What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: caldera vs master spa prices  (Read 13957 times)

Top_Cat

Re: caldera vs master spa prices
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 09:45:52 pm »
To pay over $7,000 for the Geneva Utopia is a major shame. It is a good spa, but my Catalina El Cortez has better therapy IMO, and the price with all the usual necessities/goodies plus a vibrating lounger headrest was $6,000 delivered and set up. Caldera is certainly head and shoulders above HotSpring, but sheesh.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 09:45:52 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 12:02:01 am »
To pay over $7,000 for the Geneva Utopia is a major shame. It is a good spa, but my Catalina El Cortez has better therapy IMO, and the price with all the usual necessities/goodies plus a vibrating lounger headrest was $6,000 delivered and set up. Caldera is certainly head and shoulders above HotSpring, but sheesh.

Oh sure, considering that HotSpring engineered your cool vibrating headrest!

I would say that paying $6000 for any Catalina is a major oversight! Compared to HS or Caldera, Catalina is pretty "bush league"!

BTW, I don't sell HS or Caldera nor are they my first choices but they are certainly in the top yet I wouldn't even consider a Catalina.

You sound a lot like a guy we had here named Maverick?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 12:02:50 am by stuart »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 12:12:43 am »
I just had a strange thought, if you go back and read past post's of Maverick and Wisoki they sound strangely similar, then read Top Cat's post they have the same ring. Is it a Catalina thing? Do they have a "bashing section" in their sales training manual? ???

david

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 09:36:21 am »
As a newbie to this board I rely on the knowledge of those that post.  It is unfortunate that some will confuse others (especially a neophyte to hot tubs as I am) with their very biased views which are not based on facts.  Unfortunately I do not know what to believe when those people post to the board.  I am going to go with my hunch and believe that the hot tub I am going to buy(Caldera) is at least a reasonable price and of course of good quality and reliability as I have read here and elsewhere.  Thanks

spaguyohio

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 09:56:22 am »
David - Dont let comments of a few ruin things for you. Buy what YOU think is the best deal for YOUR money.  I was in same boat when looking, and when I found a Master Spa model I liked, didnt care for cabinet color. I simply asked the dealer if he could change the sides, then we would have a deal. He checked, and had extra cabinet panels in stock, and swapped them out prior to delivery.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 11:24:25 am »
David,
Relax and don't listen to Top Cat. His rants have no basis in reality and I'd guess he either sells Catalina or has a major need to justify his purchase by trying to put the competition down. In this case the majority here will tell you his spa is average (not junk, just average) and that kills him. Caldera has a very good reputation so you'll do fine there (I can't comment on $$).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 01:21:34 pm »
It is not that I can not live with their offer.  I wanted to get the best hot tub of the two for the best price.  I am going to buy the Caldera this weekend if nothing changes before then.  I appreciate all the help and kind words.  Seems like some feel that 8699 is a reasonable deal here in the midwest despite others paying in the mid 7000's on the east coast.  I wish I could explain the difference. Maybe because the Cardinals lost to the Red Sox-LOL

david, you need to decide what is a reasonable deal for the tub you purchase. Posting here to get an idea of price is a good thing to do - doing your homework is a must if you want to make an educated spa purchase. Search other forums as well for threads about the tub you are interested.

If you want to truely consider responses be sure to take into consideration who they are coming from (dealer, owner of the same, owner of a different tub...); there is no way to be sure but if you aren't familiar with the poster you can get an idea from reading past posts... there are some that will tell you it's a great price no matter how inflated it is as there are those that will tell you that you should pay many thousands less.

I am not familiar with Caldera pricing but from what I've gathered it is a quality, reputable brand and is a good choice. The other question you need to ask yourself is... "is the dealer a good choice?". If you are not comfortable with and/or don't trust the dealer then you may want to consider a different tub.

Best of Luck!
e

david

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 09:29:48 pm »
Just bought the Calgera Geneva.  The wait is 2-3 weeks.  Just enough time to get the electricity in.  Just felt the Caldera was better for us.  Thanks for the posts.  Will update on the spa after we try it several times.  Now I have to learn the maintanence shedule.  Should be easy once I am well trained.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2004, 10:12:12 pm »
David,

You made a good choice.

good luck and happy soaking.

I don't sell Caldera either but my experience tells me taht they are one of the better tubs out there.

poolboy34

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2004, 12:03:57 am »
Congratulations and welcome to spatopia.  You made excelent choice, and may you have many years of warm soaking!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2004, 10:00:32 am »
Congrats, david!  May the goddess of Spatopia bless you with crystal water!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

david

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 10:11:47 pm »
Caldera Geneva arrived and finially have electric hooked up.  Filled with water and metalgon.  Started to test for Alkalinity, pH, etc.  Feel like an idiot learning how to do this with test strips.  Suggestions appreciated on how to test-tub or bowls, and in what order.  Seems hard to add just the right amout of spa up or down then adjust the ph let alone but another bottle for calcium.  
Thanks!

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2004, 09:22:57 am »
"...included GFI.....$150....". The Caldera has that included, it comes with it, not a local add on. So that is not a valid reason why his price his higher.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 10:01:07 am »
Caldera Geneva arrived and finially have electric hooked up.  Filled with water and metalgon.  Started to test for Alkalinity, pH, etc.  Feel like an idiot learning how to do this with test strips.  Suggestions appreciated on how to test-tub or bowls, and in what order.  Seems hard to add just the right amout of spa up or down then adjust the ph let alone but another bottle for calcium.  
Thanks!

David -

First of all, welcome to spatopia. You will enjoy your tub - may you 'soak long and prosper.'

Next: don't fret too much over the chems. Most of our new owners spend too much time chasing the pH up and down and so forth. Go with the basics:

test for pH and TA. If they are a bit high, add some 'spa down,' or 'ph minus' or whatever you got with your kit.  Add about two ounces at a time, retest no sooner than four hours. After that, don't retest for a couple of days. That generally takes the chasing and bouncing out of it.

Keep sanitizer in the water. If you are using Dichlor, add a TABLESP00N after each spa use. This one you should test every few days - if the chlorine level keeps climbing, switch to TEASP00NS.

That's it for starters - just doing these simple things will get you safe water for the first few weeks.  Then, apply "Chas' Law." That is: change the water about the fourth week. You will not have to do this more than just this one first time - after this most folks go three or four months on a water change.

Turn off the power before you drain your spa, and remember two things: water is the cheapest chemical you can add to your tub, and:
Tubs are fun !!! ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 10:01:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42