What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electic hook up pricing  (Read 3180 times)

wdavis1

electic hook up pricing
« on: October 25, 2004, 06:16:57 pm »
I know this is a difficult thing to guage, as I'm sure prices in different cities will vary significantly, but we have gotten a quote to install the electric hookup for our tub and I have a bad case of sticker shock.
To meet code the service has to be moved approx. 10 feet away from the tub.  This is the meter, not the service to the house.  In addition, the electrician says we have to put in a new breaker box because we don't have room for another set of breakers for the tub.
For this he wants $1500.
This may be completly reasonable, my knowledge in this area is absolute zero.  I am going to get a couple of more quotes, but was just curious if anyone would care to comment.

Hot Tub Forum

electic hook up pricing
« on: October 25, 2004, 06:16:57 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: electic hook up pricing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 08:24:58 pm »
Since rates and codes are variable from city to city, state to state, country to country (lots of canadians and brits here too) your question is impossible for any of us to answer. To my knowledge, electricians do not charge to do estimates. I always encourage at least three estimates before proceding with the contract.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 09:15:44 pm »
We paid just over $600 US in North Carolina to run of about 20 feet.  We have a split panel so from the outside panel he ran a conduit to the GFCI Box and then it was another 5 feet or so from the GFCI Box to the tub.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 09:23:08 pm »
We just did this, too.  Estimated at $600.00, but the final bill has not arrived yet.  I'm hoping it will be less because my hubby dug the trench for the conduit.. which saved him significant time.   Our electricians had to make room in our box, run about 30-40 feet of wire underground to the gfci box, and he will come back out next week when the tub arrives to do the final hook up.

Get lots of estimates.

Elle

jenn

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 11:59:26 pm »
While its true that the price will vary significantly depending on where you are, its always helpful to hear what others are paying!  

I'm in Colorado, and we too had sticker shock at what it cost for us to do the electrical.  It was actual done by an electrician who is friends with one of my husband's employees so we were comfortable that we got an o.k. deal...We also had to replace our breaker panel since there wasn't room for the hot tub, plus ours wasn't UL listed anymore so it was something that needed to be done.  To replace the panel and run about 30 feet to the tub cost us $1,800.  We also had an estimate for around $3,500...so that tells you that it can really vary!  We were initially under the impression that it was only going to cost around $500 and that was without replacing the breaker box...

Good luck!

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:18:31 am »
I think 1500.00 sounds a bit high compared to what we pay in my area. But all things are relative to the equation. I would get a few more estimates.

One thing to remenber is the price of steel has taken a steep increase in the last six months, electricians along with almost everyone else have to pass their costs on to the consumer.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 10:36:50 am »
If you can get another couple estimates, at least you can see if your current one is realistic.  Getting people out to do bids isn't always easy, though.  If the electricians in your area have enough or too many larger jobs, they'll bid high on small ones.  
For a replacement of a main panel and moving the main feeds or meter, your bid of $1500 isn't too far out of line.
Does this job require your to upgrade your service.  Many older homes have 60 or 100 amp service, which may require upgrading to 150 or 200 amp.  Did your bid mention anything like that?
Is it possible that you could get by with having a sub panel installed, or that piggyback breakers be installed to create room in your existing panel.  
Ask about those options, to at least see if they're possible, and if they'd save you any money.
Brewman
Brewman

NightOne

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 02:21:21 pm »
From my past research, it seems like a lot of electricians want to quote by the job. I would recommend finding one that will quote you by the hour. You'll be "shocked" to find that some of the guys don't want to tell you their hourly price because it doesn't add up so well on some of their quotes.

I wouldn't use anyone who wouldn't tell me the hourly rate.

When they actually come to look at the job, get a commitment on how many hours it will take and get a price on parts upfront.

Also, "supervise" the work. Don't get in the way, start telling them how to do it, or ask a lot of questions...but do keep a constant eye on them. One, it will make it go faster (and thus be cheaper to you) and you'll avoid getting screwed.

Finally, if you have a choice of a union or non-union guy and price is in the same ball park, pick the union guy.

just my 2 cents

Gman

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:46:55 pm »
I had a new service added this summer for my pool -- it cost me about $1700.  

sobe

• Sundance optima owner
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 05:23:29 pm »
Check with the electrician if you have to upgrade the electric to 200amps as lot of times it is necessary to do that and that generally runs about $2000 and another $400-$600 to wire the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 05:23:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42