What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Brown streaks on tub walls?  (Read 3763 times)

bucknut

Brown streaks on tub walls?
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:37:34 pm »
I just recently drained cleaned and refilled my HS tub, pretty much they same way I have for many years now with no issues until now. First some info on my tub, it's a HS Vanguard and I use chlorine to shock and treat, also Nature2 spa stick sanitizer and that's it. My water I use to fill the spa is pretty soft and low in minerals, I test it yearly at Ward Labs and use it for brewing beer. I've never used a filter attached to the garden hose when adding water after a draining. I've always use some type of spa system flush before draining, this year I used SeaKlear. And I always use metal gone when filling back up, then a bottle of ph balance, and a new Nature2 stick.

Now my problem that I'm seeing after the first time draining this year was a black sticky residue around the water line were the foam from spa flush was, and it was extremely hard to remove (several magic erasers). After filling the water was crystal clear but a lot of white flecks floating and also some brown streaks that would accumulate along the high edges in the spa under the water? I could easily wipe the clear, but come back the next couple days and they would be back. I tried raising my chlorine levels, but it didn't seem to help. Took sample of water to be tested and everything look good, except a high phosphate level. I suspected as much since I think I didn't rinse the tub well enough and I had some foaming when starting the spa back up for the first time.

Drained tub rinsed thoroughly and refilled, the white specs/flecks are gone but I still have the brown streaks.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Brown streaks on tub walls?
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:37:34 pm »

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Brown streaks on tub walls?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:42:31 am »
I had an after market Ozonator installed on my old tub years ago and I had this exact problem. Removed the Ozonator and at least my problem went away.

Good luck

bucknut

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 10:59:49 am »
I had an after market Ozonator installed on my old tub years ago and I had this exact problem. Removed the Ozonator and at least my problem went away.

Good luck

Not sure about that, but I may try it. Ozon being a gas and this is a fine particle that seems to be getting by the filters. My guess is iron from the heaters, since this spa has some years on it.

servicebgu, thanks for the attempt at humor but would appreciate some help, but I guess you just couldn't help yourself. 

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:25:57 pm »
No iron in the heater.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:25:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42