What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Recommendations for 8 foot spa  (Read 3883 times)

Churro

Recommendations for 8 foot spa
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:14:38 am »
First time owner looking for advice on what spa we should look at?

Here are the details:
  • Size:  8 foot 6 person spa
  • Budget: Up to $10000
  • Options:  Therapy and comfort more important than audio or cool light shows
  • Prefer quiet running as it will be near master bedroom

We have visited some showrooms and seen Marquis, Bullfrog, and Master Spas.

• What else should we look at?
  • Are there any negotiating tips or things to watch out for?
  • Is there a good time to get last year’s model on discount?

Hot Tub Forum

Recommendations for 8 foot spa
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:14:38 am »

castletonia

Re: Recommendations for 8 foot spa
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 04:08:29 pm »
I would also look into Hot Spring, Caldera, Jacuzzi, Sundance and Artesian.  Most manufacturers are already producing 2018 models, so now is a good time to try and get a good deal in remaining 2017’s.

Every dealer prices their spas different.  Some leave negotiating room, others don’t.  Once you have narrow down the choices, we can let you know if the prices are fair or not.  Also look into your dealer, they are almost as important as the brand.  Marquis and Bullfrog make quality products and are reputable company’s, Master Spas will not get a lot of love on here.  Regardless of personal opinions, I think they are a clear tier down from Marquis, Bullfrog, and the others I listed.

bradleyabell

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 04:40:45 pm »
We purchased a bullfrog x8l in September and LOVE IT!

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:58:03 pm »
We started looking for a therapeutic spa like you are about 3 years ago. We didn’t know much but we have a couple friends with them and we have been in theirs lots of times. Our one friend had a 6’ tub and we thought it was fine but he hated it and was always talking about 8’. The other friend had a salt tub and going between the two we liked the feel of the salt system better.

As soon as we started looking we saw how much nicer the larger tubs were and wanted that size. When we started asking about salt we were advised by dealers to forget salt as it would eat up the plumbing, bla bla bla. You will hear a million things from dealers and most of the time it will lead you back to what they are selling is best.

Not knowing what we wanted I had a firm 8k budget number in mind and within one day of shopping I was already saying 10k was more what we wanted. We then found out we had to bump that up to 12k. We are tall people and live where it is very cold in winter and we needed a deep tub. A couple inches can make a big difference.

Anything in that price range is going to have some bells and whistles. I didn’t care much about lights except that it had one but you will get a bunch and they will be LED co you will have colors and all that. I actually like them now. You will get ozone and a circulation pump and some sort of feeder system for chemicals. All good things.

Wet testing will tell you so much more and when you are sitting in each one picture where you will be on your deck. What side you will be getting in and out from what you will be stepping on getting in and what your view will be from each seat. Think about what direction the cover lifter will be lifting and what end it will be attached to and is that oppsite of the end you may have to get into for services pumps and such.

All the top contenders will have quality stuff in them and good insulation and good quality covers.

Think about what method you will be using for sanitation. Bromine, chlorine, salt generated chlorine, or other.

A big one I didn’t think much about is service. I assumed I would be delivered and serviced by the people that sold it. I was quite surprised when their competitor showed up with my tub and told me they would be who I should call for service.

I did my own setup and install but check into the cost of having the 240 run and sub panel installed and tub wired. Some tubs come with the GFCI sub panel included.

The list of brands posted above sounds good to me also.

One of the best things we did for ourselves was buying the tub. It is a bit hectic figuring it all out and getting started with maintaining it but once its running smoothly nothing nicer.

Good luck.     

Conine2965

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:33:42 pm »
I have a Marquis Vector 94l great tub with a non lounger version right around the 8k mark.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 10:35:49 pm »

We have visited some showrooms and seen Marquis, Bullfrog, and Master Spas.

• What else should we look at?
  • Are there any negotiating tips or things to watch out for?
  • Is there a good time to get last year’s model on discount?

If it were me, besides Marquis and Bullfrog (and crossing Master off the list) I'd go to the websites of Artesian, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance to use their dealer locator to see if any of those are in the area.

Visit all and pick a favorite model from 3 or so dealers to wet test. Only chose from dealers that seem like someone you trust will be there for you after the sale.

There are many negotiating techniques to use but I'd let slip to all of them that you're checking out multiple options and plan to wet test a few that you like and that you feel you're getting a good deal on.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Churro

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 12:29:26 am »
Thanks everyone this is a good start!  I will let you know as we start looking more the next few weeks

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 06:28:12 am »
I would add Beachcomber and Arctic to the list of high quality brands like Marquis, D1 and Hot Springs.
Retired

guardrail22

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:54 pm »
We got an Artesian South Seas 965L.

Only issue so far is we don’t know enough to get out in less than an hour.

Churro

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 10:45:33 pm »
We have looked at a handful of spas suggested and done wet tests of Bullfrog, Marquis, and Nordic (because it was there).  We liked the Bullfrog A7 the best.  We decided we didn’t want a lounger.  The Marquis was nice but the ability to adjust the jets would be a battle with our 10 year old  :D.  We are discussing floor models.  Is ~10500 for an R8 a good deal?  We are back and forth between the As and the Rs and the 7s and the 8s. 

We have to figure out the pad for the tub and the electric before we finalize everything.  And suggestions on that we leaning toward pea gravel with a pressure treated frame.

bud16415

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 10:17:33 am »
Keep in mind a 8 foot tub is around 800 pounds empty and moving and then sliding them into place is not a easy task. Something like pea gravel in my mind is going to move around under the tub depending on what kind of a base pan the tub has. 

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:08 am »
We have looked at a handful of spas suggested and done wet tests of Bullfrog, Marquis, and Nordic (because it was there).  We liked the Bullfrog A7 the best.  We decided we didn’t want a lounger.  The Marquis was nice but the ability to adjust the jets would be a battle with our 10 year old  :D.  We are discussing floor models.  Is ~10500 for an R8 a good deal?  We are back and forth between the As and the Rs and the 7s and the 8s. 

We have to figure out the pad for the tub and the electric before we finalize everything.  And suggestions on that we leaning toward pea gravel with a pressure treated frame.

Just soaked in my R8 this morning, loooove it :-) That's a fair price, I have a leftover on my floor for $500 more but I'm including an upgraded step and an extra jetpak so it almost works out to the same exact price.  Good Luck! R8 with the foot dome is a killer tub, obviously so is the A8 if you can swing the extra $

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42