What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Who watches TV in their tub?  (Read 4691 times)

Dudley_Dawson

Who watches TV in their tub?
« on: November 03, 2004, 02:56:37 pm »
Does anyone have a tv mounted out by their tub or even a pop-up tv on their tub?

Do you watch it often?  Everytime you get in?  

Just curious...  I may think about putting one outdoors.

Hot Tub Forum

Who watches TV in their tub?
« on: November 03, 2004, 02:56:37 pm »

salesdvl

Re: Who watches TV in their tub?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 04:30:06 pm »
As a dealer and spa owner I would consider myself to be in the anti TV group.  I enjoy going out and soaking without the ability to pay attention or focus on any artificial stimuli.  I took a radio out to listen to a ballgame once and ended up turning it off because I prefer to "mind-wander".  There are too many things in life today that "need our attention".  I like being able to escape.  Having kids it would also be too much temptation for them to jump in and then suddenly I'm forced to endure a Barney marathon.    :)
Measure once, cut twice.

Top_Cat

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 05:13:56 pm »
Without NHL hockey this season, I don't watch TV at all.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 05:26:12 pm »
I watch TV before I go in the spa and after (though I often fall asleep on the while watching TV after a spa). When I'm in the spa I tend to not care to watch TV. Now if something is on TV that I really want to watch I delay going in the spa. Now if I could get a microwave oven in my spa I'd be interested.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 05:37:46 pm »
I'm working on something to vent the heat generated  from the pump through a hot air pop corn popper...........
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 05:44:21 pm »
My wife and I do this sometimes.  We aren't big TV watchers, but sometimes a show we ant to catch is on in the evenings when we want to soak.

I run 40 foot of coax to about 3 feet from the tub, put a small 15" flatscreen on a table, and an extension cord.  We drop it on a side of the tub we don't exit from to keep water away.

Why do this?  Sometimes we veg with the jets on for hours.  Sometimes, we sit there with no jets on.  Sometimes we do both:

Jet for a while, then, instead of running inside to catch something on TV, just turn the jets off and relax in the hot water and enjoy the show.

Perhaps it is the novelty of it all, but sitting in hot water watching the TV is more enjoyable to us than sitting inside, still wet from the soak, watching it on the couch.

Although, the jets need to be off in order to hear the lousy speakers on the TV.

8)
-Ed

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 06:19:06 pm »
I'm working on something to vent the heat generated  from the pump through a hot air pop corn popper...........

Hmmm, I DO eat popcorn in my spa. I know, it's weird, right? But that tuperware bowl just floats SOOO easily on the water and even the jets don't turn it over. It's also strange but it seems that the alcoholic beverage of choice usually disappears quicker this way as well.   I guess it's another one of those "unsolved mysteries"!
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 06:29:48 pm »
Sony has just release a location free TV.  That is  a wireless TV and internet touchscreen LCD TV which uses a rechargable battery.  Very portable.

It uses a base station which sends the wireless signal from Cable, Satelite, etc anywhere in your house and yard.

This is just the beginning of new wireless computer integrated technologies which are about to be released.

So I would wait before putting your money down as prices will fall.

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 06:44:47 pm »
My spa doesn't even have any water in it at the moment, much less a TV.... :'(

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 08:10:29 pm »
My spa doesn't even have any water in it at the moment, much less a TV....

Great! Set a TV in a corner seat, I'll send you a video of jets underwater in a spa and you can reminisce....

sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself, :'(
it's like your an open wound and I'm 10 lbs of salt.

Seriously though, setting in the spa is the only place that my wife and I can enjoy each others company without distractions. No phone, no computer, and NO TV. Just us enjoying the hot water, conversation and massage. The times that I get in alone I feel are more therapeutic mentally than anything I do for myself. I can set under the stars and shut the world off. I don't want a TV in or around my spa. To me that's like putting a soft serve ice cream machine in my weight room, kinda counter productive to what I'm trying to do.

Likewise, I don’t want to be getting a massage and having a conversation while I’m trying to get into a good show on TV!

steve771

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 08:17:06 pm »
I thought it might be kinda cool, but as I start to use my tub, I find I can't stay in it for too long (1/2 hour), so it would have to be a short show!  Maybe I have to build up a tolerance to the heat?  (I only have it set at 100).

Thought about a radio, but then again, you guys posted all the reasons not to want either a TV or radio!

salesdvl

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 08:17:39 pm »
Stu, I was going to make a joke about watching a spa video but thought I might be putting "salt on the wound" and passed on it.  But now as I reflect.... WHAT WAS I THINKING?
I need another cold one.  Gotta get my act together.

;)

To Yor.  Hope you are in hot water soon.  And I mean that the good way.
Measure once, cut twice.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 08:21:43 pm »

Are you going to call it the DAIT-POPPER?

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 08:34:28 pm »
I admit, I have watched TV from a spa before. However, this was limited to 'cant miss' football events and such. Its not something I do in the normal course of soaking.

I have worked on a spa with the pop-up television, CD stereo and DVD. One of the electric motors that lifted the 13" monitor, burnt up and had to be replaced and the lift mechanism needed to be restrung so that it would operate correctly, and not burn up another motor.

Such an overly engineered system is a preposterous extravagance and a open door for future mechanical glitches IMO.

If youre determined to watch TV from the warm bubbly comfort of your spa, I recommend mounting a television on a swing arm stand with both the electrical supply and TV no closer than 5 feet horizontally to the waters surface (and NO you should not mount the TV above your spa...). But ultimately, despite my hypocrisy, I think your spa is a retreat from such things...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 12:33:43 am »
We don't have a TV. We have a monitor and a big stack of DVDs, but not broadcast TV of any kind.

So, since we have seen all the movies in our library many times, and seeing a new one takes more time than we generally stay in the tub, we prefer to look at candy bars instead.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 12:33:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42