What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Price History for SD Cameo/Optima  (Read 9388 times)

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
Re: Price History for SD Cameo/Optima
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 05:17:13 pm »
dazed if I was any more relaxed I wouldn't be able to reach the keyboard...

sorry, i couldn't resist, scout had just said he wasn't comfortable giving that info :-*

There is nothing wrong with price research, i'd say you're a fool (or insanely wealthy) if you didn't do it... though I would not be amazed at how many SD dealers you've spoken with.
e

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 05:17:13 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 06:21:29 pm »

I know that it is fairly standard policy to do something nice for a customer to say thanks for purchasing - thank-you card, bottle of wine, gift certificate etc...but in your case D&C you may want to consider getting something for your dealer! Wine, beer, coffee, homemade cookies, stress management, take your pick. ;D ;D ;D

I'm thinking the wine, (large economy size) or a nice bottle of Everclear will be in order once this transaction is complete.  Not that I'm holding my breath.
Brewman
Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2004, 11:28:54 am »
DandC. I guess by now you have more than enough information about prices and tubs and dealers and well.......

Can you simply let us know when you purhase your tub. What brand/product, what you paid for it, how far away, what you got with it, the taxes that you got charged, any gifts or promo that your dealer gave you (or not), and oh yeah what type of delivery (or not) you decided on getting.

Until then it seems to me that anymore from this forum is simply repetition.  Good luck with the purchase.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 09:17:46 am »
According to Sundance dealers outside of my local SD dealer's (who I now lovingly call the "Sundunce Dealer" for his atrocious customer report) territory, Sundance has a policy of not allowing sales in another SD dealer's territory.  This is why I now own a Master Spa instead of a Cameo and, as it turns out, the Master Spa is a better fit though my original first choice was to buy the Cameo from my local dealer.  He wouldn't deal, so I went to a dealer who would...unfortunately 200 miles away (instead of 20 for the "Sundunce" dealer).  I tried to get 2 SD dealers, each within 150 miles of me, to give me prices but they wouldn't quote me since I was not in their territory.  If you were to buy an SD tub outside of your local dealer's territory, that dealer would be in violation of their sales agreement with SD, according to the other SD dealers I canvassed.  Good luck.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 09:39:32 am »
I know what you mean Windsurfdog!  On the business side, it is clever what Sundance has done - create local monopolies!  Charge what they want cause there is no inter-brand competition!!  I personally think it is wrong!  I mean why can't I buy where I want to buy?  Does Honda say you must buy your Civic from your closest Honda dealer?  Of course not!  And there are several Honda dealers near you so you can get competitive prices.

Monopolies are great if you are in business and can circumvent the govt laws - bad if you are a consumer!

c/d

shoemaker

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 09:45:19 am »
According to Sundance dealers outside of my local SD dealer's (who I now lovingly call the "Sundunce Dealer" for his atrocious customer report) territory, Sundance has a policy of not allowing sales in another SD dealer's territory.  This is why I now own a Master Spa instead of a Cameo and, as it turns out, the Master Spa is a better fit though my original first choice was to buy the Cameo from my local dealer.  He wouldn't deal, so I went to a dealer who would...unfortunately 200 miles away (instead of 20 for the "Sundunce" dealer).  I tried to get 2 SD dealers, each within 150 miles of me, to give me prices but they wouldn't quote me since I was not in their territory.  If you were to buy an SD tub outside of your local dealer's territory, that dealer would be in violation of their sales agreement with SD, according to the other SD dealers I canvassed.  Good luck.

Ok..........

Are you saying that I WON"T get a good deal on a Cameo tub? I have been talking to a dealer on this forum and your answer would be very helpful.

