What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bleach raising ph?  (Read 2512 times)

Gibson00

Bleach raising ph?
« on: December 05, 2021, 08:41:46 am »
So, made the switch from dichlor to bleach 24 hours ago, and taking a PH measurement today, it looks like it went from about 7.5 to 8.

Is that usual?  Just throw in some ph down?  Will this happen every time I add in bleach daily??

Thx

Hot Tub Forum

Bleach raising ph?
« on: December 05, 2021, 08:41:46 am »

A.O.

Re: Bleach raising ph?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 08:46:52 am »
PH normally raises with aeration not bleach. What do you keep your TA at?  and sometimes it will take a little while to stabilize. Muriatic acid is better for lowering the PH without a bunch of other stuff in there.

Gibson00

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 08:52:14 am »
TA is sitting around 90.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 12:18:22 pm »
Bleach has a pH of about 13, so it will raise your pH.  Aeration will too.

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 01:08:34 pm »
PH normally raises with aeration not bleach.

True and not true.  The pH of Sodium Hypo is high, as Castletonia said.  It will absolutely bring your pH up

Gibson00

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 09:22:09 am »
So the more I read about bleach and ph, etc, the more posts I find about how lots of people/dealers believe bleach is a bad alternative to use in the hot tub - raises ph thus requiring putting acid (ph down) in constantly (I am experiencing this, and my TA is at a decent level I think, around 80ppm), drys skin more, less effective at disinfecting.
I don't know what to believe anymore.

But one thing I am wondering....with regards to Dichlore and CYA.....if I am reading correctly, if you end up with CYA above say 60, you need to keep free chlorine up around the 7ppm range to be effective.

Given how quickly CYA can rise with regular use of Dichlor......and given that chances are the majority of chlorine spa owners are -not- using the dichlor to bleach method (most have never heard of it), how is it that we don't have a mass pandemic of hot tub skin infections given that CYA would be -way- over 60 after even 1 - 2 months of daily hot tub and dichlor use??  I doubt many people are keeping their chlorine levels at 7-10ppm to make up for their high level of CYA.  What am I missing??

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 08:51:03 am »
I have been using the dichlor and switching to bleach method and rarely have to use PH down. We haven’t noticed a lot of skin issues but we normally moisturize after our soak and shower before our soak.

A few years ago I started using salt in the water and found we like the feel of the water better with salt. Our tub is a 6 person 350-400 gallon range and I add 7 lbs of salt at water change. Don’t really know the science behind the salt, but the water doesn’t seem to react as rapidly to PH changing after that. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 08:51:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42