What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine Levels  (Read 3056 times)

Pjjwilliamson@gmail.com

Bromine Levels
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:05:24 pm »
I have an old Marquis Spa - purchased in 1996.  I have started having trouble maintaining bromine levels. I use spa boss bromine tablets in a floating dispenser with it opened enough to see two tablets. When adding new water I use a package of spa boss bromine booster.  Weekly I use Spa Boss shock.  Last time I emptied the tub I used a product that is supposed to clean the lines.

When I shock the tub with the recommended amount of spa boss shock the bromine level immediately rises to an acceptable level. Even if I do not use the tub in a day or two if I test the spa there is no bromine level showing on the test strip. If I shock the tub the bromine level shoots back up to an acceptable level. I wait at least 30 min after shocking before testing. At all times the ph and alkalinity reading are good and water is clear. I cannot figure why I cannot maintain an acceptable bromine level without shocking the water. Is there any chance the plumbing so old it is absorbing the bromine or is breaking down casusing the bromine to be used up. This problem has been going on for 12 months. I have tried all the suggestions from 3 different pool/spa companies in our city but they have not resolved the issue

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine Levels
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:05:24 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Bromine Levels
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 06:03:41 pm »
When you shock it the levels should be over the acceptable level. Shocking should bring the ppm of the bromine to 10 ppm. What are the ingredients of spa boss bromine booster? 

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:13:28 pm »
The plumbing doesn't break down but the spa is 20 years old and it might be time for a replacement soon.  You probably have some Bio-Film build up in the plumbing which is putting a demand on your sanitizer levels.  I would use a purge product like Ahh-Some to do a deep clean on your plumbing.  Ahh-Some can be purchased at some spa stores, but you may need to find it on Amazon.

Pjjwilliamson@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 07:00:22 pm »
I looked into the product sounds like something I should try thanks.

Pjjwilliamson@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 07:02:20 pm »
Thanks for your input I am going to try thr Ahh-some.

dlleno

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 01:37:37 pm »
if you're interested in a long read/story about biofilms and purging, I have written about my own experience here.

boisediesel.com/blog/2016/7/spa-purge

Pjjwilliamson@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 07:19:13 pm »
Thanks I will give it a read. I am circulating ahh-some through the tub as I type this response.

dertl

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 03:11:38 pm »
if you're interested in a long read/story about biofilms and purging, I have written about my own experience here.

boisediesel.com/blog/2016/7/spa-purge

Great read. I appreciate the information. Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 03:11:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42