What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tub Access  (Read 3598 times)

Sol_Dahbrishinsky

Tub Access
« on: September 22, 2004, 02:24:54 pm »
A number of the subcontractors have offered their advice at the placement of the tub.

Is it true that walking several more steps to the tub makes soaking less desirable?

A couple of the contractors suggested that the tub should be closer to the house and i think it will look nicer centered in the area behind our bedroom.

Should i go for aesthetics or convenience?

My inclination says make it look good and the extra steps won't matter once  soaking.

What say you veterans of the spa world :o ::) ???

Hot Tub Forum

Tub Access
« on: September 22, 2004, 02:24:54 pm »

jaw

• Golf - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
Re: Tub Access
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 02:32:45 pm »
I am in No. VA (51st state).

Our tub is off to one side of an L shaped deck. with the main deck (the long part running the length of the house.

The tub deck is 1/2 a bar with seats and lights and 1/2 for the tub.

It is 2 steps down from the main deck.

It is about 15 steps from the door.

In winter it is a cold 15 steps going out, and no big deal going back.

Put YOUR tub where YOU want it. YOU have to live with it.

Suggestion - do A LOT of internet surfing for pictures to see what others have done.

KC-SWO

• Waiting for my new deck, Dreaming of my BC 750
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 02:36:53 pm »
I'd be interested in this answer as well.

The location I have selected for my spa is beside my deck on the furthest side from the door to the house.  While this seems bad, that is the side of the deck that opens up to the back yard, and is most scenic and quiet.

My other other choices are between the house and garage, or between the deck and the driveway.

zacman

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 02:38:44 pm »
A "few" more steps will not, in my opinion, matter.  There may be some inertia to overcome wherever the spa is located - i.e., to leave a warm house and venture out, but once that inertia is overcome, a bit more distance should not matter.  Our spa, by the way, is about 120 feet away from our house.  When we are contemplating using it, it is not the distance that would deter us.  Other factors might - how cozy we are at the moment, what else we are involved in. . . but we have never said to ourselves - well we would like to use the spa, but it is too far away.  However, we have only had the spa for about 6 days. . . I don't know if you are concerned solely about the distance, or about the distance coupled with a weather issue.  

bethshar

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 03:11:41 pm »
A decent view and some privacy are probably more important than a few extra steps.  A hundred feet would probably make a difference when it is cold out!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 04:35:14 pm »
Sol,
You left out one important fact. Where do you live? I always tell people they will prefer their tub as close to the house entrance as possible for ease of getting in the warm house but that is only ONE part of the equation. Now the reality is you can put it anywhere you want and for aesthetics maybe the middle of the yard is best for you but you have to weigh each side. If you live in Hawaii, San Diego, Phoenix, etc. you probably can survive the walk in the fall/winter time. Even if you live in The Yukon Territory you don't have to have it close to the house but the boys might prefer it. There is no set answer for this but I think many who have it far away can tell you they wish it were closer at times and many who have it close are happy they do.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Sol_Dahbrishinsky

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 07:42:45 pm »
No Cal---- so the frozen tundra   we ain't   :o :o

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 09:38:40 pm »
I say go with your gut.  No. Cal might get chilly but not that bad.  In the end it is up to you.   ;)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 11:27:54 am »
Hey Sol:

As you can see from my location, I'm just south of you.  Winters in Virginia ain't that big a deal, at least near the coastline.

The problem with putting the tub near the house is that things always seem "to get in the way" unless you have a flush mount on the surface of a deck.  I have friends with tubs against their house and the area around the tub always seems crowded.

Also at issue is water splashed against the house and condensation under the eaves during winter.  Kids LOVE to get everything wet -- including your house -- so putting it right up against the brick or siding might not be a good idea.  Tubs also generate a good amount of steam during colder weather and if this steam rises under your eaves (through your attic vents) and into the attic, it can wet your insulation and cause mildew or rot. All in all, I’d consider at least 10 ft away from my house the minimum distance I’d be happy with for tub placement. My current placement is a little more than this and I’ve never had a problem with being cold when getting in the tub.  Just make certain that when the wind is blowing during the winter, you open the tub and get it running FULLY dressed, not just in your swimsuit (or less, depending on the situation...).

JAW gave some excellent advice about looking for pictures and set-ups on the Internet.  Also, check out a number of the pool and spa magazines out there for pictures -- even the advertisements have GREAT ideas.

Good luck!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 11:38:49 am »
Place your tub where you will enjoy it the most.  Part of the experience is to enjoy the view, the quiet, the romantic, the private, and the ohh so many other elements that could come to mind.  Distance from the door is a consideration but in my mind came in distant last in the placement of our tub.

My wife tells it this way.  Think outside the box. Look not only at the placement of your tub but all that will be impacted by it or not and how you think the surroundings should be like. Do you want a bar or sitting area on one side. Do you want walls, or gardens, or decking, etc.... lights or barbecue.  Our neighbours just bought themselves the Sundance Cameo and have decided to change their entire backyard by landscaping it to build around their tub. Now I admit, they have the $$$ to do it, so that also becomes a factor.

In the end, let your desire dictate where it should go and not everyone else, who will never use it as much as you, tell you what they think.

Jordy

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 12:38:03 am »
It all sounds like the tropics compared to where I'm from. In Calgary, Alberta Canada we don't usually have to recommend to our clients to position the tub "as close to the door of the house as possible". They've already got that figured out, unless of course, they're new in town and didn't happen to notice the mountains on their way into town!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 12:38:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42