What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hurricane prep  (Read 3262 times)

FLspa

Hurricane prep
« on: September 03, 2004, 01:38:28 pm »
Well, we still haven't finished cleaning up from Charley, and now we have Frances bearing down on us. Does anyone know how best to prepare a spa for a hurricane? We're expecting a Category 2-3 here, so we're talking winds in excess of 100 mph. I'm thinking shock it really good, disconnect the electricity, and secure the cover (maybe with a couple of 2x4's on the cover, held down with ratcheting tie-downs?) I can't get in touch with my dealer, so any input or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Hurricane prep
« on: September 03, 2004, 01:38:28 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Hurricane prep
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 06:51:45 pm »
The only thing I can add is make sure the cover is strapped down. Up here in Ohio we get sudden thunderstorms with high straight line winds that can carry covers miles away.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 12:33:21 am »
We wish you well through all of this FL. Our thoughts are with the people of Florida as well as our Russian friends during this difficult time.

Steve

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 10:16:55 am »
Shut off the breakers. With high winds come power surges due to lines going down - and touching each other on the way.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

FLspa

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 04:58:21 pm »
We made it through another one! Frances walloped us pretty good, but the damage doesn't seem to be as bad as with Charley. To date, the two hurricanes have uprooted 5 of our big old oak trees in our yard. I'm talking completely pulled them out of the ground, roots and all. These are 75' + tall and with diameters of 5' or more. It's really amazing to see and gives you an idea of the winds we sustained. Luckily, all of our friends and family are safe and that's the main thing. We even have power this time!

Our homemade hurricane prep solution worked. We took two 2x4's, cut them to the length of the spa and put one at each end of the cover. (They were there mainly to protect the straps from cutting into the cover.) Then we used 3 of the ratcheting tie down straps over the cover and the 2x4's and connected them to the deck with metal eye-hooks. We also shocked the spa and turned off the breakers. This afternoon when we opened it back up, the water was a little cloudy, but not too bad. And our cover seemed fine! So hopefully none of you will have to endure a hurricane in your life, but if you do, file this away. Apparently, we'll be doing it again in a few days if Ivan keeps coming our way.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 06:57:21 am »
So glad to hear that you and your family are ok.

Sorry about the increased damage!!!

Good luck with the clean up!  Know it is a big battle!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 07:53:57 am »
FLSpa,

The center of TS Frances passed about 6 or so miles to our east yesterday.  Fortunately, our little coastal community escaped relatively unscathed.  I prepared my tub by removing the cover, the pillows and the filter compartment cover (and the rubber ducky!) and storing all inside as well as shutting down the spa by turning off the breakers.  I also initially shocked it and added more dichlor on a daily basis even with the pumps off.  So far the water has remained clear though there are small particles of trash/bugs in the tub, mostly from roof runoff--a gutter system is definitely next.  A shop vac session today should cure the flotsam.

Though I think your system is excellent and I considered doing the same, I decided to remove the cover because I just didn't want to take any chances of having the cover fly off.  I would get double damage should it fly--the cover would be trashed and I'm sure it would do damage to my house/screen porch.  Another consideration I had to make was my exposure to winds from the southern quadrant--my tub is on an open deck 8' off the ground facing due south.  I do have an open though spotty view to the Gulf.  Another possible downside to removal (besides trash in the tub) would be the cover taking a hit and protecting the tub itself--then you would still have to replace the cover.  How 'bout adding a piece of .5" plywood under your 2x4's?  Maybe that might be good protection should you decide to leave the cover on.  If you did that, I would suggest screwing the 2x4's to the plywood.  I guess all of these considerations must be weighed when developing a strategy.

Good luck with Ivan.  I'm planning to leave my storm shutters at "half mast" until Ivan's direction can be determined.  The current projected path now shows it taking the same basic track as Charley--strafing Havana and curling back up to the SW Fla coast.  Fortunately, its arrival time means plenty of tiime for the projected track to change.  Let's hope it stays away from that track, for sure.  Everyone in mainland Florida has taken enough lumps.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Lori

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 03:32:09 pm »
Windsurfdog and FLSpa,

I have been praying for the whole state of Florida since Charley.

I, too, hope Ivan takes a different course, for your sakes, and my relatives in Cuba!!!

Good luck, hang in there, the season is close to being over!!!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 09:16:32 pm »
Windsurfdog and FLSpa,

I have been praying for the whole state of Florida since Charley.

I, too, hope Ivan takes a different course, for your sakes, and my relatives in Cuba!!!

Good luck, hang in there, the season is close to being over!!!

Thank you, Lori.  I should have said everyone in mainland Florida and Cuba have taken enough lumps.   Best to yours in Cuba.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Lori

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 06:57:02 am »
Thanks!

Yeah, both have taken their lumps, and it looks like it may not be over yet!!

I thought tornado season was bad!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 06:57:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42