What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: best warranty  (Read 11936 times)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: best warranty
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2005, 05:43:25 pm »
OK bad example. I do not profess to be a boat expert. My father has owned several fiberglass boats that have been problem free.....
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2005, 05:43:25 pm »

poolboy34

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2005, 10:53:37 pm »
I think anyone that sells a spa manufactured in California will agree, this issue is a bit of a pest. From what I understand, California law precludes a spa manufacturer from warranting a acrylic/(fiberglass, ABS etc) shell any longer than 7 years. There is no such law in Canada.

Some are impressed with the fact that a Canadian manufacturer offers Lifetime. Its just not something that they will ever have to honour.

Unfortunately some customers see the Californian made product in a lesser light because the same warranty is not offerred.

Chas, Poolboy, Chris....your thoughts?

well since you asked..........

Personally when it comes to warranties, we don;t have a lot of issues with them.  Most of the dealers in our area carry tubs that all have similar warranties. It really only comes into play when you compare a "mid-line" or "entry Level" line of spas.   I know D-1's "limited Lifetime" warranty on their ultra life shell gets a lot of flack from people on these boards.  Truth of the matter is that in all of the years that the dealer I work for has been selling D-1 spas (18+) they've had ONE shell have a problem.  And yes, it occured after 7 years.  Basically, the customer paid the freight on the spa to have it shipped to D-1's repair place in Ohio.  The tub was fixed, and not just the shell, everything else that needed to be fixed was fixed (plumbing, pumps, jets, etc... the spa was sent back to the customer and delievered at no extra charge.

Many will also argue that "because it's made in california it's not engineered for cold weather climates" as well............I think we can all agree that this is a bunch of bunk as well.  

Bottom line is that if a company is reputable, and truly believes in its' product and the quality of their product they will go above and beyond to make things right.  

I would say it's a pretty safe bet that stuart, chas, HTM, mendo, wetone (to name a few) go above and beyond for their customers everyday.  Let's face facts, you don't become an industry wide respected manufacturer or top dealer in your area if you don't stand behind what you create/ sell and if you don't take care of your customers.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2005, 07:14:22 am »
Very well said, poolboy!!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wetone

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2005, 08:06:40 am »
Your 100% on the mark PoolBoy.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2005, 09:39:55 am »

Basically, the customer paid the freight on the spa to have it shipped to D-1's repair place in Ohio.  .

For future reference where is that?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2005, 11:40:56 am »
I know D-1's "limited Lifetime" warranty on their ultra life shell gets a lot of flack from people on these boards.
As one of the folks who has taken issue with D1's 'limited liftime' warranty, I want to clarify.

I don't think that this is a bad warranty at all. In fact, I think it offers an extra bit of coverage that other don't. Instead of ending all warranty coverage at 7 years, you can do what the customer did in the post above: send the spa back to the maker and have it taken care of.  D1 has it's main plant in California, and I wasn't aware they also had a facility in Ohio, but that would save a bunch on shipping! That may be more costly than having the repair done in your backyard, or it may be less expensive, but either way you would generally get more: as PoolBoy34 said, when the tub went to the D1 facility it came back completely overhauled. I have seen that with HotSpring as well, the tubs look like new inside and out.

I don't bash the warranty, here or in my showrooms, but I do admit that I have a bit of a problem with the wording. When a customer comes in and says, "D1 has a lifetime warranty on the shell and you only have 7 years, " I am put into the uncomfortable position of having to point out the limitations of the 'lifetime' warranty.  Somebody - and it may only be my local dealer - is pointing to the word 'lifetime' and leaving out any explanation about the 'limited' part.

One more time: I think D1 offers a fine warranty. I just wish there was a way they could call it something which doesn't leave the customer thinking it is going to have equal or constant coverage as long as you own the tub.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2005, 11:43:45 am »
Something like "7years full coverage, limited lifetime"?
Homeworks Financing Representative

poolboy34

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2005, 12:20:47 pm »
they do call it a "Limited Lifetime warranty."  And I noticed that now during their training seminars they say "Limited Lifetime Warranty" where as 3 years ago when i first attended the sales training class they just said it was a "Lifetime Warranty."  We always state that it's a Limited Lifetime warranty when explaining it to customers.  

And Bill I'm sorry but I don't know where exactly the plant is in Ohio off the top of my head, But I'll check through my notes tomorrow when I'm back in the store.

poolboy34

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2005, 12:24:21 pm »
Also like to add, that when someone comes in and has had talked with a thermospas rep.............that's LOTS of fun!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2005, 12:24:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42