What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog SWCG Conversion  (Read 7235 times)

bacontrees

Re: Bullfrog SWCG Conversion
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 02:02:58 pm »
Dichlor and bleach.

Not helpful, thanks.

Just trying to make it simple and easy for you, tubs are supposed to be simple and easy. Over complicating things never helps.

Using the dichlor and bleach sanitation method is the easiest out there. Your never soaking in chlorine (unlike a salt tub)

That's funny.  OP is over complicating the whole thing.  Just reread the first post.  I lost interest before I was halfway through it.  And then disses your simple and effective solution.  Nice try bacon lol

I'm "over-complicating" this because that's the type of person I am.  I knew this thread wouldn't be for everyone (or even most), but I figured someone, at some point, may find interest in it.  I'm sorry you don't find interest in this; it's clearly not meant for you.

I've never "dissed" dichlor/bleach method or suggested it to be an expensive or ineffective solution.  On the contrary, mine and others' experience prove it to be very effective and inexpensive.

If I had asked the question of how to use chlorine in a hot tub that would have been an excellent suggestion, but that was not my question.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 02:02:58 pm »

bud16415

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 09:01:19 am »
Dichlor and bleach.

Not helpful, thanks.

Just trying to make it simple and easy for you, tubs are supposed to be simple and easy. Over complicating things never helps.

Using the dichlor and bleach sanitation method is the easiest out there. Your never soaking in chlorine (unlike a salt tub)

I am currently using this method, and while it is absolutely effective, it's not going to be more "simple and easy" than a system where I rarely have to do a damn thing.  Yes, I'm spending a lot of time/effort planning right now, but that's just because I'm a perfectionist.

Plenty of folks have purchased and tossed in an inexpensive Saltron Mini and couldn't be happier.  15-minute install time.  At $230 that's the equivalent of 62 bottles of HDX 8.25 bleach.  Add $8 for a 40lb bag of salt that will last years, and the SWCG will pay for itself over time.  I'm not sure how long the Saltron cell lasts, but the Chlor-o-matic cell is rated for 7k-10k hours, which is more than enough time to pay for itself several times over, all while reducing the time I spend monitoring my tub's chemistry.

As for "never soaking in chlorine" I prefer to be soaking in a very small amount (.5-1ppm).  Hell, my drinking water just tested at 2ppm, and the EPA allows up to 4.  The Frog @ease system seems to be the best thing out there, maintaining a constant .5-1ppm chlorine, but it's $250/year in cartridges, and I'm not a big fan of disposables.  The SmarterSpa should allow me to accomplish nearly the same thing for much less.

I agree with your thoughts and I’m the one that suggested adding salt for the feel and the saltron unit as a simple solution. I don’t have a salt gen yet but have a good friend that has been using one for years. His was so old it didn’t have the programmable settings yet and he built his own timer unit to control it. He got about 5 years out of his first anode cleaning it with vinegar once a month. That’s what I mainly liked about this type was that the anode is not hidden and it is accessible for cleaning. Plus the cost is very good both as a initial purchase and then to buy replacements.

Right now I use the dichlor/ bleach method switching when stabilizer reaches 30-50 PPM and I have the inline @ease as backup when I go away for a week or two. I open the cartridge and just add enough for the time I will be gone. One or two cartridges are all I need for a year.     

As for salt I have just been using pool salt. I put it in a large mixing bowl and set it on the cool down seat and let it make its way into the water as it dissolves.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 09:01:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42