What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Method used to add Dichlor & MPS to shock  (Read 3591 times)

Max78

Method used to add Dichlor & MPS to shock
« on: October 19, 2004, 09:41:25 pm »
When you use 1 TBSP of dichlor and 2 TBSP of MPS to shock as some on here have suggested, do you add one then wait awhile (~15 minutes or so) to add the other or do you just add then both at the same time?

Hot Tub Forum

Method used to add Dichlor & MPS to shock
« on: October 19, 2004, 09:41:25 pm »

cparlf

Re: Method used to add Dichlor & MPS to shock
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 09:04:52 am »
I only use dichlor to shock

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 10:33:24 am »
Max,

It is my understanding through reading the booklet that came with my Taylor Test Kit that chlorine added for shock will not operate as such unless a quantity large enough to achieve the "breakpoint" is added.....normally 7-10 times the normal dichlor sanitation amount.  This would lead me to believe that the dichlor added as you suggest would not contribute to the shock but would add to the free chlorine present in your tub.....certainly all well and good.  If this is the case, and since the MPS targets the combined chlorine and contaminants, I'd say you could add the dichlor either just before or just after the MPS.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:39:30 pm »
I add the dichlor first and the non chlorine shock right after.  BioGuard/SpaGuard makes a product called enhanced shock which is chlorine/non chlorine shock all in one, so adding together seems to be OK.

nicker

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:11:29 pm »
I believe windsurfdog is correct.  I had this problem just last week.  I am new to tubbing so I made a mistake.

I was using Dichlor after each use (using too much) and then when I shock too (not enough).  So my water all though was very clear started to smell and foam a little bit.  So I brought a sample in and had them test it as my testing strips could only test the usual 3.  What they found was I was not using enough shock to kill off all the unused dichlor.  So I am now using 1 tbs of dichlor after each use (max once a day) and then shocking once a week with Spa Shock (about 3 cap fulls).  My tub is 275 Gallons.   And so far (tonight will be my second shock) it seems to be working.  My water smells much better and feels better too.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:11:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42