What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric and Pad Inspection  (Read 7423 times)

Sol_Dahbrishinsky

Re: Electric and Pad Inspection
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 11:24:32 am »
George:

The electrician told me that several of the outside boxes LEAK.  Is there a brand that is a step-above?

Also, he told me that if I get a box to hold more than the GFI that he would use larger cable and we would have the opportunity to add power outside from the same box.  Is this a prudent idea?

Thanks for the help...  I think the more planning ahead of time will yield a better result :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 11:24:32 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 11:44:55 am »
You can use a box large enough to hold more than just the 50 amp breaker for the tub but your wiring coming out to it and the main breaker needs to be large enough to accommodate. As far as the box leaking, I have 100's of people that have put the $79 Challenger box from Home depot that already has a GFI in it with no problem. I like to put the GFCI out in the sub-panel because it is not as long of a run and you don't have pay the extra money for a specialty breaker to match your existing panel (code requires that you use the same brand within the main panel). Most codes require that the sub- panel is no closer than 5 ft from waters edge and no further than 25 ft within view. They want you to be able to see the shut down easily and immediate in case of an emergency and they want to make sure no one can reach electric while sitting in the spa.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 11:49:11 am »
I have been installing sub panels outside for close to 20 years with no problems.

If you are concerned about the breakers and heat, put some form of shade over the box. This can be accomplished in any number of ways: put the box under a patio cover, plant a bush, hang a plant, paint it a light color (match the house?) tuck it just around a corner, put it in a box with a hinged lid/door etc.

I like having the GFI breakers in the sub panel for several reasons, not the least of which is simple economics: HotSpring ships the GFI breakers that we need to use in a GE sub panel, included in the price of the spa. Also, they are covered by the tub warranty.

But other reasons I like having them out near the tub are:
eliminates the need for another shut-off device (main reason here is the extra junctions that puts into the various circuits - esp. ground)
the breakers get tested when the user drains the tub
you can shut off the heat only if you want to cool the tub
easy troubleshooting - on the phone I can ask which breaker and that tells me a lot.
our boxes have room for another breaker (or two) for add'l circuits.
They come in a nice, nuetral grey color that goes with everything

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chris_H

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 11:53:03 am »
Chas,
If I would purchase a Hotspring Prodigy, the subpanel is not included in the price of the spa.  If I want to run the spa 220 and purchase the subpanel separately is it still covered under the warranty?
Chris H

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 11:53:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42