What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: TDS  question  (Read 3528 times)

salesdvl

TDS  question
« on: November 02, 2004, 09:19:46 pm »
Is there a test for total dissolved solids?  I dont remember ever seeing one in a kit.  How do you know when they are getting high?  

On my showroom floor I have 2 spas that I did not put covers on.  All the others have covers.  I have been anticipating these 2 spas to start to have water problems ( cloudy etc... ) I have to top them off every day or 2 and they are crystal clear.  I'm sure the TDS are high, since they've been going since early spring, but it doesnt seem to bother the clarity.  ??

I use Di-chlor in them and they both have o3.

thoughts?   thanks.
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

TDS  question
« on: November 02, 2004, 09:19:46 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: TDS  question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 09:28:07 pm »
Salesdvl;

Are you asking if there is a test kit for consumers to use at home or are you asking how we test for TDS?

Most of my customers depend on me to provide TDS readings. I am not at the store so I can't tell you a make and model. I place some water in the "cup" at the top and push a button and hold. Ocassionally the device needs a new battery or re-calibration.

The TDS may be high. Your ozone is keepoing the clarity up and TDS down. The fact that the cover is off, now I am speculating, would allow your dichlor and ozone to do excellent oxiding.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 06:03:12 am »
After owning a HT for almost 3 years I do not need a test kit for TDS, I can just tell when it's time. The water gets sluggish, meaning the bubbles arn't as crisp, ummm it stays cloudy longer after you turn the jets from high to off, ummm it's hard to explain but it is something you just know. It's based on use as much as, how much stuff (sanitizer, and balance products) you put in the tub. My water is almost 4 months old right now and didn't get used alot the first 2 months but now as we used it last night I said to my wife, the water is sluggish it is time to change it. She just didn't understand! If I would have tested for TDS when I first filled and I would of tested now I am sure I would see it is truely time. I't important to know where you started from at a fresh fill also. TDS in fresh water is different everywhere.
Retired

wetone

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 08:36:59 am »
Aquachek has testing strips for TDS, alot of our customers use them for their spas. They mesure from 0 - 5000 ppm TDS.

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 09:02:48 am »
thanks.  I'll order some test strips.

Measure once, cut twice.

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:08:25 am »
I place some water in the "cup" at the top and push a button and hold.

HTM

ABRAH KADABRAH.....

I remember when I first got into this industry we used to have a huge chemistry set to test customer water.  Test tubes, solutions etc...  Now we just dip a strip and put it in the scanner and read the computer printout.  Not nearly as exciting.
Measure once, cut twice.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 03:37:49 pm »
The strips seem to work OK but I find the range isn't very good.  I think there's a marker on the strip for 1500 and the next one is for 3000.  If you are looking to make sure it's under 2000 it's hard to judge with the way the strips are setup.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 03:42:15 pm »
The strips seem to work OK but I find the range isn't very good.  I think there's a marker on the strip for 1500 and the next one is for 3000.  If you are looking to make sure it's under 2000 it's hard to judge with the way the strips are setup.

I would not recommend using a spa with TDS over 1500. 3000 is useless as well as the pool should be drained at 2500.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 04:39:28 pm »
I wonder at what ppm the water would actually be able to support weight. ? :)
Measure once, cut twice.

zzaphod42

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 05:03:27 pm »
I would not recommend using a spa with TDS over 1500. 3000 is useless as well as the pool should be drained at 2500.

HTM

Not entirely correct as many people using well water to fill their hot tub often start with a TDS reading of 1500 - 2000. I have quite a few customers who don't drain their hot tub until readings are in the 3000 plus range.

We use a TDS "pen" to test the water, and it seems to work very well. I have never seen the strips before but from what people are posting about the scale, they don't sound very accurate or effective to me.

Joe

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 05:03:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42