What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie advice on Marquis 212  (Read 5892 times)

brenda

Newbie advice on Marquis 212
« on: July 13, 2004, 07:37:39 am »
After MUCH research on this site (thank you!), we are leaning towards purchasing a Marquis 212.  Were able to wet test a Marquis Spirit, and have to wait 4 weeks until they get a 212 in to test.  In the meantime, a few questions:
1) Anyone have one?  What do you think?
2) We live 90 minutes from the dealer, who wants to charge $300 for delivery.  I have a truck and friends, and could (probably) do it myself to save the $, but have concerns we might possible damage it.  It needs to be carried through the house to our deck...
3) It has a redwood skirting.  What would anyone recommend to treat?  Varnish?  Thompsons waterseal?
4) Has anyone had problems with Marquis dealers charging travel fees to honor warranties?  The local Hot Springs dealer put this idea in my head.  Marquis dealer says "no", but I'd like to hear real-life experiences.
Thanks so much for any feedback!

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie advice on Marquis 212
« on: July 13, 2004, 07:37:39 am »

Tubber

Re: Newbie advice on Marquis 212
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 08:01:30 am »
You are obviously out of the Marquis dealers service area. This is why they are going to charge you for travel to deliver and service the spa.

"In some cases, reasonable repair person travel charges may be assessed if you live beyond the normal servicing area of the Factory Authorized Agent"

Quoted from the HotSpring Warranty. This is standard procedure for any dealer doing service or delivery out of their normal service area. Maybe you should point that out to the Local HotSpring dealer as I am sure they would do the exact same thing if you were not in thier normal service area.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 08:22:17 am »
I'd pay the $300 and have the dealer place the spa.  If it gets dropped or otherwise damaged by you, repair cost is on you.  No warranty on this type of damage.
If the installer damages the spa they pay.  The dealer has an incentive to be very careful, they have the correct equipment, and people trained to move the spa safely.  Small price to pay, in my opinion.  Not to mention any potential damage you might do to your house if you try lug a spa thru it.  These things are heavy.  How much does your model weigh, and are you prepared to handle that much weight?

Brewman

Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 09:09:16 am »
Although I don't have a Marquis, the cost for my Optima included a $300 delivery and installation charge which was done by crane.  I could have saved that amount, but ya know sumthin, I'm at an age where I want service. In addition, if they drop it they pay for it. So for me, even though the dealer is fairly close, at the price that you are paying, an extra little for delivery and complete peace of mind without putting your back out seemed to me very much worth it.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 11:02:09 am »
The 212 is from the everyday line and it is one of the few spas that you can actually pick up with a truck if you wish to do so....its shape and weight make it fairly easy for someone ( and a friend or two) to handle...surprisingly it is one of Marquis best selling spas...I think if you are looking for a 2 person spa that is easy to set up...You will enjoy it.....

zzaphod42

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 10:52:23 am »
I would also recommend having the dealer put the tub in place for you. I assume they will also be providing start-up chemicals along with the delivery of the tub?

As for travel charges, if you are leary about them, get it in writing that you won't be charged any, since that is what they are claiming anyway. Some dealers are willing to travel farther than others without charging the customer for the service.

Joe

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 11:52:36 am »
I would almost always recommend having the dealer place the spa but, in this case, the 212 is so small and so portable that if you are pretty handy pick it up yourself. You can move it with a hand truck dolly and it will run on 110 or 220. The electrical conversion is simple and has full instructions. With the durabase and durashell it's a pretty tough little spa and start-up is a cinch on that.

Lucas

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 09:53:27 pm »
Get ur friend to help you out.  Strap it down securely, and throw a nice party with the money you saved.  Or maybe I can do it for $200.

Pooldevil

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 07:58:02 am »
Hi
We have just set up the 212 in our showroom as a display model and the power to the jets is right up there with the best !
We have a much bigger tub at home and are considering changing to a 212 as there is just the two of us using it.
You must not use varnish on redwood as over the years it will peel off and that is not easy to fix.  Use either a water based repellant or spirit that does not form a skin.
We do not charge for call out here in the UK but then you are a 3 hour round trip ... you will have to sort this with your dealer.
One thing you will get with the 212 is reliability - great pump units.
Enjoy your spa ....
Curt

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 07:58:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42