What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used Small Hot Tub?  (Read 2729 times)

Nhsusan

Used Small Hot Tub?
« on: October 24, 2015, 04:42:57 am »
I am shopping for a used small 2-3 person hot tub. It will be just me most of the time with an occasional friend joining me.
I live in NH and my hot tub will be outside.
How old is too old?
There is a Solana for sale but it's a 2002.
Are any smaller models better insulated for being outside?
Is it better to go "newer" to save on the electric bill?
I can only spend about $1k.
Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Used Small Hot Tub?
« on: October 24, 2015, 04:42:57 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Used Small Hot Tub?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:15:42 pm »
It looks like the Solana was made by Hot Springs, many people have spas by them that are over 10 YO. I know nothing about that spa but ...

If it is running then you could take a chance on it. Make sure it functions the way it should - pumps run, heats the water and anything else it is supposed to do. AND doesn't leak!

I have a 2005 tub that is in great shape - it isn't brand spanking new and needs a couple of new jets, I have repaired a leak and a pump seal and it needs another repair but it is 10 YO.

I suspect that it's 120 volt which means it'll heat slowly, not be able to maintain heat if the pump(s) are on if you're outside soaking for a long while but it should be able to maintain heat for a 20 minute soak (pumps can and do generate some heat). As far as energy efficiency, it's a small tub and I don't think insulation technology has changed much since 2002 so it'll be about as efficient as any other smallish tub IMO as long as it still has it's insulation intact.

Oh, one last thing - cover - they can cost a few hundred bucks so if it's not in good condition you may need to buy one.

Hopefully this helps!

Nhsusan

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 05:34:50 am »
Yes, it helps. Thank you.
There is so much to learn. This forum is awesome.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 01:59:18 pm »
I am shopping for a used small 2-3 person hot tub. It will be just me most of the time with an occasional friend joining me.
I live in NH and my hot tub will be outside.
How old is too old?
There is a Solana for sale but it's a 2002.
Are any smaller models better insulated for being outside?
Is it better to go "newer" to save on the electric bill?
I can only spend about $1k.
Thanks

If you can see it running, the cover is good and the price is right then its a small gamble and if it works out then maybe you can save for an upgrade in the future.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Nhsusan

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 06:22:15 pm »
My thoughts exactly. Try it out for a few years, see how much I enjoy it and then invest in a new spa.
Thank you

Isaac-1

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:45:21 am »
One good thing about smaller tubs is that you can often find ones that have lead sheltered lives either indoors, or on covered patios, in  sun rooms, etc.  I have a 1998 Hot Spring Jetsetter I bought a couple of years ago that spent most / all of its life indoors and other than a few small scuff marks on the redwood, it still looks nearly brand new.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:45:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42