What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tubs Indoors  (Read 4430 times)

Newbie_in_VA

Hot Tubs Indoors
« on: December 15, 2004, 06:23:43 pm »
We are looking at adding a hot tub next month.  We are planning on placing it initially inside our finished garage.  Should I be concerned about moisture, mildew, mold, etc. with the drywall in the garage?

We are eventually planning on moving it outdoors, but I expect it will be indoors for at least a year.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tubs Indoors
« on: December 15, 2004, 06:23:43 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Tubs Indoors
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 06:47:02 pm »
If it was a permanent application, you should install a fan but given the short term that you are suggesting, a window should allow proper ventilation during spa use. If you don't have a window, having your overhead door open slightly during use or open completely after use for a few minutes should prevent any of the concerns you mentioned.

Have you considered a temperary foundation outdoors for the spa?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 06:48:01 pm by Steve »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 07:29:21 pm »
I agree with Steve, not a big concern here but for those that are doing a permanent install indoors there are some things to be concerned about. There is an ailment called Hot Tub Lung that is prevalent on indoor spas without proper ventilation, it is a respiratory condition where you get Flu like symptoms and is much more common on the older systems with improper circulation and sanitation.

As we become more concerned with energy efficiency and making our houses more airtight we lessen the air movement from room to room. You should always have a vent of even a ceiling fan in a room with a Hot tub.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 11:18:23 am »
Hi Newbie:

I would SERIOUSLY caution against installing a hot tub in a garage. A number of reasons support this.

First, as the other posters mentioned, health concerns could be a problem. Anytime you are operating a moisture producing device in a closed environment, even if ventilated, it creates residual condensation. Ultimately, this will lead to the growth of bacteria and mold, not something you want.

Second, think about what that moisture will do to your garage interior. How would you use the tub during the winter? Let's say you opened the garage door for ventilation and ran the tub. Everything made of metal in the garage now gets cold, cold to the point of the outside temperature. You close the door when you get out, dry off and cover the tub. Residual moisture is still in the air. It will condense on every cold piece of metal in the garage, such as tools, lawn mowers, circuit box, etc., when air circulation stops. Suddenly everything is wet and starts to rust, OOPS, how did that happen?

Third, garage interior construction is NOT made for moisture laden air. Think about how steamy your shower is during a hot shower and how much moisture goes into the air. Multiply that by 10 (at least) and you’re in the range of a hot tub. INTERIOR paint in bathrooms is usually semi-gloss latex made to resist moisture. Garage paint, if present, is FLAT. Moisture will go right through it and begin to affect the plasterboard beneath. Worse yet, if the garage is unfinished, it will begin to get into your attic or roof insulation, AGAIN, mold, bacteria, etc.

MAYBE if you lived in a warm temperature a garage install might work (i.e., NO temperature drops), BUT, even then, the moisture condensation issue would still be a BIG problem due to higher humidity. I live in Virginia Beach and know the Virginia weather. Trust me when I say you DON'T want to do this.

I KNOW you want to get in a tub (:D), but I'd really suggest trying something else to experience it.

Good Luck!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 12:28:18 pm »
Drewski,
Your posts go into more detail than most, thank you for always taking the time to go into a lengthy explanation on the subjects you choose to post on, it's helpful to many! :)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 12:35:01 pm »
Thanks Stuart!

I'm thinking (?!) that's a compliment. BTW, I do have a tendency to get wordy at times (can you tell I write proposals and technical process documentation for a living?), so don't be hesitant to tell me I'm TOO wordy. I won't take it bad (I think)...

Merry Christmas brother...

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 12:44:21 pm »
Thanks Stuart!

I'm thinking (?!) that's a compliment. BTW, I do have a tendency to get wordy at times (can you tell I write proposals and technical process documentation for a living?), so don't be hesitant to tell me I'm TOO wordy. I won't take it bad (I think)...

Merry Christmas brother...

Drewski

8)

Beyond a doubt it was meant as a compliment! I have been in this business for a very long time and yet still try to never miss your posts as I always get something from them....mind you, I don't always agree but your pretty right on for the most part. Many of us don't take the time to go into great detail because we have said it so often that we wrongly assume it's second nature for everyone! An example of this is how often I hear a salesman say to customer that are spas are equipped with ozone expecting them to appreciate that yet they have no clue what an ozonator is! The biggest thing that I get from your posts is you explain it well from a user and customer prospective which helps me try and look through their eyes more often!.

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 01:05:53 pm »
I agree with the others that its not a good idea because of the moisture potential. I'm a carpenter and have worked in construction for  many years. I built a 14x26ft sun/spa room addition on my house. It has six 6ftx4ft slide by windows, a 300CFM exhaust vent and a ceiling fan. The interior wall covering is tounge and grove pine that has been sealed on both sides before I put it up. The room also has a propane fire place which is keep at about 55 to 60 degrees. This was all my wifes idea ofcourse, I wanted to pour a slab and put he tub on that. I must say though  Its going to be nice not having to deal with  snow and the elements  this winter.  Oh I have to mention the two large skylights above the tub. Now that I'm done bragging,  I to think maybe you should consider a concrete slab, it would be a lot cheaper than modifying the garage or building an addition PLEASE believe me.. ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 01:08:43 pm by JLB »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 01:19:31 pm »
If you prefer to have it outside here is a great option for you! It's a temporary spa pad that weighs less than 100lbs and you can move at any time.

http://www.ezpads.com/

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 01:38:14 pm »
JLB- I started giggling when I read your post. Don't you just hate when you're wife has a good idea? ( sound of cash register....)
But your room sounds wonderful!
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 01:46:55 pm »
I'd be interested in how much those temp pads cost. At about $100 a yard I would bet concrete would be cheaper, but for people who can't do it themselves there would be installation and then the removel.  I think concrete is the answer to everything, so for what its worth. :-X

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 02:02:35 pm »
They run about $400 dollars but there is no production to put them in you simply place them on a fairly level surface and set the spa on them.

You can put a concrete pad in for not much more if not the same price but then you have to pay a fee for minimum haul on short yardage and it is permanent!

I feel these are expensive but you pay for the convenience.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 02:11:43 pm »
You can put a concrete pad in for not much more if not the same price but then you have to pay a fee for minimum haul on short yardage and it is permanent!

Well, I don't know. I have a large patio in the front of my house. We don't like it, and want to get it removed - bids are coming in at around $300 to break it up and haul it away.

Now one important note: we have a rock quarry nearby which only charges about $10 per load to dump broken concrete. No min or max size load !! They recycle it.

But if not for that low price to dump the stuff, I still don't think it's a big deal to put in a slab, enjoy it and then have it removed.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JLB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 02:20:20 pm »
Hay, you could always place a large tractor tire on it and plant flowers in it. What would your neighbors think then? ;D

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 02:26:23 pm »
Well, I don't know. I have a large patio in the front of my house. We don't like it, and want to get it removed - bids are coming in at around $300 to break it up and haul it away.

Now one important note: we have a rock quarry nearby which only charges about $10 per load to dump broken concrete. No min or max size load !! They recycle it.

But if not for that low price to dump the stuff, I still don't think it's a big deal to put in a slab, enjoy it and then have it removed.

Heck where you live they tear down $300K homes to build 3 million dollar ones on the lot like it's nothing!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 02:26:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42