What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New to buying used hot tubs - what's important?  (Read 4147 times)

slo

New to buying used hot tubs - what's important?
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:54:40 pm »
Hi all. My wife and I bought our first house two years ago now, and we're toying around with the idea of getting a hot tub. I've been watching Craigslist and FB Marketplace for them, and I've talked to a couple of people with them for sale. I'm finding that I don't know how to evaluate these listings. When a used car says "new tires, new alternator, new muffler" I know that's a good thing. But if a hot tub listing says "new seals," is that good or bad?

I'll give an example. Here's a listing and some replies from the seller I was looking at recently:
8 man deep hot tub pumps heater panels all good . Runs heats up 120 no problem it has 2 pumps very strong we got a new one ..
I replaced all the wood on the bottom and has new impellers.
(Needs 3 or 4 jets re sealed. And sides put back on. ) we got a new one need this gone . Will be open to trades asking 1500 cash bo.. it was winterized and flipped on side to drain alllll water out of it ..

It was used when I got it I replaced   lines , all the wood  on the bottom,  p.t. frame  new pump new impellers.      New heater  so it's all new it needs a few  jets   re sealed  and my wife wanted  a bigger  one ? Why idk lol  we got a 12 ft x 9 ft new. Lol  happy  if happy  life.    It only slow leak happen  at the end of the year.  And wood  only go down  6 in but I was go to just re seale them all  the tub is great   I'm 6ft tall and sitting  its at my neck. Goes  to 120 no problem.

Aside from his unfortunate writing, I'm not sure how to interpret this. It sounds like he's replacing a pump or two, the wooden casing, all impellers, and the heater. It needs some jets resealed and sounds like it may have a slow leak.

This leads me to these general questions:
1. Are new impellers a good thing, or sign of a problem?
2. Are replaced pumps a good thing, or sign of a problem?
3. Is a new heater a good thing, or sign of a problem?
4. Are resealing jets a normal maintenance operation (e.g. replacing tires on a used car), or the sign of a major point of failure developing?
5. How serious are unidentified leaks?
6. Would you buy a used tub without knowing the exact age? Is it even possible to figure that out, even with a serial or model number?
7. What's the oldest you'd go on a used tub?

I'm hoping you guys can help me evaluate this listing specifically, but also used tub listings in general. I've been doing some research but haven't found any significant sources of info. I'd love any insight you all can provide, or reading material/videos you've found helpful. Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

New to buying used hot tubs - what's important?
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:54:40 pm »

cranbiz

Re: New to buying used hot tubs - what's important?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 08:44:18 am »
You really want to see this with water in it and running. You want to sit in it to see if it's comfortable for you and yours, you want to test all it's functions.

There are a lot of red flags here for me. Heating to 120 is unsafe, it may need new sensors or a control board. Leaks are a PITA to trace and troubleshoot. If it's a control board, you are looking at a new spa pack more likely than not.

An older tub will require maintenance so the new stuff if nice but in it's current state, you don't know if the new parts were installed right.

If it was free, maybe. For $1500 I would pass.

A.O.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 09:30:24 am »
I too, am in the TAKE A PASS boat!!  I'm thinking RUN dont WALK away from this one...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 10:54:25 am »
LOL:

1) Heats to 120º? Are they making soup?
2) "Needs 3 or 4 jets re sealed." OK MR. DIYer, go ahead and replace them so it no longer works and then we'll talk because $1500 for a leaky tub isn't happening?
3) "I replaced all the wood on the bottom". Yeah because it leaked for who knows how long soaking the wood and rotting it. Why not fix the leaks first and then the wood afterward? If you have an electrical fire in your house due to a wiring issue do you fix the fire damage before you fix the wiring issue?
4) "my wife wanted  a bigger  one ?" I think she really wanted a non-leaker and that project out of her yard!

They replaced a few things which is good but I get the feeling he took care of the low lying fruit but begged off the leaks for a reason. You don't need his headache let alone pay him to take his problem out of his yard.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

slo

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 03:21:08 pm »
Hey guys. Thanks for all the informative responses! He has already bargained himself down to $850. I presume I could get it for $500, but I figured even free it might be a real chore, so I had already written it off. It serves as a good learning case though.