Thanks.

kvnlaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 10:04:49 am »
Anti-trust laws would not allow Sundance to have a clause like that in their dealer agreement. More likely there is a gentlemen's agreement between the dealers in the area to not sell into the other's market. Manufacturers can not dictate where you sell but as a dealer you are obligated to service what you sell whether it's around the corner or 300 miles a way. This point has been beaten to death but spa warranties and car warranties are NOT comparable. If your local SD dealer won't give you the price you feel is fair and the guys outside your area won't sell to you buy a different brand. There are plenty of good spas out there.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 12:24:18 pm »
I know what you mean Windsurfdog!  On the business side, it is clever what Sundance has done - create local monopolies!  Charge what they want cause there is no inter-brand competition!!  I personally think it is wrong!  I mean why can't I buy where I want to buy?  Does Honda say you must buy your Civic from your closest Honda dealer?  Of course not!  And there are several Honda dealers near you so you can get competitive prices.

Monopolies are great if you are in business and can circumvent the govt laws - bad if you are a consumer!

c/d

Sounds like the big Cameo deal hasn't been struck yet.  Whatta suprise.

Why don't you report Sundance to whatever government body regulates commerce of this type, and go buy another brand of spa?  
Brewman
Brewman

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 02:54:15 pm »
Actually,
 I feel D/C's pain.  My sundance dealer was charging almost $1k more than Sundance dealers 50-60 miles away.  One far away dealer refused to sell to me because of my location, and one far away dealer said he would sell to me and that there is no specific verbage prohibiting him from selling into another dealer's area.  My original high-priced Sundance dealer actually said "well, if he sells in my territory he won't be a Sundance dealer for long..." or something to that effect.  

There is a thread from a few months ago titled Monopoly that dealt with some of this frustration.

Fortunately, I then wet tested the HS grandee, loved it 10 times better than the optima, and all problems were solved because my local HS dealer wasn't problematic.  :)

If a particular dealer charges more maybe they have extra overhead costs, pay more rent, have more expenses, or some such thing.  If you like the dealer and their service you might pay extra to have it from them.  If you are the kind of person who feels that 10-20% difference is a deal breaker there are other manufacturers out there.

For me a 2003 HS grandee was cheaper and more comfortable than a 2003 Sundance optima.  If you shop around and nothing feels nicer, save for an extra few months.

-Ed

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2004, 05:37:24 pm »

Ok..........

Are you saying that I WON"T get a good deal on a Cameo tub? I have been talking to a dealer on this forum and your answer would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Nope, Shoemaker......I sincerely hope you get at least a fair deal on your tub.  I've seen prices for Cameos from about $7200 to $8900 fully equipped (w/o stereo).  I was willing to go to $8000 but my dealer would only go $8300 without any of the extras (steps, lifter, ozone, led light, extra filters) so I bought the LSX at the price I wanted ($7895) and it had all the extras I mentioned.  And I feel very fortunate that the LSX has now become my first choice.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2004, 12:57:39 pm »
Yeah, UH you know what, you are wrong. The manufacturer will pull a dealers discounts if it feels the dealer is encroaching on another dealers "territoy." One of the reasons I am no longer doing business with Jacuzzi Premium. No one is going to tell me or my company how much and where to sell my products. Like it or lump it. There are some interesting things going on in my market.

Anti-trust laws would not allow Sundance to have a clause like that in their dealer agreement. More likely there is a gentlemen's agreement between the dealers in the area to not sell into the other's market. Manufacturers can not dictate where you sell but as a dealer you are obligated to service what you sell whether it's around the corner or 300 miles a way. This point has been beaten to death but spa warranties and car warranties are NOT comparable. If your local SD dealer won't give you the price you feel is fair and the guys outside your area won't sell to you buy a different brand. There are plenty of good spas out there.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

SunshyneGyrl

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 03:03:34 am »
I have been meaning to comment on this topic to DandC for a week now and just getting around to it.  My bestfriend is a owner of a furniture store and she pays different prices on the same pieces of furniture depending when and how many pieces she buys.  So I asked my dealer (who I have a great relationship with; I own an Optima) if the same applied to the hot tub industry.  He told me that some dealers pay more for tubs then others depending on a number of different things (#of yrs in business, etc.) so not only do you have to take in account overhead costs but how much the dealers pay for the spas as well.  Maybe a dealer on here could explain better.  

P.S. Dazed you are really stressed out over this, support your local dealer and just buy a spa (any) already so you can relax like the rest of us

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 03:03:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42