 2279 times)

Revlis

Pre-Installation Checklist
« on: January 11, 2005, 03:23:59 pm »
Hey everyone,

I know the hottub manufacturer, in this case Sundance, has a pre-installation checklist....    But has anyone put together one of their own?  

I'm looking for the "gotchas" people have had.  Somewhere I read it's good to put some sort of pipeline in the cement pad to run the electric through.  

Any other cool ideas or suggestions people have?

I'll be putting my tub on a pad raised about 18 inches above ground level, and building a deck up to the top of the pad.   I'll be putting up some sort of lathe on two sides of the tub, and the electrical subpanel will be about 10 feet away, near the sliding glass door entrance to the house.

I'm just not sure what things I should be considering in the plan... which I am able to make from scratch.

Any help? Anyone? Buehler?  hehe.

Hot Tub Forum

Pre-Installation Checklist
« on: January 11, 2005, 03:23:59 pm »

csutton

Re: Pre-Installation Checklist
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 04:18:16 pm »
Revlis,
My new tub is coming in around the begining of Febuary and I am starting to get things set up for it also.  
My base pad is also going to be about 18" from ground level.  
Are you doing a cement pad 18" high from the ground?  If so, that is a ton of cement!  I was told by a contractor that my dealer recomended to build a platform out of wood since it was coming up that high.  My problem is that if I build it out of wood, I need to be certain that it is going to hold the weight!
Anyone have any thoughts?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 04:25:16 pm »
Does your city or county have a building inspection department?  If so, they may be able to assist you with specifications for a platform built to support the weight of your spa.
Brewman
Brewman

nicker

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 04:42:18 pm »
Yes 18" of concrete is allot.   I put my tub on a deck, my deck is about 22 " off the ground.  I did this for a few reasons.  I like the look of a deck and we have an existing deck that is about 45" off the ground.  So this way our tub sites about 18" above our existing deck. This makes for a nice safe enterence into the tub.  You can also get in from the lower deck.  Another reason is my ground was slopeing away from my house and I wanted to keep it that way.  So the deck was the easiest way.  (if you want pictures PM me and I can email them too you).

I had concerns about the stucture strength aswell.  I mean you are holding up allot of weight.    My tub deck is 8' x 12'  just big enough for the tub and some steps in front.   This is what I did.  I put 12  8" cement pillars with rebar in them under the deck.  They go 3 across the 8' span and 4 across the 12'.  They also go about 4' in the ground (as I am in a cold climat with frost). They stick above the ground about 2".  On top of that I used galvanized brakets .  With in the brackets sits 2 2x10 nailed together, so I have 3 beams (each beam consisting of the 2 2x10). Then on top of that I have my 2x8 joists on 12" centres with decking boards on top of that.   So far so go, that deck is solid.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 05:05:46 pm »
My dealer gave me a sheet that stated wooden decks should be designed for 150 PSF.

It said to have 6x6 posts supporting 3-2x10 beams every 6 feet with 2x8 joists. I would imagine that you would need 12" or larger footers to support that weight.

What I'm planning to do is go to a lumber yard that uses a C.A.D. program and have them design my whole deck (I will be using them for the decking material also). The one lumber yard I asked said they could load the deck for whatever is needed.

As far as the township - I went to them to get guidance - I thought I was speaking a language from a different planet. I physically went there to explain what I was going to do and asked if they could guide me so that I do everything correctly and get my plans to pass and more importantly build my deck to the Code specifications correctly. But it must have been extremely hard for them to understand me as I didn't get any help. If you do go to your township - I hope you have better luck than I did!

dirtrubber

• red on the head
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 05:12:36 pm »
I would go with the concrete for the tub support , just because the slab is 18 inches along the edges it does not have to be 18 inches thick all the way, you can use some kind of fill , dirt or   stone , 6 inches is more concrete  than most tubs neet to support the weight.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 05:12:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42