What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Plastic smell of jacuzzi..how long until gone?  (Read 11138 times)

ABQBeth

Plastic smell of jacuzzi..how long until gone?
« on: August 01, 2004, 12:22:29 pm »
I've had my Jacuzzi tub for a month now, I use it every evening with the bubblers on, and I love it.  But when I run the jets, there is a very strong "plastic" smell outgassing.  I'm using soft soak chemicals, which I also like quite a bit.  All chem values are normal.  Has anyone had this strong plastic smell outgassing, and how long did it last?  I've been running the jets and bubblers when I'm not in there, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Plastic smell of jacuzzi..how long until gone?
« on: August 01, 2004, 12:22:29 pm »

OnMedic

Re: Plastic smell of jacuzzi..how long until gone?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 12:59:39 pm »
Isn't that like the "new car smell"? I like the smell of my new tub and hope it never goes!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 02:09:05 pm »
I have no "new car smell" emitting from my 3 week old tub.  Not sure what you are experiencing....maybe the soft soak chems?  I'm using straight dichlor with an ozonator.  Strong ozone smell once the cover is lifted but, other than that, no smell at all as long as chloromines are shocked away.  Good luck.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 02:59:25 pm »
So thats the smell of Ozone when i open it up.Once opened the water smells and looks clean........Jt

poolboy34

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 11:21:37 pm »
That's a pretty strong ozone smell which means there's a lot of off-gasing occuring which is NOT good for your spa cover, nor the life of it.  Not to mention that ozone is not good for us either.  I'd keep an eye on that.

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 12:40:04 am »
I have a Marquis Euphora that is 2 month's old. I have only used Soft Soak and I don't have much of any smell other than maybe clean smell. We have had about 12 different people take a soak with us through out the past 2 months and no one ever said anything about a smell of any kind. Maybe your dealer would stop by and inspect it for you.

ABQBeth

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 10:13:17 pm »
Another month later, and the smell is the same.  I should add that it only smells when the jets are running.  This is more than "new car smell", when the jets are running, the smell is so strong that it makes every choke who is using the tub.  Also, today I had a jet "pop out".  I'm going to have the dealer come and take a look.  The manager at the dealership tried to tell me it was all in my head, however, several people have sat in the tub and all have commented on how strong the smell is when the gets are running.  It's not the soft soak, as the water itself smells very clean and nice.

Jordy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 01:50:03 am »
Something's wrong, get the dealer out to your place.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 09:18:30 am »
I agree, something seems to be amiss here. Call your dealer to investigate this smell. A new tub can offgas but once filled and running that should dissipate fairly quickly if your sense of smell is sensitive.

What you describe here is not offgassing but something else.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 11:14:53 am »
Something's wrong, get the dealer out to your place.

It sounds like it is probably in an air line.  I don't know how they glue together the joints, an epoxy perhaps? if not mixed right, one joint may not have set, or a dab got dropped inside a line.   Just as a wild hunch, move your diverters around and see if you can eliminate it or perhaps concentrate it.  Do you have more than one pump?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Snuggles

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 02:18:37 pm »
Beth, are you using ozone with your soft soak chems? I've heard of others having serious issues with ozone and Baqua. I'm not sure if Soft Soak is the same. From what I've gathered from the web it's hydrogen peroxide based. Follow this link for the MSDS on Soft soak shock print it out and show it to your dealer. http://www.bioguard.com/msds/docs/143006.pdf

Something is definitely not right.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 02:18:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42