What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Time Hot Tub Purchase Advice - NorCal  (Read 6827 times)

TahoeJim

First Time Hot Tub Purchase Advice - NorCal
« on: April 04, 2016, 02:26:07 pm »
Good morning spa people.  Thank you for all this great content on the forums – you have been invaluable during our hot tub search. 
The situation: My wife wants a hot tub but wants to spend as little as humanly possible (e.g., Costco).  I, on the other hand, want to spend more on a nicer hot tub but am having trouble articulating the value of a more expensive hot tub to her.  Can you assist?  The hot tub search has been particularly frustrating for us (not many dealers in the location where the hot tub is going), and we really could use some advice on what to buy.

Considerations:
  • We live in the Tahoe area – so we see a lot of snow during the winter months.
  • The hot tub will likely see significant use – we see a steady stream of renters when we’re not there.
  • We have a very modest budget for the hot tub – $5k (before tax, install, etc.).
  • We would prefer a smaller hot tub (3-4 people) – In order to position the hot tub close to the door, we have limited deck space, thus we need a smaller hot tub fitting 3-4 people. (Caveat – we could buy a larger hot tub, but would have to position it in a less ideal spot).
  • Simplified maintenance/water chemistry is a big plus.  We have rental manager who will supposedly take care of the tub in between renters, but want to ensure the tub remains clean and usable until we get up there every few weeks.
  • Everything else is a plus but not a need.  I’d love strong jets, attractive aesthetics, etc.
  • We’ve determined that wet testing is not an issue.

What we’ve looked at, but ended up passing on (doesn’t mean they’re out of the game yet!  Open to arguments).
  • Freeflow – too ugly
  • Tuff spas – too ugly
  • Hot Springs Hot Spot SX – Potentially an option, but was unimpressed with the price and quality of their entry level offering.  Did not like local dealer at all.
  • Caldera Kauai – Loved this spa, more than we could afford
  • Catalina Maxi – Like this spa, but hated the dealer and too much $$

Current Finalists

• Cheap option ($2,499) – Aquaterra Spas Adriana 4 person spa
  • Less-cheap option (<$5,000) – Tropic Seas Lanai 3 person spa.  I personally loved this spa but my wife is having trouble with the price. (comes with warranty, delivery, steps, cover, lifter, frog@ease system, chemicals, etc.)
  • Potentially a used hot tub.  Can get more for your money (size-wise), but am slightly uncomfortable with the thought of a 10 year old hot tub with a tiny warranty.

Questions:
  • Anyone have any experience with either hot tub finalists?
  • Are there any entry level hot tubs/brands that we’re not considering that I should investigate?
  • Are there any considerations that I've missed that I should be thinking about?
  • Are there any hot tub dealers in the Tahoe, Reno, or Sacramento area people can recommend?  We’ve been slightly disappointed.
  • With having a steady stream of renters, are there any special considerations when purchasing a hot tub to make our lives easier?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice!

Hot Tub Forum

First Time Hot Tub Purchase Advice - NorCal
« on: April 04, 2016, 02:26:07 pm »

Hottubprosne

Re: First Time Hot Tub Purchase Advice - NorCal
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »
I would go the freflow route they are ugly but very durable for renters.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 04:38:23 pm »
Im a Tuff Spas dealer.  And while I'm not going to persuade you to that product, I will say that a Roto-Mold tub (like Freeflow, Strong Spas, Tuff Spas, etc) would probably be the better play if this tub is going to be on a rental property.  Acrylic is awesome but Roto-Mold will hold up as renters tend to not treat things as well as they should.  Just a suggestion.

Additionally, Tuff and Strong Spas have heavy duty covers that are built into the tub and have a lifetime warranty.  This is also nice as covers can be expensive to replace.  They are both 110 or 220v also.

Mind you- I do two showcase other brands that are arcylic.  But I am just thinking that for a rental property you may indeed prefer a one-piece hot tub that will have a lifetime warranty on the cover and the mold and will stand up to the wear and tear of renters.

However, I have never dealt with renters and I am just a dealer.  Other posters may have a different point of view and I hope they chime in.

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

TahoeJim

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 05:14:51 pm »
Thanks for your input!  I'll take another pass at Tuff Spas (specifically the TT-250)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 05:28:59 pm »
  Good advice on the roto-mold spas!    One question is anybody taking care of this spa when the renters leave, on site maid if you will?   Like mentioned renters/skiers/ actually really hard core partiers  ;)  are tough on spa's, so you want something as simple as you can get with not a lot of bells and whistles..   Unless they are high end rentals but even they can be hard on things..

TahoeJim

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 05:34:09 pm »
We have a management company clean the house thoroughly after each renter.  The company also handles chemicals.  That being said, keeping the chemical balance of a hot tub seems difficult, and while the management company is experienced, I do worry about their ability to manage the hot tub.

The roto-molds seem sturdy but I worry about:
A. Their ability to manage chemical/water balance (as compare to the higher-end frog system)
B. The general quality of their jets.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 06:16:41 pm »
Freeflow or Tuff spas for renters. No bells. No whistles. Assume that those using it will be just this side of passing out drunk....worse, if it's a high end rental ;-)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 06:59:54 pm »
I agree....roto mold simple. It will see hard use high end, or not. Change it out every 5-8 years, maybe 10 years. Keep the control box and top side working, pumps and heaters will last 4-6 years. Are you going to leave it at temp always? This will help determine 110 or 220 volt.
Retired

Meakanu

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 10:22:30 pm »
Tman122, what did you mean by "Are you going to leave it at temp always? This will help determine 110 or 220 volt."

I'm about to take delivery of an Aquaterra Adriana.  Been waiting a long time as I live in Hawaii. If I'm going to leave it at temp always, would I be better off using it as a play-n-plug on 110 v., or 220 v. if I want to minimize electric bill impact?  How about if I use a timer and only heat water shortly before use?

I kept my last tub on a timer and brought water to temp about 30 min before I wanted to use it (this was in Northern California.)  My electric bill barely moved.  Electric in Hawaii is much more costly. Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 10:22:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42