What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: White Mold  (Read 3549 times)

Gman1971

White Mold
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:44:17 am »
Hello looking for some hints or advice if anyone has had what they term as white mold. Have had my tub almost a year now and things were going great. Had a birthday party where we had 10 - 10 year olds in the tub.....the following week my water started to get cloudy not sure if it was the results of all the kids or if it was already a problem in the works that balooned after the kids.

My filter started to get clogged with a white sticky substance that had the consistency of tootpaste. The film around the edge of the tub at the water level smears and is very sticky when trying to clean it off. I have added about 4 cups of my chlorine crystals and and leaving the chlorine levels high for a day before I drain it, clean it, and refill.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

White Mold
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:44:17 am »

Sam

Re: White Mold
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 03:42:01 pm »
You should probably follow a decontamination procedure.  Just jacking up the chlorine for a couple of days likely won't be enough.  There should be a post on here somewhere if you search "decontamination".  It involves a few steps to ensure you get rid of everything.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:12:45 pm »
You might want to add purge product before you drain.  Chemically clean or replace filter.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 05:28:39 pm »
The substance you are dealing with does indeed sound like white water mold.  Find a SILVER-based algaecide to remove that.  This is a rare issue but not unheard of.  You must specifically seek out a SILVER-based algaecide tho to completely kill the problem at hand.  Standard algaecides will not work.  The other options put forth by other posters would likely work.  But if the problem persists, seek out the said algaecide and that should remedy the situation in an expedient manner.

Good luck moving forward.

Gman1971

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 06:08:35 pm »
Thanks all for the advice.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:07 am »
Would, or could white mold account for a dry white substance coating the inside of a used pump I bought?

Sam

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 04:15:42 pm »
Would, or could white mold account for a dry white substance coating the inside of a used pump I bought?

That is most likely calcium carbonate build up.

JacuzziJack

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 10:20:18 am »
Thanks for the reply. That's what I initially thought too.

Jack

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 10:20:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42