What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leisure Time OZ Shock?  (Read 5319 times)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Leisure Time OZ Shock?
« on: August 21, 2004, 12:25:58 am »
We're a week into our new spa and am still trying to figure out the best chemicals to use.  Our dealer told us we should use Leisure Time OZ to shock our spa as we have an ozonator.

The cost was around $18 from the dealer (although I see it for around $15 online).  You are supposed to use 1.5oz for up to 250 gallons.  We're using 3 oz to shock.  That means that you only get about 9 shocks out of that one container.  (about $2 a shock)

Does this seem high?  I was looking at another Chlorine-Free shock online and it says to use 2oz per 500 gallons and it's only $7 for 1 lb.  That ends up being 8 shocks for $7.

Guess my question is... Are other people out there with ozonators using this shock that is specifically designed for ozonated spas?  Or, will a regular chlorine-free shock work just as well?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Leisure Time OZ Shock?
« on: August 21, 2004, 12:25:58 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Leisure Time OZ Shock?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 08:09:23 pm »
Oz is LeisureTime Renew in tablet form.  It is non chlorine shock with a buffer to make it pH neutral.  The Oz tabs give some fizzing, but I couldn't tell you what that does.  You can use any non chlorine shock for spas or use dichlor at a shock dose.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 09:00:42 am »
bulmer,
I suggest using dichlor for shock.  Less TDS, allows for superchlorination and is the most cost efficient.  My philosophy is the fewer different chems you add to your water, the better.  Sticking with dichlor for shock is one less different chem you have to buy and add.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

UnderTheStars

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 11:46:14 am »
Hmmm. . .I didn't realize using Chlorine to sanitize and a non-chlorine shock would increase the TDS.  I've been using Leisure Time Spa 56 (chlorine) to sanitize and "Renew" to shock - just 'cause it came with my tub.  When the Renew runs out I may not replace.

Am I correct to assume that Spa 56 (active ingredient = Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione Dihydrate) is the same thing as Dichlor?  Or is it something slightly different than "true Dichlor?"

Back to the TDS based on different chems approach - Do I really need all this other stuff?  I'm using "Spa Perfect," "Spa Defender,"  "Spa Brite 'n Clear,"  & "Scum Gone" . . . again, just because it all came with the tub.  Do I really need all these products or are they just "add-on sales,"  "repeat sales?"

(Sorry Bulmer4nc!  not trying to hijack your thread; but I think this is all related.)
Stars

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 12:15:12 pm »

(Sorry Bulmer4nc!  not trying to hijack your thread; but I think this is all related.)
Stars

I agree. As a newbie whose head is spinning with all these options, it would be nice to have some consensus, even if it included a couple of different paths.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 12:16:29 pm »
bulmer,
I suggest using dichlor for shock.  Less TDS, allows for superchlorination and is the most cost efficient.  My philosophy is the fewer different chems you add to your water, the better.  Sticking with dichlor for shock is one less different chem you have to buy and add.
 8)

We are using Bromine as a sanitizer so I don't think that I can use dichlor to shock.  Is this true?
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 07:11:27 pm »
UndertheStars, yes...Spa 56 is Leisure Time's dichlor.  I use that for my shock, once weekly with 3TBL and daily with 1TBL. Its working great for us.

I also got all that stuff with my tub in a Chlorine starter kit, but I'm going with the KISS (keep it simple, stooge) method.  We changed our water after 4wks cuz it was milky and excessively foamy with pumps running (I didnt know you dont have to add Velvet touch or liquid scents EACH TUB USE! and we went a little crazy with the Foam Down) so I think we made our TDS high in that first month.

But now that we've refilled, I'm only adding 2oz Spa Defender weekly, dichlor daily and every other week 2oz ScumGon. Thats it.  The water looks great, still very clear even with pumps on.  You might want to try and leave some of those chems off your weekly routine and see you really need them.  That Bright N Clear stuff always gave us a foaming problem, so I stopped that after 1-2doses.  And a few times, ScumGon made the water cloudy for a day.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 07:32:23 pm »
Bright and Clear, like Foam Down should only be used when absolutely necessary.  Sometimes when your water just doesn't have that polished look, Bright and Clear will do the trick.  It will help filter out tiny particles.  It is true that too much use will give foam problems.  My original bottle is two years old and still half full, but it is worth having around IMO.

There doesn't seem to be a perfect shock.  Dichlor is cost effective, superchlorinates and does not add to TDS.  But it runs your CYA sky high and high CYA lowers the sanifizing power of chlorine.  My water at just about four months had way over 100 CYA.  Anything over 40, you have to raise your chlorine level to get the same kill rate.  Add more dichlor and raise your CYA.  Its like a dog chasing its tail.  TDS may be less of an issue than CYA.  I have always used dichlor to shock, but I am rethinking my position.

BTW, you can use dichlor to shock a bromine spa.  I suggest continued use of Spa Defender.  It is good insurance for your equipment.  Scum Gon is optional.  I used to use it, then stopped.  I am going back to it because I like what it did to the water.  Spa Perfect and Scum Gon together seem redundant.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 08:40:42 pm »
UTS,
I only use what I have to use (chemical-wise)--dichlor, sodium carbonate (pH up), sodium bicarbonate (pH and TA up), sodium bisulfate (pH and TA down), defoamer mixed 50/50 with water in a spritz bottle for foam ONLY AS NEEDED.  I also have ozone, minerals (Master Spa's Eco Pur filters) and magnets.  Fortunately, my CH is good out of the tap.  The other chems you mentioned should be considered on an as needed basis or possibly not at all.  Like Calico says, KISS.  BTW, I've chosen to take a little extra CYA as opposed to a LOT of TDS by using dichlor over MPS--and dichlor is cheaper and 1 less chem I have to stock.....
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 10:14:14 am »
My 'spa supply cabinet' gets full of stuff from time to time, but I generally only have:

Test strips
Spa Down
Dichlor
Foam Down.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 10:14:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42