What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cost to run hot tub  (Read 9273 times)

pjjp21

• We Love our Emerald!!
cost to run hot tub
« on: December 23, 2004, 08:41:24 pm »
i know this question is dependant on numerous issues, but on average, how much is your tub costing you a month in electricity, and what is the tub's manufacturer?

thanks

john

Hot Tub Forum

cost to run hot tub
« on: December 23, 2004, 08:41:24 pm »

pjjp21

• We Love our Emerald!!
Re: cost to run hot tub
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 10:13:56 pm »
come on people, somebody must have an idea of cost, i am in the northeast, nyc, to be exact.  don't be afraid, i won't bite

john

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 10:27:32 pm »
Bank on a buck a day averaged throughout the year.

Is that the sort of exciting answer you were looking for? ??? ;D

Way too many factors can vary this.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 10:29:21 pm by Steve »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 10:56:09 pm »
There is to many variables to get you an answer.....this time of year new spa owners might even have the wrong idea about what it will average for the year...as we are in the colder part of the year for the next few months....I think most well made spas with sanitation will average about 45.00 per month....but that is a very general estimate...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 10:56:36 pm by Mendocino101 »

mhraracing

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 11:15:47 pm »
I'm no expert as I have only had my spa for 2 days now - so I can give you my cost a month from now....but if I were to guess - if you stick to the main manufactures - I bet they all cost relatively the same.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 11:17:52 pm »
We have a utility meter that we have run tests on spas. It is just like your meter on your house but portable. We hook it up between the house and the spa to isolate the spa use. On average when we test a Marquis it runs $20 or less a month with variable usage. We have tested other brands that ran as much as $70 per month!

D1 was similar but slightly higher as we tested more of the larger models like the Sarena Bay and Lotus bay.

Our energy cost is about 7 cents per Kilowatt hour.

Hope that helps.....

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 09:53:01 am »
We also pay about $.07 per kwh for power.  I figure that on average, our spa costs maybe $30 to $40 per month to run the heater and pumps, etc...
I think spa power costs are affected more by your electric rates, and your spa usage habbits than by anything else.  
Our spa is a Sundance Optima.  It is on the larger side of the size range, with a 485 gallon capacity.  
We use the spa several times per week, for maybe an hour at a time, with both pumps running for most of that hour.
Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 10:09:32 am »
I have a Vista (500 gallon tub from HotSpring) and it runs about half a buck a day. If we use it a lot more than usual it will climb to about a buck a day.

We pay an average of 25 cents per KWH.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

shoemaker

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 10:29:24 am »
I have a Hot Spring Envoy - 500 Gallon. I've only seen one electric bill that had a full month on it and it went up about $32.

I live in Massachusetts so probably a bit higher than in NYC because of the colder temps? Not sure.

We use the tub almost every day.

Hope that helps.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 10:40:26 am »
Electricity........................+-$40/month
Chemicals, filters, etc........+-$10/month
Enjoyment.......................priceless
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tvaughan

• Hot Springs Grandee Owner
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2004, 08:11:29 am »
I haven't really thought about how much it cost per month.  It doesn't really matter.  I'm going to use it anyway.  I figure it will change from month to month depending on outside temp,winds,my usage,utility cost changes etc; I don't see it as anything to be concerned about.  It is what it is.

I did notice this morning that the temp dropped from 104F to 101F during a 15-20 min session.  There was no wind outside temp was 8F.  I wasn't expecting that.  Last week during a session the temp was -5F.  I had the tub set a 102F and there was no drop in temp during the session.    ???  Now how does that happen?

tansu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2004, 12:54:31 pm »
Electricity........................+-$40/month
Chemicals, filters, etc........+-$10/month
Enjoyment.......................priceless
 8)

Plus utility bills for washer and dryer - extra towels

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 05:04:19 pm »
Plus utility bills for washer and dryer - extra towels

Acrylic Martini Glasses...
¿

Dave_L

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 05:50:23 pm »
We have had some very cold weather over the past couple of weeks. So, out of interest I checked the electrical consumption on a couple of days where we had lows of -30 C (-22F) with wind chills of -46 C (-45F) and compared past average daily consumptions for same time of year (Our electrical utility provides this data on the bill). I figured on average the tub was consuming from 15- 20 kW hrs per day. Since we pay approx. 10 cents per kW hr, the tub consumed approx $1.50 to $2.00 per day in the coldest of weather conditions. I was quite impressed. We have a Jacuzzi 375, a model that holds approx 370 gallons and it is located outside.

I estimate our tub will average $30-40/ month electrical throughout the year. This will be with greater usage than some of the manufacturers use for calculating electrical costs.

In terms of comparisons, electrical cost are quite low. Our entertainment costs have gone up more than this since we bought the tub.
Heck, I'm paying about $50/month for High Speed Internet.

Dave

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 06:22:44 pm »
We have had some very cold weather over the past couple of weeks. So, out of interest I checked the electrical consumption on a couple of days where we had lows of -30 C (-22F) with wind chills of -46 C (-45F) and compared past average daily consumptions for same time of year (Our electrical utility provides this data on the bill). I figured on average the tub was consuming from 15- 20 kW hrs per day. Since we pay approx. 10 cents per kW hr, the tub consumed approx $1.50 to $2.00 per day in the coldest of weather conditions. I was quite impressed. We have a Jacuzzi 375, a model that holds approx 370 gallons and it is located outside.

I estimate our tub will average $30-40/ month electrical throughout the year. This will be with greater usage than some of the manufacturers use for calculating electrical costs.

In terms of comparisons, electrical cost are quite low. Our entertainment costs have gone up more than this since we bought the tub.
Heck, I'm paying about $50/month for High Speed Internet.

Dave

Dave,
I thought about this for a moment after reading your post and I think that I would worry less about what the cost of the spa is to opperate on a month to month basis and more a reason as to WHY you would ever live in an area that gets that cold and then brag about it! ;) ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 06:22:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42