What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Smooth Acrylic or textured shell?  (Read 5076 times)

jrambonnet

Smooth Acrylic or textured shell?
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:10:00 am »
I currently own an 8 year old Hot Spring Jetsetter spa with the textured shell.  I am looking at the new Highlife NXT series to replace it and love the look of the Alpine White acrylic option but am concerned about scratches and more importantly staining and maintenance.  The texture finish of my current spa has been pretty easy to care for but I don't have a clue about the smooth, shiny shells.  Just don't want to make the wrong choice.

Hot Tub Forum

Smooth Acrylic or textured shell?
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:10:00 am »

jrambonnet

Re: Smooth Acrylic or textured shell?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:39:02 pm »
Anyone?  Your feedback/experience would be appreciated.

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:14:28 am »
I asked a similar question not long ago. We have and love the smooth slick white finish. The lights change the water color very vivid and cleaning it is pretty easy as you feel it right away if anything is building up. Quick once over with the microfiber cloth and it is like new. I personally think all the texture does is give a surface to start something growing on. Like a concrete pool almost. Some said they didn’t like the smooth surface for safety reasons but we haven’t had problems with smooth. Against bare skin the smooth surface feels nice.

Bottom line was that like the color it is a personal thing.   

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:27:26 am »
I cannot say you'll notice a difference, regardless of what you decide, in a shell.  Usually its used at night, usually you have your LED lighting going, and there is no tangible difference in "safety." 

Not trying to be dismissive.  Just not a big deal overall.

jrambonnet

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:39:13 am »
Thanks!!!

Should I be concerned about the white acrylic staining?

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:50:35 am »
Aristech and Lucite are the two major manufacturers of acrylic shells.  I carry brands that deal in both and I have never seen a stain. 

Yes- You can get scum lines but that is just build-up.

And I guess after further review that I do need to amend my previous answer:  Aristech carried a color called Tourmaline Blue that would scratch very easily, but I believe its been discontinued.  They have Mayan Copper now and its a looker but I got one spa in and it was very similar to the Tourmaline Blue in that it would scratch easier so I never brought another one in. 

Currently, I have not noticed any issues with Lucite colors. 

If you really, really dived down into the nittygritty- Yes:  Textured would probably be the most industrious.  But in a showroom when you have people jumping in and out of spas, not in bathing suits, and with shoes on, it takes a long time to really see something that might just possibly be something that maybe someone would have an issue with. 

Your personal spa wont develop that sort of wear and tear.

EDIT:  Spelling

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 06:22:46 pm »
Thanks!!!

Should I be concerned about the white acrylic staining?

For sure you should put your skin against each under water. You will never truly know which feels the best to you unless you do. I don't think cleaning should be as highly considered since they will both need proper cleaning and care.

Sometimes I get on a roll and feel so helpful.
Retired

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 10:25:39 am »
We have had our acrylic white smooth surface for a year and only had one case of staining and it was my fault. I built a covered pergola over ours and it has a corrugated steel roof. I must have got some tiny steel chips on the deck from drilling the panels and a few of them were transferred into the tub and rusted quickly leaving a small reddish spot. I had to work at the spot for a bit with the magic eraser to get them off. Normal usage nothing seems to stain it at all.

I have no scientific proof that a smooth surface is easier to clean or holds less scum. But I can tell you that you notice any scum on it much sooner. Our good friend has a texture surface and I ask him if he wipes it down weekly and he said he never does unless he drains it then he cleans it with a cleaner. I can tell his color has changed over time and I think it is a buildup that won’t now come off. I wont say his tub is dirty or that it at all affects the usage just that it lost it’s new tub look. I can defiantly feel the difference in texture to the touch when moving around in the tub. People have commented on ours once in how smooth the surface feels.

All the tubs I had been in my whole life going back many years were mostly blue or darker colors with swirls in them. I find the white tub when your water is crystal clear looks like nothing else. If the water is anything less than perfect it lets you know quicker with a white tub.       

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 11:07:19 am »
Smooth finishes are great as long as you stay away from the darker colours as they will show every little scratch and water line so you will find yourself constantly cleaning it.

tlippy

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:31:32 am »
Does Smooth Acrylic have a tendency to delam or bubble more so than a textured shell?  My dealer said he has 4 Bullfrogs which are having one of these problems whereas he said he as never had a problem like this on my Nordic textured shell.  Just wondering if the smooth finish is in layers and the textured is solid?

bud16415

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 12:05:43 pm »
Does Smooth Acrylic have a tendency to delam or bubble more so than a textured shell?  My dealer said he has 4 Bullfrogs which are having one of these problems whereas he said he as never had a problem like this on my Nordic textured shell.  Just wondering if the smooth finish is in layers and the textured is solid?

As far as I know all smooth finished tubs start with a sheet of acrylic that is heated and vacuum formed into the shape of the tub then the fiberglass is shot onto it from the back / inside. As the acrylic starts as one sheet I don’t see it delaminating. It could come loose from the glass. I read some reports where the USA or California banned the hotter curing glass and some of it was moved to Mexico and the colder process had more issues. You can dig around with Google and maybe find some stuff.

The texture I’m not sure what the process is.   

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:11:13 pm »
you will have delam issues only if fibreglass is not hand rolled after glass application.Reson for hand rolling afterwards is to rid of any air pockets between acrylic and glass as that would be opening the chance for delam to happen if air pockets develop when applying glass to acrylic.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:11:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42