What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tubs at KOAs ** UPDATE at End **  (Read 5630 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Hot Tubs at KOAs ** UPDATE at End **
« on: October 28, 2004, 01:48:17 am »
Hi All:

Sorry I haven’t been posting much lately (maybe that's not ALL bad? :P), but I’ve been on vacation!  We’re pulling into the Staunton, Virginia KOA on Friday night and heading up to the Peaks of Otter on Saturday via the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Fall color has peaked in the Appalachians.

Check out the hot tubs at the Staunton KOA:

A very relaxed…

Drewski

8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 01:56:03 pm by Drewski »
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tubs at KOAs ** UPDATE at End **
« on: October 28, 2004, 01:48:17 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Hot Tubs at KOAs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 01:53:36 am »
That's cool. Would be totally illegal in CA, but cool.

Have a nice time!!
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 06:25:45 am »
wow!  KOA has come along way.

Have a good trip.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 08:33:15 am »

Hey Chas,  enlighten us on what sounds like the illegalities of public hot tubs in CA.....
Thanks....
BTW, you got any spots for a singer and "rhythm keyboard" player in your new bannd? 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 08:33:39 am »

Have a nice time!!

Why illegal in CA?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 08:44:03 am »
We’re pulling into the Staunton, Virginia KOA on Friday night and heading up to the Peaks of Otter on Saturday via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Yo Drewmeister,
There's a summer camp at Peaks of Otter that my parents would send me to for a week as a kid......what a beautiful place!  I'm envious of your trip!
BTW, about 25 of us from our windsurfing club frequent the KOA in Fiesta Key for a week every Feb.  They have a couple of concrete hot tubs that are great for jumping in after a windsurfing session--wet suits and all!  Plus they have a large, heated swimming pool.  It's so nice to enjoy the comfort of t-shirt, shorts and sandals in the middle of winter.....even if it's only for a week.  8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 11:23:24 am »

Why illegal in CA?

Let me take a stab; no safety handrail, no depth markers, exposed filter, no HS logo ;)(sorry had to throw that in) in addition to most things being illegal in CA.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 11:42:33 am »
Forget about the legalities. I'm not going in if Frank and Betty used it after camping out a week in their pup tent.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 11:54:50 am »
Forget about the legalities. I'm not going in if Frank and Betty used it after camping out a week in their pup tent.

But aren't all public hot tubs well maintained and tested regularly.........

...........hold on, thats only in a "perfect world"
Homeworks Financing Representative

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 11:56:49 am »
Hey Chas,  enlighten us on what sounds like the illegalities of public hot tubs in CA.....
Thanks....

Stuart nailed it: rails, depth markers, NSF-approved filtration, chlorine injection constantly during open hours, balanced suction from skimmer and bottom drains with a float valve to keep air out of the system if the water level drops, a deck next to the spa with evenly-spaced stair steps leading up to the deck AND down into the spa... little things like that.  I took out a brand-new Sundance from a health spa in town beacues of all the above AND not enough headroom over the top of the spa. Ventilation in the area, GFI-protected lighting, signs - California may be the land of fruit and nuts, but the lawmakers are never bored.
BTW, you got any spots for a singer and "rhythm keyboard" player in your new bannd? 8)
Sure! Have your machine call my machine - we'll do lunch.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Drewski

Re: Hot Tubs at KOAs ** UPDATE at End **
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 02:07:37 pm »
Hi All:

Well, hot tubbing at the KOA just didn't cut it.  They had 4 Emerald spas that were so old I don't think you could buy parts for them.  When we turned them on, about 6" of foam formed on the surface, but would disappear immediately when the tub shut off.  Using my handy test strip, I checked the water.  I've never seen a test strip turn so dark purple that it was almost black!

Needless to say, the kids didn't care.  Uncle Drew would have been in serious dodo if we didn't get in.  So, I suffered through 1 hour of high sanitizer followed by a relaxing shower.  The 4 kids with me just didn't care.  On the bright side, my leg hair is now blonde!

I offered the KOA manager some advice on water maintenance, but, predictably, he looked at me rather blankly.

The KOA experience was a bad one, but 4 days later I was in Keystone, Colorado and had some great tub time at a ski lodge.  I'll post more on this soon, along with pictures.

Drewski

:P

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 02:58:40 pm »

I've not done a great deal of traveling since we bought our hot tub, but I'd almost consider taking along my test kit the next time I do.   Just south of me is Hocking County, Ohio which according to the tourism board has more hot tubs percapita than anywhere else in the world. That is because it is remote, rural, and a tourist destination with few full time residents. There literally are hundreds of private cabins with hot tubs and they charge enough for these retreat rentals to easily justify daily testing, adjusting and frequent water changes.  So I wouldn't feel too hesitant most time to use these. Perhaps now that I have been an owner for 18 months I feel I could spot some water problems quickly. Maybe I will take my test kit along the next time.  Of course KOA doesn't charge the same luxury rates as these places so maintenance might be left up to Bubba once it turns green.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 03:01:19 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 03:19:29 am »
BUMP... by OP. Almost 13 years later. Where did that time go? Going back to this same campground in 2 weeks, just happened to come across this post.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 03:19:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42