If I'm buying a used tub, should I expect to need to reseal jets? Is that a normal maintenance thing, or is that a "only in case of specific failures" type of job?

cranbiz

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 03:59:14 pm »
I wouldn't expect to.

On a used tub, nothing is beyond the realm of possibility but That's why it's important to be able to see it in operation.

If it's not running and full, most likely, they are trying to hide something. Now, if he was to pay you $500, it might be worth taking a chance.

A.O.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 07:22:59 pm »
Hey guys. Thanks for all the informative responses! He has already bargained himself down to $850. I presume I could get it for $500, but I figured even free it might be a real chore, so I had already written it off. It serves as a good learning case though.

If I'm buying a used tub, should I expect to need to reseal jets? Is that a normal maintenance thing, or is that a "only in case of specific failures" type of job?

I've had hot tubs for about 30 years now, have not "resealed " a jet yet.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 08:11:52 pm »

Used tubs are fine if the price is right and your skills and ambition can help fix small problems. Obviously a better built tub will outlast a middle of the road tub or a cheap tub. But that doesn't mean parts won't fail on any grade tub, some quicker than others. 5-8 years before stuff starts to break on cheap tubs, 8-12 on middle of the road and up to 30 on some higher quality tubs. But you still may be replacing parts on a 10 year old high quality tub. Seeing it run is the best ,but ask here and provide specifics you will get honest answers.

Glad you passed on the ones you posted.
Retired

slo

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 05:09:20 pm »
Hello again. In my continued search for an inexpensive but not garbage hot tub, I figure I'll bump this thread each time I find a listing that I've got some questions about. I figure it's better than making a new thread every single time I've got questions about a listing. I appreciate all the answers you guys have given me so far, it's great information!

This time it's a 2003 Jacuzzi J-370, listed for $1,300. Here's what the seller has to say:
I purchased it from my neighbor in 2007. It has worked perfectly every year since then. We used it all seasons even through the winters. All pumps work as does the mother board. Shell does not leak. As mentioned it has a FLO message at the moment so probably needs a FLO switch which I replaced 2 or 3 times in the past. It’s only 68 dollars. We purchased a new when my wife saw it while browsing at Gary Pools. I can fill it with water to show you that it functions if you are interested

Given what I've read about lifespans, an 18 year old tub does cause me concern. At the same time, if it's mostly running well, and just needs a part replaced that's a standard maintenance fix, is that a problem? I'm also curious about the general opinion of Jacuzzi brand tubs. Are they one of the higher quality vendors, with long lasting products, or are they realistically low-to-mid tier and getting by on brand name?

$1,300 feels expensive for a tub this old, especially since I found a thread on these forums 12 years old(!) of someone buying a 2002 J-370 for $1,000. It looks like that was a great deal back then, and I figure I can knock the price down, maybe to somewhere between $500 and $750, but still.

My main questions here are:
-Is replacing the FLO switch every few years typical, or does that indicate some other, more serious problem?
-How does Jacuzzi rank in terms of product quality?
-Is it ever a good idea to buy a tub this old?

vippoolsandspas

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 07:51:32 pm »
Find Tub for $500.  The shell color and style you like.  Put new pump and spa pack in if needed.  Expect to put around $3000 into it.  At least you'll have a warranty on all the parts.  The Shell lasts forever.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 07:17:11 am »
There are wear items in any spa. Pump seals, heater elements and pressure/flow switches so yes some will require replacement every so often...some never.
Jacuzzi is the original and in the higher tier...as far as price goes. They can be very proprietary and some repairs can be more expensive because of that.

Should you buy a spa his old... depends on your budget and what is available in your area at the time you are buying. I've seen 2003 cars that are junk and others are mint condition. At $1300 you could replace most of the mechanicals with new and still be under 2500. Careful with Jacuzzi spas when you are inspecting. They have a very deep floor pan and you have to check for leaks by opening panels and getting your hand right down to the bottom to check for wet areas. Also look around the jets for cracked seals between the jet body and acrylic. If it's dry inside and the jet seals and pump seals are in good condition I would absolutely  consider buying.
#1 rule of buying a used spa...Never buy a spa you don't see running and up to temperature.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 07:17:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42