What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My experience so far  (Read 8417 times)

dlleno

Re: My experience so far
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 01:30:02 pm »
wow I'd say hold on to that friend for life!  that sounds like a materials-only cost figure.  I had a similar project at my house, although I had only 100A service to the home so i had to replace the electric meter with 2x100A breakers -- one servicing the house and the other servicing the sub panel.  I did all the trenching and wire pulling, got the permits and all of that, and coordinated with the power company for the disconnect.    I wired Aluminum from meter to sub panel because the cost of copper was prohibitive.  Copper only from sub panel to spa, under ground and up through the concrete pad where the spa goes. 

I will also add that in addition to we testing, the spa dealer is a vitally important part of the equation.  I'm fortunate to have a very well respected Hot Spring dealer that has been in business 30 ish years with the same owner, and frankly that is why I replaced my old and tired Grandee with a new one back in 2013.  They have a great service department which is another important thing to check out.  They were so good I hired them to transport my spa into storage, where it now awaits my next house!

just one tip -- especially in this hot weather its important to follow the mfg or store's directions on the first startup, which should include a shock.  I won't repeat my experience here except to say that I wish I had done more than i did for my initial start-up. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:32:21 pm by dlleno »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 01:30:02 pm »

richierich

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 05:47:17 pm »
sounds like you got a bargain.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 07:52:36 am »
Well it's the beginning of August and our tub is expected in about a week or so, and this morning the electric work was done. We called the same guy who built our house to do it because he's an honest man and has become a friend of ours over these past 10 years. He had to install a 60 amp breaker in the basement box and run the wire about 30 feet across the ceiling to where the outside GFI box for the tub would be. After that he ran 35 feet of wire through underground conduit to the tub location, leaving 10 feet at the end for adjusting the location. Altogether for 80 feet of wire, the outside GFI box (50 amp),  the inside 60 amp breaker, conduit, and labor for the trenching and electrical work he charged $381.00. I will come back to post when the tub arrives.

The hard part is done, that has to be a relief. Now the fun starts.  Pretty reasonable price for the electric work.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

KillerIsMe

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 10:49:24 am »
So they brought the tub Tuesday and set up the initial chemistry for me - we filled it with well water and had to raise the pH a little, add hardness, and shock it. In addition, we have a fair amount of iron in the water so we added a bottle of a chelating agent which took care of the problem in a day. By Wednesday evening we were in the tub and it's every bit as wonderful as all you folks have said. Unfortunately for me I had a surgery scheduled for Thursday so I won't be able to enjoy it for another 10 days or so but my wife and daughter are taking full advantage of the extra space. I will post a few pictures as soon as I'm up and around again - maybe a few days.

The dealer said the most important consideration for us is to keep the pH in range and so far so good. But the little test strips are subjective at best (I'm a histotechnologist and am familiar with pH strips) and I am wondering if anyone has used a pH meter. I see a few on Amazon that are probably not accurate enough for lab work but for keeping the pH within the 7.2 - 7.8 range I'm sure would be fine. Does anybody use a meter and if so can you suggest one?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 11:10:31 am »
Well it's the beginning of August and our tub is expected in about a week or so, and this morning the electric work was done. We called the same guy who built our house to do it because he's an honest man and has become a friend of ours over these past 10 years. He had to install a 60 amp breaker in the basement box and run the wire about 30 feet across the ceiling to where the outside GFI box for the tub would be. After that he ran 35 feet of wire through underground conduit to the tub location, leaving 10 feet at the end for adjusting the location. Altogether for 80 feet of wire, the outside GFI box (50 amp),  the inside 60 amp breaker, conduit, and labor for the trenching and electrical work he charged $381.00. I will come back to post when the tub arrives.

$381?  Where do you live?  Apparently nobody likes to make any money in that town lol.  He basically charged you about $50 in labor after all the wire and parts he needed

dlleno

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 12:52:01 pm »
Taylor makes great test kits for pools and spas where you can accurately track all important parms.  I have a model 2106 (bromine). 

KillerIsMe

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 10:05:47 am »
Taylor makes great test kits for pools and spas where you can accurately track all important parms.  I have a model 2106 (bromine).

Thank you my Friend. I just ordered that same kit.

dlleno

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 10:49:17 am »
Your welcome.  Love my 2106.  If you're like me when learning the ropes you'll go through reagents fast lol.  I found that I could buy local generic phenol red bur the powder stuff you need to shop around for.  Its expensive but get the large one ☺

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 10:49:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42