What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thoughts from the "O" Zone  (Read 3123 times)

UnderTheStars

Thoughts from the "O" Zone
« on: September 11, 2004, 09:25:19 am »
For those interested in comparing different ozonator brands/systems, here’s an observation.  I know absolutely nothing about ozone generators but FWIW:  Couple weeks ago there was a discussion about ozone that prompted me to look closer in my equipment cabinet.  I have a new HS Vanguard (love it!) and bought it with the HS ozonator.  When I looked inside I found they had installed a different brand (JED = a lower priced ozonator.)  The good news is my dealer said “oops, that’s our mistake.” They ordered the HS unit/came and installed it this week.

Here’s the interesting part – I ran the JED unit a couple weeks and never smelled anything.  Many of the ozone threads mention, “most people describe it as a sweet smell.”  I didn’t give it much thought & assumed it was really faint & I just didn’t pick it up.  I also assume the JED was working ‘cause it had a red light that was on and made a faint buzzing sound.  As soon as the HS oz. fired up there was the “sweet smell.”  In fact, it’s SO strong it’s just shy of what I’d call “overpowering.”

My point is, based on smelling the output (not a scientific measurement!) there is a huge difference.  Both units use the same corona discharge method (as opposed to UV bulb.)  To me, that says if ozone really does sanitize, then the HS unit has higher output and is . . .well, doing more sanitizing.  (Unless of course, the JED was defective – it lights up/buzzes/but nothing comes out.)  :o

Well, there ‘ya go.  Now I’m going back to product testing/R&D.  (testing prototypes for the new Thermopain Beer Kozie!)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 09:27:12 am by UnderTheStars »

Hot Tub Forum

Thoughts from the "O" Zone
« on: September 11, 2004, 09:25:19 am »

Pooldevil

Re: Thoughts from the "O" Zone
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 09:39:33 am »
Hi
I think you should get this checked out as ozone is a very corrosive and damaging gas ... you should not be greeted with a strong smell of it when you open up , not only for your sake but it will also damage your cover.
The ozone should be depleated before it reaches your tub ! and it sounds like the first one was working correctly ...
You can always pull the plug and get it checked  ;)

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 10:45:59 pm »
High concentrations of ozone will smell very "fresh", like after a tunderstorm.

rodger

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 11:11:36 pm »
Under the Stars,

I think something is wrong with your installation. It was my understanding from Chas that HS had a VERY good proprietary system manufactured by Del. It was referred to as the MDV Ozone system. This system is designed to keep the 03 in contact with the water until the 03 could dissipate while doing its job. If the ozone is overwhelming, it is either not staying in contact with the water, or too much is being produced. Is the one in your tub a MDV unit? You should not even be close to being overwhelmed by the odor. I believe that would indicate there are unhealthy levels of O3 in the area. Here's a previous thread for you. Read the links that discuss the health related issues of too much 03.

http://tinyurl.com/5ahkw

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 11:11:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42