What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Insulated Ground Wire  (Read 4681 times)

wjmeehan

Insulated Ground Wire
« on: September 14, 2004, 05:45:20 pm »
I'm working on installing the electrical service for my new hot tub, and I have a question on running the electrical connection.

According to the National Electrical Code (NEC), it states in section 680.25 (B) that:

"An equipment grounding conductor shall be installed with the feeder conductors between the grounding terminal of the pool equipment panelboard and the grounding terminal of the applicable service equipment or source of a separately derived system.  For other than (1) existing feeders covered in 680.25(A), Exception or (2) feeders to separate building that do not utilize an insulated equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 680.25(B)(2), this equipment grounding conductor shall be insulated."

...  "These provisions shall apply to any feeder on the supply side on panelboards supplying branch circuits for pool equipment covered in Part II of this article and on the load side of the service equipment or the source of a separately derived system."

OK so last weekend, I ran 120 ft of 4-3 (inside the house) without an insulated ground, now what do I do?

Do I have to run new wire?

Can I put in a junction box and switch to the an insulated ground wire before exiting the house to connect to the GFI Junction Box?

Thanks,
Bill
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 05:46:02 pm by wjmeehan »

Hot Tub Forum

Insulated Ground Wire
« on: September 14, 2004, 05:45:20 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Insulated Ground Wire
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 07:20:53 pm »
Depends on your inspector.  The person ruling in my area was pretty picky.  I ended up installing THWN wire for the entire run from panel to cutoff to spa.  So my run has insulated ground wire on the entire circuit.  Not sure if non insulated ground would be allowed inside.  

If it is allowed, then you would have to switch to an insulated ground from your outside disconnect to your spa.  For sure you'd want to run copper THWN rated wire.  I was allowed to downsize my ground to 8 gauge.

Your inspector makes the final call.  Mine cited a provision in the NEC that requires any spa with a light in the water to have an insulated ground entirely.  I've heard of others where this rule was not enforced.  

Let me know what you find out.  It's interesting how the NEC is interpreted by different experts.  One of which I'm not.  

Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Insulated Ground Wire
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 07:20:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42