What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa cover protector  (Read 4104 times)

Beck0101

Spa cover protector
« on: November 06, 2016, 07:18:31 am »
Greetings all.  New BF A8L owner here.  This site was very helpful in my research leading up to the purchase.  Thank you!!!

Now that my tub is sitting on my deck I'm afraid I need to do something with the color of the cover.  Between composite decking and railings and now the tub I'm afraid I have about one too many browns happening back there.

I found a site called Nashville Spa Covers.  Currently I'm leaning towards a spa protector to put over the cover.  Black would be perfect and would make my brown problems go away.  I also figure another cover over the cover can't hurt anything and should help prolong the life of the real cover.

Anyone have any experience with these types of covers or even this company specifically? I'd love to hear anybodies thought on this.  Thanks for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa cover protector
« on: November 06, 2016, 07:18:31 am »

Beck0101

Re: Spa cover protector
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:09:35 am »
Well not a lot of action on this site with regards to spa cover covers.  I'll be ordering up a Nashville cover sometime this weekend.  Seems like a no-brainer if I can extend the life of my cover and make it look "better" for $115.  If I can get a few extra years with the cover I'll break even...

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:16:15 am »
I think they are a good idea. $115 isn't much of a gamble. I have a few of them I use at fairs and tent sales that castle spa covers made for me. I think that's about what I paid for them a couple years ago. They've held up decently and taken a lot of abuse so I think as a homeowner it should last a while

JacuzziJack

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:45:12 am »
Just check from time to time that excess moisture or condensation isn't forming under there. Some of them allow a little dirt through, which is ok, but may need to hose the top off from time to time. On windy days if the outer cover is wiggling around, dirt under the top could be abrasive and goof up the shine on the vinyl if it was really bad.

If you want a black cover, an option would be to check with the cover mfgr (or whoever B/F contracts out with to make their covers ...it could be Sunstar), and buy a replacement cover w/o the foam inserts, and install your inserts into the new cover. Be absolutely sure you don't nick a hole in the plastic when you transfer them over ..and inspect that there aren't any holes in the plastic covering whatsoever. Truthfully, it would probably make more sense to wait a couple years once yours has started to fade ....and if you really want to go over the top, put new plastic around the foam inserts because once that plastic becomes permeated, then the covers get heavy and then the weight breaks the rest of the stitching and busts up your lifting mechanism. New covers w/o the foam are usually about $200 shipped ....vs $450 shipped for a good one WITH new foam cores. It's a lot less expensive to ship a cover w/o the foam. Another thing, dark vinyl covers (Dk Brn and Blk) tend to fade faster. They say to spray the top with like 303 or another good silicon-free vinyl protectant and that extends the life, but lighter colored tops tend to not oxidize as fast. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 02:35:33 pm »
They say to spray the top with like 303 or another good silicon-free vinyl protectant and that extends the life, but lighter colored tops tend to not oxidize as fast.

Petroleum free silicon protectant.
Retired

Beck0101

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 11:12:29 am »
I've already 303'd the tub cover and will do the same with the cover cover when it arrives.  I'm a big fan of the 3M products....

guardrail22

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:58:49 pm »
Part of the issue is BF doesn’t slope their covers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:58:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42