What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My Spa Problem  (Read 3944 times)

justme0987

My Spa Problem
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:06:56 am »
I have a hot tub, I noticed that the motor started to make noise when it turns on. I took the motor and pump out and replaced the bearing and the seal. I installed it back. There is no noise now and no leak.
I connected the motor electric wires exactly the same way they were before.
After connecting the power, there is light in the LCD, then I pushed the jet bottom, I felt that the motor tried to start with the low speed, but there was not jets coming. Then I pushed the same button again then the high jets started  and the water gradually heated to the set temp of 102.
I left the spa for 6 hours and came back to chack on it, there is error message HH, the water is just warm. I pushed the jet button twice then the fast jet  started again, then a temp of 106 showed in the LCD, after a minute the real temp showed as 98, gardually the temp started to go up to the set temp of 102.
It appears that the slow jet tries to start spontaneously but it is not moving the water inside the hot top, you can hear it's noise.
When I push the jet button once I can hear noise but no slow jet, when I push it again the fast jet starts and strong jets , Now when I push the button again the slow jet will work and everything looks fine. This goes on until the set temp is reached.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

My Spa Problem
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:06:56 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: My Spa Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:21:44 am »
Try to find the motor and see if you can replace the starting capacitor, that may be your culprit.

justme0987

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 04:39:37 pm »
The Spa type is Madrid Palm Beach
It is also called Strong Premium
The motor is Waterway dual speed
WATERWAY - 56F VIPER PUMP, 4.0hp, 230v, 2-spd, 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" - 3721621-1V

Can be seen at this link
Pool Spa Supplies | WATERWAY - 56F VIPER PUMP, 4.0hp, 230v, 2-spd, 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" - 3721621-1V[/img]

justme0987

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:43:25 pm »
[/img]

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:54 pm »
The hump on the back of the pump is the starting capacitor, it may have staycons or screws on the terminals to remove it. It would be your cheapest try at a repair at this point.

justme0987

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 07:24:08 pm »
[/img]
I took the Capacitor out, I went to check it in a capacitor store and I checked it my self, the pictures are enclosed. It appears to be good.
Do I still need to replace it?
I can order it online but I do not want to order and wait one week for it to arrive and the one that I have is good

Thanks

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:57 pm »
The pictures aren't coming through ...

But it seems that a starting capacitor should start it up on low (less voltage) or if the pump uses 2 different sets of windings (doubtful). You are having a problem with the pump on low but not on high which would indicate to me that the lower voltage doesn't have enough oomph to start the motor which is what a starting cap is for. I could be totally wrong and there is a different issue, I don't repair spas for a living. When I troubleshoot things (which I do for a living) and nothing is pointing to a definite source of the problem I will replace the lowest price item that seems likely  to cause an issue. Of course the problem could be that the motor is not getting enough voltage on low speed to start the pump up and you'll need to know what that voltage is supposed to be and using a meter try and figure out if you're getting it.

Not seeing, hearing or witnessing the problem I can only think what it could be  - the pump is $270, a cap is probably a fraction of that. If it is a voltage problem it could be a relay went bad or however the pump is turned on is not working correctly or is not providing enough voltage. How I see it, a spa tech will probably cost you more then the cost of the cap to come out and diagnose the problem.

justme0987

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 09:34:09 pm »
Thanks for your reply
The meter reads 49.82
I agree with you it may be the low voltage and it worth checking but if the low voltage is the possible cause why after using the fast jet then the low jet will work?
I just tried it again today: when I checked the Hot tub today there was a error message of HH
I pushed the jet button once there was humming but no low jets, I pushed it again then the high jet started and the real temp showed as 98, then I pushed the jet button again then low jet started and was working for 2 hours, the temp came up to the set temp of 102. And everything looks good.
Do you know by any chance what the low voltage should read?

justme0987

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »
my capacitor is
CSC
628318-313
50.0 UF +-6% 370 VAC/B

justme0987

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:00:05 pm »
The meter reads 49.82 FOR THE CAPACITOR

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 06:20:13 am »
What is the voltage when the pump is running on low?

Your description of the problem - pump runs on low when set back from high - made me think that the pump is spinning so the low speed doesn't need the extra push of the starting capacitor. I don't know what the voltage is supposed to be on low speed, can't be of much help there.

justme0987

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 10:50:33 am »
Thanks for your input
I will order a new motor with the pump.
Getting someone to look at it cost me $125 in our area.
The new motor will cost $300
I will install myself

Thanks

justme0987

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 04:01:03 pm »
Thanks
I was able to figure out the problem and fix it.
I like to share this with the users as it may be helpful.
As I mentioned before the capacitor checked to be good.
Also because the low speed starts only after I turn on the high jets, I though that there may be something that is interfering with the free spinning of the motor.
I did some work on this motor, replaced the bearing and the seal.
I also replaced the slinger. When I replaced the slinger I noticed that it is around 2 mm wider than the provided space, I had to apply a little bit of tension on the screw bolts to hold wet part with the motor. After doing this I noticed that it is difficult to spin the motor manually. I had to loosen the screw bolts a little bit to be able to spin the motor. After using the motor I noticed the current problem low speed starts only after I turn on the high jets
Today I decided to remove the slinger and tighten the screw bolts.
The motor is spinning freely manually,
Evereything is working like a champ.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:39 pm »
That's great!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42