What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tiger River Caspian vs Hot Spring Vanguard  (Read 5175 times)

oconnocy

Tiger River Caspian vs Hot Spring Vanguard
« on: August 03, 2004, 04:17:03 pm »
Please Help! -  Comparison Tiger River  Caspian vs Hot Spring Vanguard… Vanguard worth the extra 1500+?

Hi, I have been following this forum for months – getting close to a decision and would like some feedback.  
Comparing Caspian vs. Vanguard, considering that they are both made by Watkins…Setting aside the cosmetic differences – Caspian: only available in redwood shell, no pearl interior, no multiple color lighting, no water fall features ( Vanguard has all these).  

Below is the  mechanical “differences” that I can ID from the literature between the 2 models –  are they substantial enough to impact the performance?  .
Caspian vs. Vanguard:
Heater 4000w No-Fault vs.   Heater 6000w No-Fault

Jet pumps wavemaster 8000 (2.0 HP Continuous)  3.9 HP Breakdown torque  vs  Wavemaster 9000 (2.5HP Continuous w 4.8 HP Breakdown torque.

Filtration:
65 sqft top loading  vs  120sqft top loading w 100% no bypass

Caspian owners feel free to give me your thoughts – pros and cons, since you’ve owned this unit….Thank you in advance for your feedback
???

Hot Tub Forum

Tiger River Caspian vs Hot Spring Vanguard
« on: August 03, 2004, 04:17:03 pm »

Chris_H

Re: Tiger River Caspian vs Hot Spring Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 04:25:10 pm »
Yes, the Vanguard is worth the extra $1,500.  The heater is better, the massages are better, the lighting is better, the cabinet is better, the warranty is better, and in my opinion the most important part, the filtration, is substantially better.  All of those things add up to over a $1,500 dollar value.  Plus you get to tell your friends you have a Hotspring in pearl and gray, and bragging about that is priceless.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 05:31:09 pm »
You show you understand why there is a price difference and now you have to decide if its what you want. The only point I would add is this is a purchase that is meant to last past 10 years so get what is best for you as if you settle for less (or conversely if you get more than you truly want) you may regret it down the line.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

msdsman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:33:39 pm »
Caspian owner here, the spa has only been for 2 weeks though.

I really didnt look at the Vanguard so cant provide any insight there.

What I can say about the Caspian so far is that, I love it. It has all the features we were looking for and needed. The biggest priority for us was the seating arrangement. We were really just interested in a good performing tubs w/o all the bells and whistles. Also, the color of the shell and cabinet really worked well with the brick work on the house and patio.

As far as the heater, pumps and filteration all seem to be working great so far. Plenty of jet power, heats up quick and the water is clear and clean.

Hope this post is useful.......

lynnette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 07:38:23 am »
We also just purchased the Caspian 2004 model.  It is great, lots of room, jet power is wonderful.  Only problem it has been to warm in Michigan to really enjoy our spa yet, but that will change sooner than we want.  Good luck, you won't be sorry getting the Caspian.  Lynnette  :D

UnderTheStars

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 08:12:30 pm »
Hi Oconnocy!  Not much experience yet but I've been in my new Vanguard since Thursday.  (Ok, only the fifth day but I've been in it 4 times a day!)

For me the Vanguard was def. worth the price difference.  We bought the pearl "with lights" and it's pretty awsome after dark.  The color change light has a 4 position dimmer so you can "dial down" and clearly see the stars with the changing color "glow" underneath you.

I agree w/Chris H. that the filtration is probably the biggest feature.  I didn't realize how great until this weekend.  Because  100% of the H2-0 is filtered when the jets are running, any leaves (we have fir trees w/tiny needles) that blow into the tub are INSTANTLY swept into the filter compartment and contained.   With by-pass when the jets are on, any junk in the tub just keeps swirling around.  That made me think about the stuff I can't see like body grime, oil, etc.  . . .  I think the filtration is a HUGE advantage.

I've never been in the TR so I can't compare but I can tell you the Vanguard heater is quick.  I can only guess but I think it will be pretty significant this winter (I think I'll be able to stay in the tub longer  8)

We asked our HS dealer about the TR, considered it, but went for the Vanguard.  That said, have a good friend in another state - we had this same conversation and she bought a Caspian. . .and is thrilled with it.  Both good tubs, ya just can't lose!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 08:12:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42