What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter Cleaner Spray  (Read 4676 times)

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
Filter Cleaner Spray
« on: December 15, 2004, 10:12:49 pm »
Just wanted to clean my filters a little bit.I tried Leisure Time SPRAY spa cartridge cleaner.Put a small spay around the filters and put them back in,thought i sprayed the cleaner OFF well with my hose.But i guess not,it looked like it was snowing in my spa.lots and Lots of foam.....I drained the spa put a new nature2 in and used Leisure Time Metal Gon,And i guess i will wait till tomorrow to use the spa again......I guess a little of the spray cleaner is too much...Jt

Hot Tub Forum

Filter Cleaner Spray
« on: December 15, 2004, 10:12:49 pm »

tansu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Filter Cleaner Spray
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 06:56:13 am »
Anybody use simple green?

UnderTheStars

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 07:39:51 am »
Hey Johnny!  You're not alone in finding out (the hard way) that filter cleaner takes a lot of rinsing to get it all out!

FWIW, since the weather turned cold I've been rinsing in a basement mop sink.  I use a washing machine hose with a garden spray nozzle on the end.  Rinsing in the slop sink you can really see that the water in the sink is still a bit sudsy.  I keep rinsing for quite a while after the water runs clear.   I think those paper pleats really "hold" the cleaner.

Also, the "dial type" hose end sprayers are great set to "fan" or "flat" spray - really gets into the pleats of the filter.  (you have to buy a threaded adapter to use a sprayer on the washer hose 'cause both ends of the hose and the sprayer are female thread.  It's about a $2 adapter - plumbing dept. of any hardware store.)

Simple green!  Wow, I used to use that on an old motorcycle engine.  It really cut through the Harley oil & road grime.  Haven't thought about it for a long time.  Can't wait to hear what the spa experts have to say about it.   Good question Tansu!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 07:41:15 am by UnderTheStars »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 07:48:53 am »
Johnny,

I've used that same filter cleaner and I usually rinse the filters out 3 times before I put them back in.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 08:21:53 am »
Johnny,

I agree with UnderTheStars. I do the same thing, But in addition I put them on the top rack in my dishwasher with no soap just fresh waster. I run it 2 cycles and move the filters around a few times to be sure to get all sides. I know it is an extra step and more water. How ever it's not 400 gallons on re-doing your water change and a heck of a lot less time.  Also you can look at the bottom of your dishwasher as a test for sud's. You will know when the filter cleaner is gone.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 10:16:49 am »
We use the Leisure Time spray as well and have noticed the foam it the filter is not rinsed enough.  Is there another filter spray cleaner out there that rinses easier?  Or, are the all basically the same?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 10:24:19 am »
We use the Leisure Time spray as well and have noticed the foam it the filter is not rinsed enough.  Is there another filter spray cleaner out there that rinses easier?  Or, are the all basically the same?

I think they are all teh same. I did try with some sucess just soak them overnight in a solution of water and clorox and then rinsing them out.  The only reason I got away from that was buying some filter cleaner on another order to get up to the free shipping level.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 04:35:04 pm »
I've never used the spray, but for winter, here is what I do because I do not want to have to rinse filters in freezing temps.  On or near December 1 when I change my water, I soak clean the two filters that I rotate so all my filters are clean.  I keep my first filter in for two months with a quick rinse in the sink at the one month mark or if needed.  I swap out on or about February 1.  Come late March - early April, I get back to my regular routine on cleaning and swapping on a monthly basis.  Winter tends to be the cleanest time of year for my spa...no pollen, pine needles, leaves, etc...so it works for me....and no leftover cleaner in the filter because I couldn't do a good job of rinsing.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 04:46:50 pm by tony »

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 04:43:08 pm »
You might try this stuff, I get it at Lowes.  I've had good success with it and ZERO foam with just "normal" hose rinsing.

Drewski

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 04:43:48 pm »

I always go out of my way to explain that the filters need to be rinsed to the point of boredom (and then rinsed a bit more). I know it sometimes goes in one ear and out the other but those people will probably have their memory jogged when they see foam and think "$%#&, the spa guy warned me about this!".

The soak type cleaner works very well as long as you have a spare set of filters so you can swap in clean ones and soak the dirty ones for 24 hrs. Even that method needs a VERY thorough rinsing.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

UnderTheStars

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 08:07:16 pm »
So back to Tansu's question, what about simple green?

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 08:39:32 pm »
The Leisure Time Filter spray is a tempory cleaning or surposed to be.I am glad i have had my second set of filters and found out the hard way lol....Jt

xrdirthead

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 11:44:01 pm »
I can't see Drewski's pic....:(

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 12:53:33 am »
Hey All:

ImageShack, the picture hosting site, has been up/down and buggy the last few days. That's why pictures are having problems...

Sorry!

Drewski
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 09:29:52 am »
Drewmeister,
On your advice, I purchased the Lowe's brand and have used it very successfully without any foaming issues.  Of course, I have been thoroughly rinsing the filters twice and allowing them to dry between uses.....they look like new.
Happy Spalidays to ya....... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 09:29:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42