What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shock:  MPS or Dichlor?  (Read 13802 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Shock:  MPS or Dichlor?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 04:11:59 pm »
The "trick" Jason described is what we call "slugging"....Dude.

Dude,
We save our "slugging" for those killer pitchers of Sam Adams......URP!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 04:11:59 pm »

salesdvl

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2004, 04:22:51 pm »
Sam Adams...... it's not just for breakfast anymore.     :o
Measure once, cut twice.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2004, 07:29:15 am »
With the HS Everfresh system (Ozone and Silver Ion), I use 2 Tblsp of MPS before every use and DiChlor as a shock every week.  So far no problems.  

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2004, 09:32:32 am »
I sanitize with Bromine (Spa Frog) and use MPS to shock. MPS directions say to use 2 oz for my gallonage. 24 hrs later my test strips indicate bromine levels well over 10 PPM. Is this normal?  Does the MPS cause bad bromine readings on the test strips? Shocked yesterday and used only 1.5 oz MPS and still the bromine reads way high 18 hrs later. Also, seems like MPS lowers the PH and TA. Any others notice this?
 ???
txwillie

I have this exact same problem.  Did you find a solution?  I'm dealing with cloudy water right now.  The shocking didn't help.  I'm off to the store for some clarifier.  I'm hoping to bring back my crystal clear water.  We didn't use the spa for two days and I opened it up to cloud city.  All my other levels seem to be fine with the exception of my alk that is running a bit low.  UGH!

Elle

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2004, 05:37:00 pm »

I have this exact same problem.  Did you find a solution?  I'm dealing with cloudy water right now.  The shocking didn't help.  I'm off to the store for some clarifier.  I'm hoping to bring back my crystal clear water.  We didn't use the spa for two days and I opened it up to cloud city.  All my other levels seem to be fine with the exception of my alk that is running a bit low.  UGH!

Elle

What do you have your Frog Bromine cartridge set to? When did you change it last?

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2004, 05:43:54 pm »
What do you have your Frog Bromine cartridge set to? When did you change it last?

Good question, and one I was going to ask...although in a different way.  How do you know when to change the cartridge?  I have always kept mine open to 2.  I thought it was time to change but I can still hear a bunch of bromine in it when I shake it.  I have it wide open right now.  When should I just throw it out?   Will it be completely empty?

Elle

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2004, 05:58:16 pm »

Good question, and one I was going to ask...although in a different way.  How do you know when to change the cartridge?  I have always kept mine open to 2.  I thought it was time to change but I can still hear a bunch of bromine in it when I shake it.  I have it wide open right now.  When should I just throw it out?   Will it be completely empty?

Elle

If you have it wide open and are still low on Bromine that's part of your problem. Yes it's out and needs replaced. It does take a while to get used to your system but once you do, you will see the bromine level beginning to drop and know that you need to replace it. You should be able to leave it on 2-3 all of the time and be fine. Don't look for perfect color on your test strips as far as bromine level. Your test strips are generic and don't take the ozone and minerals in to account. At 2 on that cartridge you should last about a month 3 will drop it by about a week. When you get a new one, get some granular bromine and hit the spa with a good shot. I would also drain the water if this is the first fill and it will get easier from here out.

The thumping you hear in your cartridge is probably just the leftover filler.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2004, 05:58:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42