What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How do you know if your tub is leaking?  (Read 7406 times)

Letran

How do you know if your tub is leaking?
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:50:14 pm »
I can see the bottom of my tub right now. It is on top of a clean concrete slab right now. The edges seems to be always wet. One side I would even say have a glimmer water.

I opened the pumps side of the tub looks like its all good.

The edge with glimmer is the other side. I have never opened any other sides aside from the panel where the pumps are.

Are edges of concrete slab always wet like this.

Now I can see the bottom of tub, but what happens when I sink this tub on a deck and you can't see the bottom?

Hot Tub Forum

How do you know if your tub is leaking?
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:50:14 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: How do you know if your tub is leaking?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:20:38 pm »
Is the tub losing water at a quick rate? Tubs do lose water but it should not be significant amount in say 1 week.

How high off the ground is the concrete slab? Is it flush with the ground or does it sit 3 inches high?  How wet of an area did you put it in? If you have a sand box then I would think water shouldn't be around but clay - yep.

If you open up your sides - feel the foam to see if it's wet. Shut the tub down, let it sit there for a week and see if it drained itself.

I had a leak as I noticed that I had a wet side on my tub. I also had to add a lot of water (2 to 3 inches) to the tub every few week without anyone using it. Since I kind of knew the side I decided after a very long while to takle it, let the tub drain to it's lowest level so I knew how high to look and it turned out to be a stupid easy repair.

Just a FYI and I believe most people do not think about leaks/repairs but you should be able to get to all 4 sides of the tub and also be able to remove the panels if need be.

Letran

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:42:15 pm »
Is the tub losing water at a quick rate? Tubs do lose water but it should not be significant amount in say 1 week.
Not at all maintain its water week to week no issues, when its mostly covered. Well as far as I can tell. I could say the last 2-3 weeks the water is about the same.

How high off the ground is the concrete slab? Is it flush with the ground or does it sit 3 inches high?  How wet of an area did you put it in? If you have a sand box then I would think water shouldn't be around but clay - yep.
The slab is about 4 inches off the ground.
The concrete slab walls are completely dry. its only about an inch directly touching the bottom of the tub that has this wet look. I can see the wet look concrete around the tub. I opened up panel where the pumps are located and everything seems dry from the inside.

I haven't ventured to open any other sides aside from the pump side. still a bit chilly to work outside +/- 3deg C

If you open up your sides - feel the foam to see if it's wet. Shut the tub down, let it sit there for a week and see if it drained itself.

I had a leak as I noticed that I had a wet side on my tub. I also had to add a lot of water (2 to 3 inches) to the tub every few week without anyone using it. Since I kind of knew the side I decided after a very long while to takle it, let the tub drain to it's lowest level so I knew how high to look and it turned out to be a stupid easy repair.

Just a FYI and I believe most people do not think about leaks/repairs but you should be able to get to all 4 sides of the tub and also be able to remove the panels if need be.

My Artesian Spa Dealer says "Artesians don't leak" I'm really crossing my fingers hoping he is right. I'll be opening up other panels when it gets slightly warmer.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:40:31 am »
"My Artesian Spa Dealer says "Artesians don't leak" I'm really crossing my fingers hoping he is right. I'll be opening up other panels when it gets slightly warmer."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Anything, that holds water can eventually leak. ANYTHING! This includes ANY spa, with all it's plumbing and equipment and everything glued and attached together. In fact, I can GUARANTEE you that eventually, EVERY spa will start to leak.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:45:19 am »
"My Artesian Spa Dealer says "Artesians don't leak" I'm really crossing my fingers hoping he is right. I'll be opening up other panels when it gets slightly warmer."

Anything, that holds water can eventually leak. ANYTHING! This includes ANY spa, with all it's plumbing and equipment and everything glued and attached together. In fact, I can GUARANTEE you that eventually, EVERY spa will start to leak.

Plus 1

I think you would know by now if it was leaking by what your describing. You would be adding water daily or a couple times a week. Most times you would see a trail of water coming off the slab. Spa's with complete bases will hold water before leaking sometimes.  Like suggested I would open a panel or two and stick your hand down in to the btm see if it's wet. 

Letran

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 01:45:55 pm »

What!!! I was lied to!!! :-)

I never believed it, but I wanted to repeat it anyway. It is comical.

I knew it could leak at some point, but its less than three months old!!.

When it gets warmer I will open up the other panels. I'm a bit afraid what I might find out. But I guess better now than later

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 07:11:47 pm »
Call that dealer who said it would never leak and tell him you suspect a leak. Have him look at it. Maybe he can explain it as condensation from the cover, or a particular spot on the side that splashes over easier.
Retired

Letran

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 03:46:09 pm »
Okay since I suspect leaking I'm monitoring the water level

Since I used it last which was last weekend Sunday, Feb 28

from Sunday to Sunday yesterday March 6th, my water level is an inch and a bit lower.

The tub is always covered unless it is being used. I did not use it for a week and the water level is bout more than an inch lower.

Is that a concern. Is that normal?

And no unfortunately still have had a chance to open the other panels to see. (its still cold outside) I just opened to pump side panel and it was completely dry there.

Thanks again in advance

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 01:24:06 am »
I vote for leak
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 05:44:54 pm »
I vote for leak

Yeah, I think it may be.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 06:59:37 pm »
 Plus 3  Guessing the dealer will tell you it's the first one.  Hope they get it taken care of for you. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 06:59:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42