What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Vanto  (Read 5328 times)

lovejoyland

Caldera Vanto
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:20:35 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I went to the Caldera dealers, and liked the Vanto. It seems like a good fit for our needs, but the only spa they have available to wet test is the Martinique. Is this something I should be concerned about? Also, I've now read on this site that it has a wooden base. Is this true? If so, should I be concerned? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so there's no extreme weather, but there are rats and other rodents, and I'm just not sure how concerned I should be about this. The price quote without negotiating was $6200 for the tub and cover only, although the dealer did say he would beat any other dealers price. Also, the dealer said the tub circulates automatically twice a day for about 20 minutes to clean the water. Is this true? I've read about other tubs that circulate loudly for much more time than that so I wanted to fact check it here since the dealer also said all their tubs were made in Vista, CA but I've now read they are actually manufactured in Mexico.

Thanks for your help!
Vanessa

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Vanto
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:20:35 pm »

bud16415

Re: Caldera Vanto
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:28:40 pm »
Here is the side by side comparison.

http://www.calderaspas.com/planning-tools/compare-spa-models#martinique

The base of the tub is different the Martinique has a poly sheet whereas my Geneva has what they call a base pan and that is pretty tough and rodent proof. The Vanto is listed as a visquene sheet. That I believe is like a heavy rolled up plastic sheet they would just staple over the wood base. IMO that would be less protection and I could even see it getting damaged when they install the tub as mine there was a lot of sliding involved. I’m not sure what the poly sheet is or how tough it is. Good questions to ask though.

As to Mexico I was told they moved their shell making to Mexico because of regulations and the type of hotter reacting glass they spray the tub with. I read and have been told the hotter process makes a better bond between the acrylic and the glass but gives off more gas in the process. The west coast states have outlawed it. For what that’s worth. You can research it more if you like.

I did my own install of my Caldera Geneva that being one step up from the Martinique and two from the Vanto, and I was not overly impressed with the wood construction. I was expecting for what I paid at least pressure treated wood but it just looked to me to be regular framing wood painted black. If I was buying one again I would ask for the equipment side panel to be removed so I could look under the hood. I was surprised everyplace I went none showed off the insides. And you know they had the panel off because they are powered up. Instead they show you pictures of the inside when you ask questions.

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 04:11:13 pm »
What is the price difference? With the Martinique you do jump up in warranty and some other differences as stated above

As far as Mexico is concerned, the entire tub is built in Mexico, not just the shell..Watkins (makers of Hot Spring, Limelight, Caldera, Freeflow)from what I've heard is actually expanding down there as well (most likely to move their Highlife collection manufacturing which are the only 8-9 models still made in the USA) They are probably collectively crossing their fingers Trump does not impose a new tariff on imported goods coming out of Mexico.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:13:54 pm »
What is the price difference? With the Martinique you do jump up in warranty and some other differences as stated above

As far as Mexico is concerned, the entire tub is built in Mexico, not just the shell..Watkins (makers of Hot Spring, Limelight, Caldera, Freeflow)from what I've heard is actually expanding down there as well (most likely to move their Highlife collection manufacturing which are the only 8-9 models still made in the USA) They are probably collectively crossing their fingers Trump does not impose a new tariff on imported goods coming out of Mexico.

They are expanding.  Free flow is still made in Vista as well. There is a noticeable difference in performance between the Martinique and the vanto though they are two tubs not really worth comparing. Different sizes, one with a lounge the other without and different jetting. Wet testing the Martinique won't be any comparison to wet testing the vanto. Both are good tubs. Does he have a vanto in stock?  If so ask him to fill that one up for you. For th money the vanto is good bang for your buck

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:32:36 pm »

I already consider them overpriced. But I also consider the highlife series to be there best built. Way to go USA.....seeya Watkins if they do move them. They made their fortune, time to retire.
Retired

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 03:16:24 am »
It's interesting that 3 brands I hear about being more prevalent in the marketplace today (and gaining market share) are all American factories; Marquis, Bullfrog, Artesian

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:27 am »
It's interesting that 3 brands I hear about being more prevalent in the marketplace today (and gaining market share) are all American factories; Marquis, Bullfrog, Artesian

Gaining market share yes, but I think if you put those three together they still may not have as much market as Watkins.
Retired

MarKee

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 01:49:11 am »
You're probably right Tmam, but I bet it would be close!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 01:49:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42