What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My Search is Beginning.  HELP!!!!!  (Read 3196 times)

jayslater

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
My Search is Beginning.  HELP!!!!!
« on: August 11, 2004, 01:59:47 pm »
I just found this forum and I know this must have been discussed a million times before, but here goes:  I have a desire to purchase a hot tub.  I live in the Mid Atlantic, plan to put it outside, would only need something for "soaking" and never more than 3 or 4 persons at a time.  Can I get something for under $3000 ????  What should I look for and what should I avoid????  I don't need any bells and whistles.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Jay

Hot Tub Forum

My Search is Beginning.  HELP!!!!!
« on: August 11, 2004, 01:59:47 pm »

spaguyohio

Re: My Search is Beginning.  HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 02:37:01 pm »
Ive seen 110v spas for that range. Im sure someone sells something that cheap - check Sams, Costco, etc but good luck getting it serviced if need be.

Question is ... Would you rather by an inferior built tub and have it cost more to run and maintain, then to spend a bit more and get a good quality tub that will be more beneficial to you and more importantly your wallet?

zzaphod42

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 04:15:55 pm »
I just found this forum and I know this must have been discussed a million times before, but here goes:  I have a desire to purchase a hot tub.  I live in the Mid Atlantic, plan to put it outside, would only need something for "soaking" and never more than 3 or 4 persons at a time.  Can I get something for under $3000 ????  What should I look for and what should I avoid????  I don't need any bells and whistles.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Jay

Try going to a couple of dealers in your area and ask them the same question. You will probably be steered towards small round models which are probably fine for what you are looking for. Keep in mind the cost for foundation which varies depending on what you choose and the electrical costs which are $600 - $700 up here in the Great White North.

Joe

UnderTheStars

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 05:40:58 pm »
Yep, what Zzaphod42 said - Spend a Saturday, go "kick tires" and let a couple dealers tell you what they have in dif. price ranges and what features/quality you are looking at.  Hey, it's a lot of fun going to the spa store, window shop, stick your hand in the water & feel the jets, etc!

When you get home use the search function (here) for brands you looked at and you'll likely find posts with plenty of opinions and some good info.  Finally, keep asking questions here!
Good luck, have fun and welcome aboard

jayslater

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 09:19:26 pm »
Thanks so far for the good advice.  While searching around today I came across a "Stamina" made by Hydro Spa.  Does anyone have any comments on either the model or the manufacturer.  Thanks.  Jay

SpaGirl

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 09:09:55 am »
WOW, same situation here Jayslater,

I can't find that company in the yellow pages, are they a nation wide company?

spaguyohio

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 09:25:47 am »
Hydrospa is a fla based company. I would put them as a low to mid range spa, defintely not in the same league as Master Spa, Jacuzzi Premium, Hot Springs, Beachcomber, Marqui, etc.  Hydro is sold all over the US. Ive seen a few of their models at local spa shows, and the look "ok." Nothing that said "now this is exciting."

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 10:44:48 am »
Hi Jayslater:

For the budget your setting, I recommend buying "used."  I live in Virginia Beach and both the local paper and "Trading Post" paper have dozens of ads for name brand tubs.  With the large amount of military in the area, transfers are common and people aren't always hot (pardon the pun) about moving their tubs.

If you get a used tub, get a national brand (plenty are mentioned in this forum) that a LOCAL firm can service.  I'd recommend a tub between 3 and 5 years old at the MOST.  You should expect to pay between 30 and 60% of the original purchase price, unless the tub was used very little and is practically new.  Act quick on new ads, the best tubs go fast.

Try to get a tub with a "good" digital control pack such as Gecko or Balboa, a FULLY functioning control panel, a "no fault" heater, diverting valves that turn easily and work well, jets that spin properly when in use, a shell without cracks or dings and a cover in reasonable shape.

Even though you wouldn't know it by reading this forum, there are a lot of idiots out there who buy a spa and NEVER use it.  Sooner or later they sell it.  GOOD deals can always be found.

If your handy, there are numerous on-line parts dealers that sell replacement stuff.  Although it CAN be tricky, with a little learning and practice you can fix just about anything in your spa.  Most local dealers will also service your tub, even if you didn't buy it from them, for a price.

I've known a number of people who bought the "Home Depot special" for $2,999 and then came and soaked in my tub.  They still come over all the time.  Don't shell out the money for something you won't be happy with.

Remember, everyone has an OPINION.  This one happens to be mine...

Good luck with looking!

:D
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 12:01:35 pm »
Hi Jayslater:

For the budget your setting, I recommend buying "used."
Even though you wouldn't know it by reading this forum, there are a lot of idiots out there who buy a spa and NEVER use it.  Sooner or later they sell it.  GOOD deals can always be found.

Drewski,

Very interesting post. I've don't think much has been said about buying used spas, but you  made some points I haven't heard before that sound reasonable. I'll bet your right about underused tubs. I've known a lot of people who don't use them after the novelty wears out.  I'm sure there is a lot of junk out there in the used market but that was a good post about finding the cream of the crop.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 12:01:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42